Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Starting problem

Cleveland Pitcher

Country Flag
united_states
I have a 1990 land cruiser prado. When I go to start it for the first time it won't start unless I hit it with just a short blast of starter fluid. Once started it will start every time after. Even if I let it set for an hour or so it will start but next morning it wants another shot of starter fluid. When I say shot I'm talking not even a second worth of spray. What causes this? I was told it could be the fuel spill control but not sure.

Your American so specs are different from most of us on here but it seems very unlikely a 1990 Prado belongs in the landcruiser 80 series section of the forum ?

Regardless - fuel is the first thing to rule out so connect a bottle of it direct to the pump and see what happens then .

Agreed - fuel could be the issue. One common issue for Prado/90 series is the steel fuel pipe on top of the fuel tank gets a little rust hole and allows air into the fuel line overnight. This is true for diesels anyway.

Attachments

• 7A30E823-D563-4B2D-9BD1-C6607FE24224.jpeg
    7A30E823-D563-4B2D-9BD1-C6607FE24224.jpeg
    513 KB · Views: 15
Yep air getting in allowing air to run back towards the tank, and of course glow plugs if you have them.

Regards

Dave

Back