Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

starter motor : 28100-17030 or 28100-17050

Firewout

Garage
Country Flag
belgium
hi guys,
during the MOT test this morning, the starter motor thought that it would be the right moment to start smoking and spinning.
I had to disconnect the 2 batteries and the MOT guys pushed it outside the garage.
looking for a new starter motor now and saw 2 part numbers for the HDFT engine.

in my epc, the 17030 is listed but I wonder what the difference is between the 2.

starter contacts have replaced last year btw.

The 17030 is for 92-96
The 17050 is for 96-98
Both 24 volt 4.5 kw

Beware. One has 5 teeth, the other 6. You need to find out which one you have.

You may not need to replace it. You say the starter contacts were replaced, could it be the back plate screws have come loose on the solenoid? I had this where the plate fell off and the plunger moved against the contacts and it set light to my starter so HAD to be replaced. :scared-eek::angry-extinguishfl:
Also, did you replace with the extended contacts?
Lastly give Robson and Francis a call for replacement motor or parts. You will need to check the amount of teeth on the pinion.

12 teeth
extended contacts
back plate screws ok
my best guess : contact ring shifted and shorted the 12 volt coming from start relay.
found new starter in Holland for 125 euro delivered. mfg WAIglobal 32893N
DSCN3064-1199.jpg

In that case there are either 5 or 6 teeth on the 1HD-T whereas you were talking about the 1HD-FT. My bad.

€125 delivered sounds far too cheap to me. Hope it’s worth the money.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
In that case there are either 5 or 6 teeth on the 1HD-T whereas you were talking about the 1HD-FT.

I think we had this come up last year? There are 12 teeth on the 24v starter on the 1 HDT, and HD-FT, there is a 12 volt 12 teeth version 2.5kw. On the 100 (HD-FT) , they are 12 volt (3kw) and have 11 teeth.

12v.jpeg

11 teeth 12 volt 3kw

24v.jpeg

12 teeth 24v 4.5kw

24v 4.5 kw versus 12v 3kw 11 teeth.jpg

Side by side pic.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Maybe I was just 6 teeth out! :doh:
I knew there was 1 tooth difference. Mine has 12 in that case though i accidentally fitted an 11 tooth one and it worked for about 6 years until it stripped the teeth. :doh: But replaced the pinion with the 12 tooth one and all is good now. :icon-cool: Mine was a 24Volt on a 12 valve 1HD-T

Last edited:
12 teeth
extended contacts
back plate screws ok
my best guess : contact ring shifted and shorted the 12 volt coming from start relay.
found new starter in Holland for 125 euro delivered. mfg WAIglobal 32893N
View attachment 141789
I think I’d be going back to the plunger supplier (presumably you replaced the plunger when you replaced the contacts) and having some words with them. Something clearly isn’t right in there for that to happen under normal conditions. Could it be the spring got displaced?

:oops::wtf: erm no....
Ok, so original plunger. Was that a Denso starter or an aftermarket?

I’m just trying to work out how this happened in a normal condition so if need be it could perhaps be prevented.

Denso
DSCN3065-1199.jpg

this is how it looked before I put the new contacts in :
DSCN2217-1199.jpg
DSCN2218-1199.jpg

this is how it looks now :
it smoked a lot and the motor was spinning freely without the contact being on. The plunger was stuck with the contacts closed.
DSCN3064-1199.jpg
DSCN3066-1199.jpg
DSCN3067-1199.jpg
DSCN3068-1199.jpg
DSCN3069-1199.jpg

Plunger and contacts are traditionally replaced as a set.

Already a known issue on the 80's replacing just one half exacerbated the problem, I did not know you could purchase them separately?

TBH I thought Toyota sold a kit, this had the plunger, spring, a pair of contacts, and the necessary insulators and nuts?

Regards

Dave

Back