Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Strange dash after installing leisure battery

Garage
Hi all,

I or rather my friend installed a leisure battery with a charging system in the boot to power a fridge, invertor and a couple of other things. All works great apart from now when the car is off certain things seem to stay on.

Handbrake warning light
Gear selection indicator

Also there is a noise from behind the dashboard, behind the heating and ventilation controls that wasn't there before when the car is off. Also when car is turned off the check engine light comes on as the engine is shutting down.

Did we wire it up wrong? Is this normal?

Thanks!

how is the leisure battery wired in? does it just connect to the drivers side battery or does it connect to the alternator as well. do you know what split charge system or what relay you are using?

Thanks for the reply Rob. I'll wander out to the car in a bit and get all the information you need.

The ignition wire and charge wire are coming from the power supply under the bonnet on the drivers side.

Hi James,

Glad you made it over to here.

As Rob says, if you can provide a bit more info on the split charge systema dn how it is wired we should be able to help.

I reckon its wired so that the trigger to tell the relay the ignition is on, is connected to the alternator.

I had similar problems with dash lights on my 4runner, when i wired a relay into the alternator, so that relay would only be active if the ignition was on.
so i wired it to one of the wires going into the front windscreen wiper.

i did same the other week on the landcruiser when wiring up monitoring lights for my cyrix split charge relay. I wanted a +ve feed that was only live when ignition on. - i hooked up to a +ve going into front windscreen motor, which only got feed when key turned 2 clicks, but not actually starting.

Seems to have fixed itself which is always a worry....

I'll post up photos of the relay, wiring, and battery in case I've done something totally wrong, which I probably have.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back