Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering play kzj 78

Catahoula

Country Flag
belgium
Hi to all,
I have a kzj78 1993 model, my question is, is it normal to have abit of steering play in these models? I have changed everything possible that has to do with the steering, it is much better but the steering always feels like it still has abit of play. When driving fast in a straight line the car moves straight without a problem, but I always feel like I am adjusting the steering wheel as if there is an empty space before the steering actually moves the tires. Maybe it's because I am comparing to recent model cars and how thee feel. I would appreciate all feed back.
Thanks in advance

Hi I too have this steering play. My car is 2014 model but it’s a landcruiser. I too noticed that I have to constantly keep my hands on steering moving slightly to keep it straight. When I took it for alignment they told they can’t do it as there is play in steering (when they move it, tyre dosent move immediately).
I found below video of 80 series on this issue. See if it’s similar on your car m thinking of asking a mechanic to find that nut n do it for me.

I sometimes get an awful feeling the steering has disconnected in both my 90 series but i suppose the 80 does it as well though its not so noticeable in a tank . I think the reason is Toyota actually expected cruisers to go off road unlike all the modern polo field only gentile junk . Tight steering might get vicious and brake thumbs off road .

Thanks for the quick replys,
I have actually done everything from changing the steering box, to tie rods, bushes, suspension etc. It is much better I would say 80 percent better. I'm just wondering if the steering on these models is generally like that? You always get the feeling like your adjusting the steering and it's lose, not like modern cars.

I'd say its normal yes .

Must bear in mind Toyota's development team did and still have a vested interest in providing vehicles for the mining industry and too much steering feedback would very quickly become annoying if it rattled your hands numb .

Appreciate the reply, it's crazy because I'm always wondering if that's the way it's supposed to be or if I still have to look for the problem. I guess the best way is to find another one and drive it, to see if it's the same

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back