Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stainless steel shackles

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
Are Stainless steel shackles stronger than ordinary steel ones? I'm about to buy some new shackles and would like to get the best, also what size, as in diameter would be best for recovery purposes?

I'd imagine a stainless steel shackle would be a very expensive item. I don't know that I've seen them... Have you fond some??

Shackles are load rated Chas. Their 'capacity'/SWL is usually stamped on the loop & the pin size is determined as part of the rating. I have some stupidly large shackles that everyone tales the p!ss out of but one day, oh yes, one day they shall be worth carrying!!! :mrgreen:

Sizewise, everyone will have an opinion & it will depend how you're rigging them up on a given situation... I'd have thought 2½-3T would be sufficient - I can't remember whats in my bag... I'll check later for you :cool:

Cheers

You need a mix of sizes Chas. Make sure you have a couple that will fit whatever recovery points you have so size is determined by your truck. If you have a winch and snatch block you'll need one big enough to take two strap eyes and the snatch block rating will depend on your winch and block but one that is big enough for straps etc is likely to be rated high enough. If you have extension ropes, make sure you have a size that fits the eyes on those. Then throw in an extra one of each size for good measure :)

The yield strength of stainless (being the point where the unit starts to deform) is significantly lower than that of a cold rolled carbon steel (although its ultimate strength is often marginally higher). This isn't much use for recovery, as you have to throw items away that show any deformation. The other point is that stainless is very very expensive- you'd be better finding a good supplier and regularly throwing away heavily used items to ensure their safety. Realistically you aren't going to want to throw away stainless shackles very often!

Considering the above stainless recovery items would only be worth the extra in maritime conditions.

You would be best finding shackles and pins with very very high SWL- there used to be a company who supplied red painted shackles that were very well made- does anyone know who this may be? can't find the link!

Back