Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

starting issues

karl webster

Supporter
Guru
Starting issues yet again.
Yet again this mornin mux wouldnt start. Spent a hour on him and in the end put batteries on the import and set off.
Turning over slowly like a battery is down. The cold must be killing somthing but what i dont know.
Sick to the back teeth of the pile of srap :cry:

Hey Karl

Electrickery not my strong point but is there either a bad earth somewhere? (Have you checked brushes in starter (I cant recall if you have mentioned this elsewhere). I had a Pajero do that - starter was getting burned out and it behaved like a dying battery.

Good luck

it's not scrap, not quite!!

Something very odd here buddy - you just put two new batteries in there didn't you? And spent the weekend on good long drives...

Have mentioned this before adrian yes. thought i had got it sorted. Been fine all weekend.
Maybe it is the starter.
Just had enough of It. Problem after problem. Just set off in the import gone to the garage to put some fuel in and they havnt got any diesel so set off to ashbourne and ran out. Managed to get home and even more pixxed off now. Not a good start to the week after a good weekend :snooty:

What happened on the paj was a fuel pump problem - bear with me a sec - it would start - run for a few mins and then stall. then youd have to run the starter for a good while to get her to fire. eventually it burned out the starter contacts. slow cranking like a dying battery.

iirc you've been having some starting issues and have been cranking her a LOT recently. just might be thats fried them - starter contacts are cheap and its not to bad a mission to fix - and you may have another starter handy you can swop in for now and then refurb the contacts and solenoid plunger in the one you have then swop them again?

Good luck mate - the week can get better.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mine wouldn't start yesterday either. Spun over like a goodun, but wouldn't fire at all. Pulled the fuel hose - nothing in there. Gone! Somehow it had all drained back to the tank. What's that all about? Had to prime the fuel hose with a can. Went first time them. Put a clear hose on and sucked the fuel up through the filter. Man that took some doing. The FP really has a hell of a job to do to pull fuel through. The hand primer on mine does not work. It wouldn't even push the fuel up the clear pipe that I stuck on.

It fired up OK today though in -11. I really think that I need to investigate a pusher pump near the tank.

Something not right with yours Karl, clearly. Give me a shout if you want a hand. I finish tonight!

Chris

PS, as Adrian says - starter contacts are a good fix. I have some older ones here that we might be able to clean up and stick in.

Thanks cris.
Im going to go and put a different starter on it. Then maybe think about having some starters reconed. The import has had to have a tap this morning on the starter after a punch on the bonnet (hand hurts) Just had enough this morning.

It will be fuel filter housing on way out with yours cris. Mine does it when the car is parked on a hill but ok on level ground.

Anyway ill go and have another look. Got jonnie on way to pick another steering lock up.Some twats have tried pinching his car from wales :whistle:

Karl before you swap the starter again why not put some new contacts in the solenoid of the replacement? They don't cost much and make a big difference to starter reliability :)

I will have to look into it jon. Funny how the cold can get to the starter though.
See what happens tomoz. Got it running today and since then its starterd straight away as it should.
karl

karl wester said:
Starting issues yet again.... Turning over slowly like a battery is down.
Is Mux an auto or manual?

If it's a manual, try putting your foot on the clutch before turning the key, during the winter of 81/82 I had an old Transit that was very sluggish on the starter when cold. It turns out that the oil in the gearbox was like treacle in the extreme cold temps and the starter was trying to stir the contents of the gearbox as well as the engine.

If yours is an auto, I have just wasted 5 minutes typing this out :D :D

Hey paul.
Thanks for the imput mate but it is a auto. But gav did put something up on here abit ago regarding his hi low being very stiff. I have noticed my auto box being the same with these cold mornings.Maybe fluid in the auto box???
Any thoughts or isnt it possible?

Thanks karl

Aye, but it turned out to be gloopy oil, nothing more sinister... Phew... :cool:

Back