Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering Wheel issue.

Charis

Country Flag
cyprus
Hello everyone.
I have some time now that i face a problem with my steering wheel . The problem is that a ``slack`` i dont even know if this the correct word . I have to turn the steering wheel around 4-5 cm for the wheels start moving .Is there any fix for this think. I have check the forum and sone steering box think. Any suggestions ??

Hello everyone.
I have some time now that i face a problem with my steering wheel . The problem is that a ``slack`` i dont even know if this the correct word . I have to turn the steering wheel around 4-5 cm for the wheels start moving .Is there any fix for this think. I have check the forum and sone steering box think. Any suggestions ??

Hi Charis, there are some posts and threads on here about adjusting the "slack" or free play in the steering box. Try using the search option in the extreme top RH corner of the screen, you should find something. It's basically a threaded pin and locknut on the side of the steering box, where tightening the pin into the box can take up some of the excessive free play.

IIRC, Jon Wildsmith posted a very detailed thread here.

Remember, these trucks have probably done 150k miles and upward, so you'll likely never get it to feel "new" but you may have some success. Take care to do this with the front wheels off the ground (using axle stands). Always ensure full lock to lock movement without tight spots, because you may go over the top with tightening the adjuster and find it binding too much, which will cause damage in time.

Good luck with the searches.

Last edited:
Clive, is this the same post that Frank put up and is a sticky? And Jon did the gearbox?

regards

Dave

Clive, is this the same post that Frank put up and is a sticky? And Jon did the gearbox? regards Dave

Erm, yes, you're right, my bad.

It's Frank's thread, and my linky seems to take you to page 2. :icon-rolleyes:

However, on page 1, post 1, Frank gives a neat and concise step-by-step account of the job.

Sorry for the c**k-up... but it doesn't help that the name of threads no longer displays..... CRIS...!!! Help me out!!!

Back