Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thatcham Cat 1 security

That's a similar idea but not the same one. Dave's design was just a rectangular frame that you (security) bolted to the footwell opening with the door hinged at the bottom, it didn't wrap around the pedals. When not in use the door lay flat on the floor under the driver feet. In use the door lifted up and closed off the foot well space preventing access to the pedals but also making a strong box for you to leave valuables in. It wasn't removeable.

Do 80 series have air bag steering wheels? If not how about a quick release steering wheel?
As it is so obvious it might be enough to stop them breaking in to start with.

Julian said:
Do 80 series have air bag steering wheels? If not how about a quick release steering wheel?
As it is so obvious it might be enough to stop them breaking in to start with.
My 1994 80 doesn't have an air bag, a removeable steering wheel sounds a great idea, have a look at;
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorspor ... 6/0/117864
This one is bolt on, there are weld on but I don't know how easy they would be to install, but a bolt on one might be better for someone with no equipment/experience to fit.
Chas

Might be a bit awkward taking the steering wheel with you if you're not parked outside home :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hey guys
This is all beyond me - give the benefit of the doubt to a simple desert fox, and give me a simple rundown of what you guys recommend and I'll take it from there....
Thatcham gave me a quote of £350 total for cat 1 alarm system; I don't think this is too bad considering, but I can't do this unless I get a 'proper' job.... and anyway, it might compromise offroading in those deep dunes that I love so much....
Cheers
Renate

Jon Wildsmith said:
Might be a bit awkward taking the steering wheel with you if you're not parked outside home :lol:
If I fitted one my idea would have been to put the wheel in one of the rear compartment drawers, I know it's still in the car but the potential thief wouldn't.
Chas

HauptRenate said:
Hey guys
This is all beyond me - give the benefit of the doubt to a simple desert fox, and give me a simple rundown of what you guys recommend and I'll take it from there....
Thatcham gave me a quote of £350 total for cat 1 alarm system; I don't think this is too bad considering, but I can't do this unless I get a 'proper' job.... and anyway, it might compromise offroading in those deep dunes that I love so much....
Cheers
Renate
Who did you go to for that quote? have a look at this eBay item, I gave them a ring (0800 001 5051) for a quote and they said £299, a bit cheaper than your quote
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
Chas

HauptRenate said:
Hey guys
Cheers
Renate

Unless you get much benifit from a insurance perspective personally I am not sure what benifit you would get from another alarm/imobiliser. It took the last lot upwards of 20mins and they still did not get away with the LC. Also a determined criminal would get your LC no matter what security you used..... The only caviat is and what I don't know however is do 80's come with any form of imobilisers? If not then I would add one.

Hi guys
As far as I know, my LC has an immobiliser when it is in Park and I centrally lock it with the key, but on this occasion (yes, I know what you are about to say "blithering idiot" what are you like?!) I didn't use the remote which sets off the audible alarm.....
okay it was a long stressful day and I was only going to leave the car there overnight - it is not usually left on a side road.... I live literally less than 4 mins away, and ma window was open all night....so I figured, I would have heard the alarm if it had gone off.... 'cept I didn't use the remote....
Cheers
Renate

y'all
Oh yeah, and the quote was by Electrifying-touch.co.uk; a Viper 480xv with certificate of installation and
mobile fitting service at my home or work address, you got all this for the £350;
•19 icon display in remote fob for reporting and confirming the status of the system, along with zone / sensor trigger identification.
•3-point immobilisation
•Remotely adjustable ultrasonic sensors
•ESP2 Battery Backup siren
•Metal cased Control Unit
•Dual Multiplex input for additional Dual Zone sensors with warn away
•Doors, bonnet and boot protection
•Flashing indicators whilst alarm sounding
•Remote central locking
•5 channel outputs for control of additional features
(Turbo timer, electric windows, etc)
•Multi car control
•Comfort close
•Sensor bypass facility
•Ultra-bright Blue LED
•PIN override and valet mode
•Passive arming
•BitWriter programmable
•Sensor override
•Total Closure
•Supplied with 1-Two-way remote and 1 - 4 button one-way remote
Nobody has yet succeeded yet in blindng me with science, and it doesn't seem very scientific, which is good, as it looks pretty straightforward, and as some of you have said, if someone is determined enough it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to the thief anyway....but am still up for having something done though, so keep em coming.
cheers
Renate

Jon Wildsmith said:
On an auto, wouldn't you just put a hidden switch in the brake pedal switch to gearbox ECU circuit so it would be stuck in park?

I've searched through several forums to find this post again! Now that I've re-read it a few times I have a question... if the park brake is on (according to the switch between the brake pedal and the ECU) wouldn't the brake lights always be on? If not, then it's the method I'll be using.

All the best,
Alan.

Back