Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

steel 16' wheels

I must be one of the few that have broken a OEM alloy. Took a chunk out of one with no damage to the tyre. I have only bent a steel wheel on a LR, again no damage to the tyre. Straightened the wheel out and air back in and it was ok.

Fair one Paul.I have had a number of trucks that have had major hits to the wheels and have bent the axels so much that they are scrap. The last one I had to cut the axle to get the snapped front half shaft out.

I got flat spots (out of round) on the inside of 3 OEM alloys before I switched to OEM steels on my old 80. Didn't notice any difference performance wise switching to steels, the big tyres had taken care of that. Also flat spotted a 100 series 16" OEM alloy. The OEM steels are very heavy as has been said though so not a no brainer if no one is breaking the alloys overlanding where you tend to take less risks than messing about in the UK? Not sure which I will use when I eventually get bigger tyres, I have both.

Last edited:
Place called muddybits 4x4 in Longford can get you steel modulars yogi,pm me for the number if you like.cheers

Mick

I must be one of the few that have broken a OEM alloy. Took a chunk out of one with no damage to the tyre. I have only bent a steel wheel on a LR, again no damage to the tyre. Straightened the wheel out and air back in and it was ok.

Never done it with a landcruiser wheel but I have done it several times with car and trailer steel wheels and I've not damaged the tyre on a good few occasions. And I've always been able to beat the rim back into usable form at least, not perfectly circular brand new form, but enough to use again without any problems.

I'm actually quite surprised by that link and other comments about OEM alloys here, I had always been led to believe that the consensus of opinion was that alloys were a weak point, because they CAN'T bend and will certainly crack if they do and you try to hammer them back into shape.

So I'm really still in 2 minds.

Paul do you think the extra weight of the steel wheels makes much difference?

In my opinion if you're going remote and weight is a factor (it always is), the risk/benefit of having 2 alloy spares will far outweigh the risk/benefit of having steels and potentially only 1 spare. You're far more likely to shred a tyre(s) than crack a rim.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just think of the weight saved not taking a variety of large hammers and a lightweight anvil :lol:

Andy

When I had steels on my GS I certainly noticed a difference to the steering, brakes and ride on rougher surfaces compared with the VX with OEM alloys both with 275 BFG's A/T. There was only a slight difference when I moved up to 285's so it must have been the steels adding to the unsprung weight.

Andy

better add a forge to that list Andy, I think you'll need heat as well for an OEM 80 series 16x8 steel :lol: The tyres were ok on the alloys I damaged and I didn't manage to damage a steel doing similar to stupider things as did for the alloys.

Thats the word that sums it up "stupider". Yes you would have to be doing something extreme to damage an OEM wheel but the question is, would you?

Andy

So I'm really still in 2 minds.

I think the general consensus coupled with the fact Karl is practically giving away a set of alloys with tyres to boot would make the decision quite easy for me Yogi .

I'v bought japanese fit 16" steels from Paddocks landrover spares before, although you'll have to ring them to order. I think It works out the same price as their advertised landrover rims

Thats the word that sums it up "stupider". Yes you would have to be doing something extreme to damage an OEM wheel but the question is, would you?
Stupid as in mistakes not extreme stuff e.g. catching a tree stump hidden in long grass - should have gone more carefully :whistle: That article was interesting but ultimately meaningless imo because of its ambiguity - which specific OEM wheels did they test, unless I missed that? My only experience of these steels is with big tyres which is why I have been curious to know how people get on with them on smaller sizes and read this thread with interest.

I suppose every incidence of wheel damage is specific to that incident,i.e. someone may knock a chunk out of an OEM alloy and the tyre stay up, the next incident the tyre will be damaged and go down so there are no hard and fast rules in this one. I agree with Jon in the fact that the OEM steels are very strong although one of the set I sold I has to straighten the rim before I painted them so obviously they are not indestructible, it could be argued what bent that rim might have broken an alloy or taken a chunk out or not who knows?
Maybe OEM steels may have an advantage if a truck is fully expedition prepped and maybe 30% heavier than standard?

Andy

Jon, could you remind us how heavy your truck was when you bent your OEM alloys?

I agree with Jon in the fact that the OEM steels are very strong although one of the set I sold I has to straighten the rim before I painted them so obviously they are not indestructible
How did you get it back into shape? That 8mm steel must take a lot of force to knock them into shape?

Jon, could you remind us how heavy your truck was when you bent your OEM alloys?
I only put it on a weighbridge once and it was close to 3500kg, I can't remember now if it was just under or just over but I suspect it was just over. Wasn't a full tank of fuel, wasn't loaded for a trip, but I did have a lot of stuff that was in it permanently e.g. tools, spare parts, ground anchor, chainsaw etc all very ott but useful when it was needed and thinking about it can't think of anything I didn't use so maybe not so ott after all :shifty: So packing for a trip would have only added a few things but I was on day trips when wheels were damaged.

IMHO with the weight of the axles, un-sprung weight is the least of my concerns.

But, I run aftermarket 10" x 16 steels and with BFG Muds on they're bl00dy heavy!

I'm more concerned about my back these days! :character-oldtimer: It's shot to pieces!

if it was me overlanding then I would go with alloys to save the weight. but when I find some steel wheels at the right price I will get some.

BTW I was out laning with Ben before he went to Oz when I took a chunk out of the wheel. but it is still on my 80 series with it still holding air!!!

I got my 16x8 (-32 offset) steelies from JCS tyres in derby ...

Back