Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering wheel position.

Hutton

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
Has anyone got a better solution for adjusting the steering wheel position. The motors are basically crap. A recent replacement has failed after only 7 months. It was a genuine Toyota part which goes to show that not everything Toyota is marvellous. Three people drive my vehicle so I do need an adjustable steering position. Any advice much appreciated.

Last edited:
Could you not convert it to manual adjustment like the base level 100's have ?

I would love to convert to work manually. Can anyone confirm if this is possible.

The electric adjustment lasts for decades, if the automatic feature is switched off and the screws and mechanism cleaned and lubricated regularly (maybe every 5-10 yrs depending on dust level).

Could you not convert it to manual adjustment like the base level 100's have ?

The electric adjustment lasts for decades, if the automatic feature is switched off and the screws and mechanism cleaned and lubricated regularly (maybe every 5-10 yrs depending on dust level).
How do you switch off the electric adjustment?

I disconnected my easy entry auto adjustment by pulling out a small white plug under the dash near the ignition barrel, Still works with the joystick and it also disabled the chime when you open the door with the kets in the ignition.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
How do you switch off the electric adjustment?
You don't switch off the electric adjustment, only the automatic "up and away" movement whenever you take the key out. (And down again when you put the key in.) That is what wears out the motors. If you only do small adjustments whenever needed, the motors will last for ages.
The automatic feature is enabled or disabled in TechStream, or with the Toyota Tester.

You don't switch off the electric adjustment, only the automatic "up and away" movement whenever you take the key out. (And down again when you put the key in.) That is what wears out the motors. If you only do small adjustments whenever needed, the motors will last for ages.
The automatic feature is enabled or disabled in TechStream, or with the Toyota Tester.
Brilliant!!! Many, many thanks for your reply uHu. As the dealer is paying for and fitting the new motor at their expense I will get them to switch off the ‘up and away’ movement.

I disconnected my easy entry auto adjustment by pulling out a small white plug under the dash near the ignition barrel, Still works with the joystick and it also disabled the chime when you open the door with the kets in the ignition.
Thanks for the info, I asked the Toyota dealer in the southern suburbs of Adelaide (who just bent me over for AUD$2000 on the 200k service and injector seals) to disable the auto-up-and-away function and they - with a straight face - told me they can't do it? Any chance you took an image of the white plug to undo please?

Thanks for the info, I asked the Toyota dealer in the southern suburbs of Adelaide (who just bent me over for AUD$2000 on the 200k service and injector seals) to disable the auto-up-and-away function and they - with a straight face - told me they can't do it? Any chance you took an image of the white plug to undo please?
As per the advice from uHu I asked my local Toyota dealer to switch of the automatic function on the software which they did with no problem. Your dealer can do it, they probably don't know how to do it so cover up by saying they can't.

As per the advice from uHu I asked my local Toyota dealer to switch of the automatic function on the software which they did with no problem. Your dealer can do it, they probably don't know how to do it so cover up by saying they can't.
I think I'd rather do it myself as I'm not going back to that service department and I'm yet to find a better alternative here in Adelaide! What plug and software do I need for a late-2005 Sahara turbodiesel auto (with VGRS and AHS etc.)?

Back