Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

SWB 90 wiring schematic/diagram for the reversing lights

I used to ride a bike as a teenager that had no lights at all, and the law at that time about 1959ish stated no lights were permissible (during daylight hours only) but all evidence of lighting circuitry including switches had to be removed as well, so if you only removed the indicators Shayne I think you could have been nicked.

Just shows how one law overlaps another constantly . I bet if you looked into it it's still illegal to drive over 5 mph without someone walking in front waving a flag . It was a friendly copper that advised me to take them off (i was born in 72 but there was still the odd friendly cop about when i was a teen) . Incidentally the same cop also told us he cannot charge me for sitting on the bike and free wheeling down the hill as long as my mate is following behind with the keys and i didn't have them in my pocket ?

Jeez we thought we were clever , obviously he never noticed the keys were in the ignition and the engine was running , and my mate was on the back when we first spotted the copper :doh:and he obviously never realized we were only 12 .

In hindsight he went school with our parents and lived on the corner of our village . the whole population of that village wouldn't fill a doubledecker bus ! :lol:

Had a bit of a sniff around and found this http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/made The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989.

Schedule 7 Part 1 Direction indicators must be visible in the horizontal between 80 degrees OUT & 20 degrees IN

Schedule 10 Part 1 Rear position lights must be visible in the horizontal between 80 degrees OUT & 45 degrees IN

Schedule 12 Part 1 Stop lamps must be visible in the horizontal between 45 degrees OUT & 45 degrees IN

Theres lots more in there with regards to vertical viewing angles, mounting positions, size of lenses etc. I've also found mention of an EU law with regards to a rear door mounted spare obstructing rear lights, but have not been able to find the specific document relating to this. Clearly with the rear door open the spare would compromise the viewing angles under The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989. So maybe there's some substance in both of our thoughts about the reasons for bumper mounted rear lights Jon.

Last edited:
It was a friendly copper that advised me to take them off (i was born in 72 but there was still the odd friendly cop about when i was a teen) . Incidentally the same cop also told us he cannot charge me for sitting on the bike and free wheeling down the hill as long as my mate is following behind with the keys and i didn't have them in my pocket ?

Jeez we thought we were clever , obviously he never noticed the keys were in the ignition and the engine was running , and my mate was on the back when we first spotted the copper :doh:and he obviously never realized we were only 12 .

In hindsight he went school with our parents and lived on the corner of our village . the whole population of that village wouldn't fill a doubledecker bus ! :lol:

It's a shame that we don't have such friendly coppers these days.

I've had a couple of emails asking about rear lights and with it being time for me to revisit them i thought a couple of pics might be of help to others

Smoked Lights 001.JPG
Smoked Lights 002.JPG
Smoked Lights 003.JPG

I just ordered these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-3-4-5...hash=item2345c2e397:m:m9FR38n8ewIxhcViqypLIKg so i can fit my new lights . Not much else i can add really other than i have two wires running from the drivers side reverse light to make the offside reverse light work .

Last edited:
I did this job recently, with fogs, reverse and indicators. Well worth while doing. Always thought the upper lamps looked wrong without lights in them. Also rewired the trailer socket into the plug in the jack compartment, as it's all there for that purpose. No more corroding connections in behind the bumper!

Got to admit Shayne the rear lights look amazing they will look good on yours with it been black.

bob how did you manage to get the rear fog lights to work as when I did my upper lamps I've only got brake lights there and rear side lights now please.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I took the lazier option and ran a live cable from the drivers side, which already had a fog, to the other, so they are both powered off the one circuit. It's well hidden behind the trim. Just bought stop & tail bulb holders in the motor factors that fit nicely and use the 21w filament as the fog light. Brakes in the bumper only.

Thanks for that Bob,was wanting to keep the brake lights as well,back to the drawing board.

Sag. I have fitted lights into my upper lamps as well. I fitted twin filament stop/tail bulbs into the top lens as this is red on my Collie(used red led ones to make it look redder as they were faded a bit). I fitted single filament into the nearside reversing lens and wired that from the drivers side but went over the roof lining as I use the back for caravan kit and didn't want to risk damaging it . I also fitted two repeater orange bulbs into both the reversing lenses to give me two indicators both sides( dare I say it but like the discovery MK1) . I used the bottom lens just for fog lights but might upgrade these to sidelights as well. have a read of this see if it helps explain it better:-

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=56164&highlight=#56164

Hoping Steve H reads this because i can't find wiring behind the upper lights to to make my turn signal work , I am thinking i will have to run a wire up from the bumper lights because my aftermarket upper lights have a turn signal in place of fogs .

The wiring for the indicators is in beside the jack, small white connector beside a bigger foam wrapped one. I'll try get a pic later. You will have to run a live to the drivers side though

Your a star Bob just taken a look and despite the mess of wiring i have in there (old parking sensors , lights swapped to prado , a jerry rigged set up to get me home when i had a short in the lower lights) i would guess the wire i need to tap into is 2 tone green . A 2 wire connector holding black/white and 2 tone green does that sound about right ?

IMAG1657_zpsd7fxa8sd.jpg

The white connector is the one. It has 6 wires running into it. I've chopped them and used spade connectors for the trailer socket and the upper lamps. I think that's right, but I just used a tester to find them

hmmm i don't even have a large connector , there's 6 wires running directly to the light and another cased pair of wires which must run to the lower lights . I am using a multimeter , and a light up screwdriver like tester as back up but nothing is giving me a relay governed indicator ?

I haven't cut the 2 wires to bumper lights yet .

Unless your light up screwdriver is a 12v one it won't pick anything up on the truck. Use your multimeter or a spare lamp with wires on it.

Sod it i'm numb and now its pissing down again . At least i now know the wiring i need is among the 4 down to the bumper and 2 of the 6 will work for the fog light i must add .

cant you take the fog light supply from tow bar plug, I did and bolted a fog light just to one side of tow ball straight onto bumper :) one wire and tother bolted to chassis for an earth

I don't even have one yet Steve but when i do i think it has to be connected to an interior on/off switch for UK mot .

Back