Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stick on number plates

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
I see a few have stick on number plates on the bonnet.

How do you get on with MOT's and more importantly........speed cameras :twisted:

Never had any probs with the sticker plate on the old SJ with MOT's or officer dibble. I think they're illegal to fit after a certain date (sometime in '97 iirc), so if your truck was produced after that date I can't see you blagging your way out of it..

I hear specs cameras can't read square plates btw :shh:

I didn't have an issue when I had one on Lil Blue. 'Failure to display' is an offence, well having a stick on plate is hardly failure to display. From what I understand, the Police don't generally take you to task on this. But the seller of the stick on plates that I used has disclaimers all over the place. I just stuck the old solid plate in the boot pocket with a couple of tie wraps just in case someone got shirty. Off roading must claim more front plates than anything else, so having a stick on one is a really good idea. Look at how many crayoned on plates you see on trailers!

Chris

Lil'Blue did not even get a mention about the front stick on plate at it's last MOT, so I would just go down and see what happens.

After the last pay and play day that I did I passed at least 4 police cars with both plates covered in mud (I forgot to bring water with toclean them) and I had no issues, so I guess it's can just be down to luck.

This is an old topic very well discussed on all forums :lol:

From what I can remember is that due to construction & use stick on plates are not legal :) But it's not in the MOT examiners remit to comment on some of the more key aspects of a number plate for example he doesn’t have to get out a tape measure to ensure that the letters, spacing & border all comply with the size regulations he just has to glance @ it & decide if it looks alright. But if it's loose then it's part of the MOT & a fail :) Now this is all from memory & I've never read the construction & use criteria on number plates (only on protruding tyres :roll: :D ) but from what I can remember a number plate has to have a reflective background & be mounted as close to vertical as practicably possible but no more than plus or minuses 5 degrees from it, all fixings have to match the background colour (black, white or yellow) there can be no stickers, tape or anything obscuring the plate (including cable ties Chris :D ;) ) and on all vehicle registered after a certain month in 2001 the plate must display the name, post code & BS number on both front & rear plates.

Now don't quote me on any of this as its just from memory but I think if you want to be totally legal then no stick on plates.

It's one of those grey areas like 'A' frame towing, protruding tyres, stick on # plates, height of lights after a lift etc.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Going to Scotland recently I realised when fueling up that I had the wrong plate on my trailer. A Traffic Officer pulled in for fuel and I asked for advice. In the end he lent me a marker pen so that I could draw the numbers on the back panel. He wasn't bothered either way especially when I told him that although it was the wrong plate it did belong to a vehicle that I owned. I later improved it by using letters made out of electrical tape.

Steve, I had a plate that had holes on the clear part and the ties didn't obscure the numbers. Unless you use sticky pads, there has to at least be a bolt through the plate. I take your point of course, but as an emergency measure, I think that it would have kept Plod happy.

Chris

Not legal at all, but mine has passed the MOT 3 times at 2 MOT stations without a problem.

I have even had a police officer rideing around in my LC with the stick on plate on.

Paul

When I talk to the guys at work they don't seem to be at all bothered about things like this. If your vehicle is taxed, insured and looks okay then they have no interest unless it has a PNC marker on it. Just so long as you are not using a mobile or something equally as stupid. :naughty:
As far as they are concerned, if the on board ANPR camera can read the plate then they are usually happy.
I think you could fail if your stick on plate was at such an angle that you couldn't read it from the front.

The time to worry is when VOSA do a hit and drag motors into a lay-by. They are far more anal than any traffic cop :D

Ecky Thump said:
if the on board ANPR camera can read the plate then they are usually happy.
I think you could fail if your stick on plate was at such an angle that you couldn't read it from the front.

Or an A-bar like mine :sick:

Paul_Humphreys said:
[quote="Ecky Thump":okwi1csh] if the on board ANPR camera can read the plate then they are usually happy.

Or an A-bar like mine :sick:[/quote:okwi1csh]

The question is, how long has it been on there and have you ever been pulled?

I had illegal plates on mine for years, you will see them on some of my posts. Illegal font and 5 deg italic. I drove my car into police stations every day and it took an anal retentive in Dorset to get a sad on when my missus was driving to slap on a £60 fine...go figure :!: :!: :!:

Back