Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sunroof leaking woes

Hi Sorry for the sudden t post..Ha..ha..anyway I`m from Malaysia have 70 series( Kzj78) at home..I`l try to show some picture soon when Im get back...but mybe only superfifical picture of the roof as I didn't plan to re open all the plate/railing again...Ha..ha...

Yes it's a common problem. There's basically a hole in the roof and Toyota's solutions was some gobbo and a plastic cap. Fine for about 20 years but then they leak and they're not easy to seal when you have a roof rack on!
Agreed....especially when you always drive overland..all the shaking/vibrations will cause the seal loose...

All conributions valuable. What new owners missunderstand is that the factory roof does NOT seal. It actually leaks from new. The water goes down the pillar drains into the sill. There are slit drains in the sill. These block up and the water backs up the drains into the roof where the water then leaks into the car. Or as in your case the little plastic gizmo leaks.

All conributions valuable. What new owners missunderstand is that the factory roof does NOT seal. It actually leaks from new. The water goes down the pillar drains into the sill. There are slit drains in the sill. These block up and the water backs up the drains into the roof where the water then leaks into the car. Or as in your case the little plastic gizmo leaks.
Yes..I suppose we are in same picture...there are silicone sealing the layer of the plate/plastic gizmo your were saying...need to dismantle all the compartment( Railing,plastic/plate etc) don`t forget there a screw as well from below front end of the roof angle need to open..and to install it back pain in the ass need someone to pull it from below as we crew from top...

There you go,... this is the railing Im talking about( Borrow picture from google)..need to dismantle them You`ll see the silicone below the black plate.change or re-do the silicone or add small thin layer of leather.

View attachment 153783

land 1_LI.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This is a case of precision over quantity. You can slather TRV all over the place but unless you hit the spot exactly it will still leak. As MRI is indicating, it's far better to do a strip down, clean up and pretend that work in the factory adding only the amount neded in exactly the right place. I have seen sunroofs sealed externally with a whole tube of RTV right the way around to try to cure this. It's really a poor design

If you park facing downhill and the forward most drain slit in either sill gets blocked, the front of the sill fills up and overflows into the front footwells. This has happened to me twice. The rear of the sunroof tray drains by two plastic tubes running along the roof line then out through the rear quarters. If you park facing uphill and these tubes get blocked, the rear of the sunroof tray fills up and overflows into the car giving you a shower when the car levels out. I’ve had this happen also. Check those drains regularly!

i have new plastic insert (just N of rails in picture) to replace my worn out one ; so will see if that solves my leak. Will post more info/pics when get around to it

On the first outing I think I got up to 35 mph before it flew off and got run over by a bus.

That was 8 years ago.
I think I tapped up the sun roof with glass tape, it never leaked after that.

Now looks like this so no sunroof to leak.

Attachments

• B5EDF056-6181-40C9-99BF-3AF5D3800777.jpeg
    B5EDF056-6181-40C9-99BF-3AF5D3800777.jpeg
    471.6 KB · Views: 39
It was something like this, but any tape will do. Obviously once done the sunroof was not able to open.

(108) Sunroof weather seal... 63252-60010 | Land Cruiser Club

in case anyone hasn't seen this and I can report this solution is working a treat so far. Once complete it needs a good time to cure full to achieve maximum strength so at this time of year might be best to not open it for a month to be sure. I would be happy to order the new seal now I am confident it will remedy the issue without removing any internals but every case might be a slightly different problem. Replacing the outer seal also inhibits the dirt from entering the sunroof well and causing blockage of the drains to begin with. There is also another hack which it to feed the drain out of the A pillar at the bottom and add a small tube to it so that it can be extended out through one of the sill bungs.

Back