Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Starter motor knackered?

Trevor

Country Flag
england
Had some good fun in the 120 in the snow and decided to have a go in the 70. It's been standing since Oct last year and after topping up the battery charge went to start it but no go. I can hear the click when turning the key and another click a few seconds later so assume the soleniod is working. Then tried pulling it with the 120 while the 70 was in 2nd gear to get the engine to crank over a few times and free off the starter but no joy again.

New starter or should I consider stripping it down and refurbing something or other?

Trevor ive got one spare. i bought it from milners, and only had it fitted for a few thousand miles before fitting the 3 litre. :thumbup:

drop me a PM if your interested. ;)

oh and if you need any other 70 bits ive got a few bits and pieces.

rear lights, decent radiator, and no doubt loads of other bits i cant think of right now. :)

Try a different battery to rule that out first.

Pete

If you have pulled the truck with the 120 trevor as long as the lights were on the dash it should start even if starter is shot.

Karl

Trevor said:
Had some good fun in the 120 in the snow and decided to have a go in the 70. It's been standing since Oct last year and after topping up the battery charge went to start it but no go. I can hear the click when turning the key and another click a few seconds later so assume the soleniod is working. Then tried pulling it with the 120 while the 70 was in 2nd gear to get the engine to crank over a few times and free off the starter but no joy again.

New starter or should I consider stripping it down and refurbing something or other?

sounds like you just pulled it but didn't actually try to bump start it? if so why not try actually try bump or jump starting it?

that will tell you alot more about whether it is a starting issue or fueling or just a 'sitting' issue.

Prob a solenoid rebuild needed. (Plus a battery or two?) Solenoid goes "clicky" a lot more often than a starter blows. :ugeek:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back