Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Staring problems.

Pablito

My 1985 BJ73 (Diesel, 3B engine) sometimes has a bit of trouble starting, particularly when its a bit cold. I have heard a clicking noise when I didn't rev the engine and the car didn't start. Usually, when the engine sounds like it having trouble starting i give it a few revs to send some fuel through. When she starts a big smokey cloud spews out the exhaust. There is no smoky cloud when it starts as usual.

Also a couple of weeks ago when driving it jerked a bit, like perhaps the fuel wasnt getting through momentarily. I could also hear a click (perhaps like a relay coming from the passengers side). This happened only on 2 occasions.

The starting problem first occurred after the crusier was sitting around for week or so. I also put in a fuel additive (that cleans the engine, improves fuel economy etc...) in for the first time.

I have changed the glow plugs myself a few weeks before this started happening, and i had no problems for a few weeks. I'm not sure if I have done anything wrong with the glow plugs installation.

Some days it starts fine, probably (at least) 1 in 10 mornings it has trouble. I live in sydney, australia where it isnt too cold (while camping it blew a big cloud one cold morning)

Any ideas???

Cheers

August in Sydney is Winter, but just how cold is cold? As an experiment, next time it gets cold, pour 2 litres of boiling water over the inlet manifold before you try and start the engine. If it starts normally, when, due to the cold it may have given you problems, it's confirmation that your problem is the heater plugs/circuit. Why did you change the plugs in the first place?

Roger

you stated that you have issues while driving as well as of late.
i would say check your return line and manual pump for air leakage. you won't see fuel coming out but air can still get in.
can make for inconsistant starts and burps on the road.

start cheap and work up.

Having a similar problem... Battery appears dead (Its not) and can hear clicking from a relay (or similar) under the steering column when I turn on any lights etc.

Also have the burping problem once per day approx. 1 kilometer from my house (Near the same spot every morning).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back