Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stainless steel exhausts

Gav Peter

Country Flag
england
The back bit of the exhaust came off our T Reg Colorado last year & I'm sure the MOT is looming which it will inevitably fail on...

So, I had a chat with the guys at PECO in the week, they are 'just down the road' from me in Birkenhead. I got a box off them for my exhaust build on Muxley & they are a very helpful lot.

Talking blind, he reckonned an absolute maximum of ~£250 for a 2½" stainless steel system with one box in it but if we could do a batch of ten, the price should fall even lower. They'd use my truck as a template & it would all be mandrel bent tubing etc etc.

I'm going to have to get something done on mine whatever but thought I'd punt it out here in case anyone is interested in a similar setup.

Cheers

I am very interested in this! I have been wondering about cutting the big silencer box out of mine. What size box did you have in mind?

I was kindof going to go with their reccomendation on box size really - the one I fitted to Muxley was about 15" long & 8" wide oval & that keeps things to a dull roar on the 3" system there.

I can ask about that when I pop in to see them - supply the flexi too?

Hi

I am very intrested in a S/S for my 80 needs a bit more grunt and noise :p

Let me know whats happening Gav.

Mal :flags-wavegreatbritain:

Gav Peter said:
I was kindof going to go with their reccomendation on box size really - the one I fitted to Muxley was about 15" long & 8" wide oval & that keeps things to a dull roar on the 3" system there.

I can ask about that when I pop in to see them - supply the flexi too?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the flexi?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Isn't there a braided bit on the end of the down pipe from the turbo/manifold on the '95? I'll check at lunch & post a pic...

Gav Peter said:
Isn't there a braided bit on the end of the down pipe from the turbo/manifold on the '95? I'll check at lunch & post a pic...

I'm not sure but I think you may be right - I've heard someone else talk about it to prevent cracking. I'm not sure if the person was talking about std or an aftermarket exhaust.

hi i am also interested in a full stainless exhaust system,

keep us up to date with what is being offered and at what price.

cheers roy

I suppose you oil-burners don't need to worry about Cats...... on my 3.4V6 the braided part of the exhaust is just in front of the Cat.

I have a "Cat-back" SS system which cost around £300 at the time (around '06). It just has one centre box and is a little louder than the OEM item - which was/is dealer only and was nearly £700 at the time. :shock: :evil:

Hey chaps, just to say Peco's work is the mutts nuts. They had my truck on the rolling road for my s/s system and tried 3 different designs to make sure I got the best torque output. I've no doubt they'll do the same to Gavs 90 and this then should transfer the extra torque/economy to any other truck fitted with the same system :thumbup:

chadr said:
I suppose you oil-burners don't need to worry about Cats
Yeah, sorry Chad - Tonka is an oil burner :|

roy said:
keep us up to date with what is being offered and at what price.
Willdo Roy - if we can get enough folk on board, the discount could see it much lower than the £250 mark :cool:

Jimbo4x4 said:
just to say Peco's work is the mutts nuts.
I remembered you getting yours done Jimster :cool:

I`ll be getting back under mine hopefully this weekend (weather permitting )so I`ll have a look at the exhaust and add to the list if I need one ,if thats ok thanks

hi there any news on the exhaust front ?

cheers roy

Not yet Roy - I'll be calling in to them later this week/early next week though. I get my Colorado back with an MOT certificate this afternoon so will be able to move forwards thereafter...

Cheers

"Holy thread ressurection Batman!!!"

Yes thats right [strike:1nlo7y2e]Robin[/strike:1nlo7y2e] chaps, I finally got down to Peco yesterday afternoon... :thumbup:

But the guy they needed to look at the truck had already naffed orf for the day... :thumbdown:

So, my good lady wife has agreed to take the truck down on Monday so they can get it on the ramps & have a quick gander to make sure there's no sillies going on.

I had a good chat with Mike & the system they propose would either be from Ø2¼" or Ø2½" O/D stainless tube with a 'straight though' box where the existing big one is. The system would be through from the turbo to exit. They'd need it for two days to do the system.

One of his comments was that there wouldn't be a great deal of performance gain from it in either size... I think I'll go with Ø2½" anyway... I'm not really looking for performance, just a zorst that isn't going to fall to peices & hopefully outlive the truck... It'd be nice if it did help out a bit but hey, lets see once its one.

Anyhoo, once they've had a gander over it, I'll talk money with him - he said if there was maybe five systems there would be a cost saving which would be good for us.

Will let you know how we go from here :cool:

Cheers

A 3" dump pipe with 2.5" for the rest as you described would be good. I think it is because the gas comes out very hot, but then cools down (and contracts) quite quickly. Also ask about a flexi piece as I've heard that they can crack without it.

Okee dokes ET, will ask the question on the dump pipe & yes, I'm assuming there will be a flexi in there too :cool:

So PECO had a gander at me truck in the week & I am waiting for them to come back with some figures.

They can't do the 3" pipe off the turbo though ET - 2½" O/D is the biggest that they can manipulate with their equipment...

I'll update when I get back from the Pyrenees in a week.

Cheers

Cheers Gav. I've recently discovered that there are not many places in the UK with equipment that can bend 3" pipe.

Back