Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Taking babies offroad / green laning

fridayman

Garage
At what age do you think it is OK to take babies off-road if we take it easy?

IMHO I don't think you should (unless that's what you call your LC) They have those wrap round car seats for a very good reason, which is to with babies not being in full control of their neck muscles Etc. Jolting them back, forth and side to side wouldn't go down too well !

My son Robert was a month older than 3 years old when he first came green laning with me :) Since then he comes out with me almost all of the time that I now go laning or to pay & plays :D It certainly tempers your driving & risk taking having your child with you :)

At the end of the month we are off up to Wales for 3 days of laning together with three other vehicles & i hope he will be comeing to Lincom with me (if he wants to).

He's now just comeing up to 5 years old :)

Did you ever see the documentry about a couple (maybe vets) in Kenya who spent most of the time racing around chasing big game, rounding it up to be moved to a different area of plain with their baby in the back of the 110 stopping for bottles while the dust settled! can't remember what it was called now.

I believe the RTV rules stipulate 2 years minimum but I could be mistaken. I have a 3 year old daughter and personally I would do a gentle green lane with her but she would be well strapped in. I won't be truly confident though until at least 5.

Oooh, get you. Doctor Nick!

Agree. Whilst our roads in Derbyshire resemble and off-road course most of the time, it's not so much the jolting and banging up and down - it's the being thrown forward that's dangerous. If they are still in a rear facing seat, it's because their neck muscles need the support. Once they go into a forward facing seat, it might be a different matter. But I'd still not go extreme until the point that a child understands the words "Brace" and "Oh s***!" to the point that they can actually brace themselves.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
ermmm I would have thought so, in my wosdom I dared to ask the missus and I found out when I will be allowed and it aint for a few years yet

Not all is lost though, as soon as they are stable on their feet you can put them to good use cleaning while you get on with the more important things :) ;) Gets them used to being around the vehicle & being covered in mud & grease before the big day out laning :D

P3310062.jpg

You can then quickly move them onto a bit of basic maintenace :lol: Only under close supervision of course :naughty: You wouldn't want 'em to break something :lol: :D ;)

P5140008.jpg

If they show willing let them try something a little more challenging :D Still under strict supervision of course :)

P5110006.jpg

P5110012.jpg

All building towards the big day :D :D :D

P5160040.jpg

I really wouldn't put a baby through that, they mostly don't enjoy our hobbies.

Much happier with a new toy, some daft face pulling from grandpa, having a walk around the yard, throwing food at grandma and then pointing at the baby.
You know all that baby stuff.

However I do believe in getting them use to the stuff the great outdoors is made of.
Mud!!
You can find some real great outdoor strollers out there and use the cruiser to go that little bit further down the lane other vehicles can't reach.
Then enjoy the quality baby time.

no please do not do it!!!!!!!!!, I heard about a broken neck in Cape Town(JB's wife knew them), the couple thought baby is dozing so well through the trip, never to awake :( :(

mine are big boys and I took the oldest at 3 only, a jolt or dipp in the road they can not see and do not know how to brace for it... sorry :(

Don't forget the supplies though, of roading is hard work.

Toby.jpg

Went on a laning trip last year with Lauras nephew Oliver (23 months) and my nephew Nathan (20 months) in the convoy and kept it gentle. Both kids had a great time with Oliver in my car laughing his head off for the most part. Only bit he didn't like so much was when I got stuck and splattered mud all over his window. Oliver was getting good with his words at the time and it was great teaching him about all the animals we saw and the sounds they make.

38326_408192573750_552268750_4471247_1074720_n.jpg

Oliver

34049_409095991197_714841197_5014899_2155558_n.jpg

Nathan

34769_459157508032_543658032_6092435_3382119_n.jpg

Chasing the sheep at lunchtime :)

Jim.

Back