Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sub Tank Fuel Leak - where to start

desertrogue

Country Flag
united_arab_emirates
Hey Guys,

I noticed the other day that to add to my list of issues - when I fill the Sub Fuel tank up, the needle goes right up - then after abotu 3-4 days the needle drops to the 3/4 mark , so I am obviously loosing fuel somewhere.

Does anyone know of any quick wins - easy places to start looking to see where the leak is?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Ryan

Hi there I don't think you have a leak. I have a 100 series with dual tanks and the same thing happens with mine. Upon some research it appears that one of two things can happen. Fuel can leak over from the reserve tank to the main tank through the tank selection system or some vehicles for some reason can start on reserve tank then switch back to the main tank go figure?

if there is some leak you can always smell it & check for vapourised stains over the parking bay. Is its after market or oem custom installed tank

Had a similar problem on my boat and it turned out to be a faulty gauge .

Mine is leaking, actually started last week. Parked on incline full up facing backwards and the drive was covered in diesel. Tank is rusty :( Can you buy a pattern one or would I be best to get a second hand replacement ?

Replaced with a new tank from Toyota in the end. Not cheap but I did not fancy a second hand one, and no more Diesel on the drive :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes, I thought so. It's cost me a fair bit recently, had a new power steering pump and rack as well in the last couple of months.... I hope it behaves itself for a while now :)

Hey Guys,

I noticed the other day that to add to my list of issues - when I fill the Sub Fuel tank up, the needle goes right up - then after abotu 3-4 days the needle drops to the 3/4 mark , so I am obviously loosing fuel somewhere.

Does anyone know of any quick wins - easy places to start looking to see where the leak is?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Ryan
My 80 does this but it's the sub gauge, slowly goes back up once the ignition is on.

Back