Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The "Collie" did

Brian S

Country Flag
england
A little bit of wading today. And brought forth thoughts of a mod, (and I said I was going have an unmodded Collie :))
On the way to work this morning, one of our short cuts is a single track road, 3/4 of the way along it, I came across a car doing a 3 point? turn in a field gateway, didn't give it much thought, then found out why he was turning round, the road was flooded.
About 30yds of water, not that deep, so I sallied fifth, water was around hub depth, (first blood for The Collie !)
When I got the other side I thought I might have to get a Snorkel fitted :eek:

Oh dear, I think I may have just found a slippery slope:D

That was just a puddle start thinking about a snorkel when the water reaches the top of your wheel arch .

Must admit i have started to think about a snorkel to be on the safe side because i've dipped the wheel arches a few times .

Are Safari snorkels still the best bet ? I’ve looked at the cheaper ones on ebay, but they don’t look very solid. I’d like a centrifugal head (on the snorkel !), seems to have worked for Dyson.

Mine is a knock off, been on 2 years without a problem. Gave it a few packs on our recent Tabernas Desert trip. when we got back I fitted a cyclonic head cos of all the dust in the desert.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Steve, was yours a standard size for the cyclonic head ?

The heads you buy separately, and are available for different sized snorkel tubes.

Official wading depth is 700mm I'd extend the breathers before a snorkel.

Did many river crossings and a lot of desert this years trip but still haven't felt I needed a snorkle

Official wading depth is 700mm I'd extend the breathers before a snorkel.

Did many river crossings and a lot of desert this years trip but still haven't felt I needed a snorkle

You're quite right Mark - extended breathers are probably more relevant than a snorkel in the scheme of things.
However we mustn't confuse things that we need and things that we want...:icon-wink:

I used to worry about breathers but changing all the oils after a few dips at Salisbury only to find no trace of water in anything gave me faith in Toyota's own set up .

My aftermarket indicator/side lights on the other hand had to be pulled apart and soaked in vanish - bicarb - washing powder and anything else i could find in the house to remove what dried in the drains .

My intake is a good bit higher than standard so i will guess about 1000mm and i did find evidence of a splash in the airbox !

You're quite right Mark - extended breathers are probably more relevant than a snorkel in the scheme of things.
However we mustn't confuse things that we need and things that we want...:icon-wink:

Oops silly me.

Has anyone found a snorkle that does stick up above roof line? Most I've seen stick up above and look bad imho

That was just a puddle start thinking about a snorkel when the water reaches the top of your wheel arch .

Must admit i have started to think about a snorkel to be on the safe side because i've dipped the wheel arches a few times .

Shayne, yes that was only a puddle, but knowing my luck I'd underestimate the next (or however many I drive into) puddle, and find it washing over the bonnet. I want one anyway :D

I will look into extending the breathers as well

Anyone had water ingress into the cab while wading, and how far up the car was the water?

Welcome and good luck on what starts as a slightly slippery slope, for some it rapidly becomes a greasy slope.

I had an exciting moment when my rear axle lost traction as the rear of the vehicle was floating, locked the center diff and fed her more diesel and drove out of the water on the front axle, had the bonnet under water shortly after locking the center diff up, the now ex wife had a moan about her feet getting wet while sitting in the car (vents below the windscreen were under water), I was just happy Thirsty performed her best and I gave her a snorkel as a present for doing her best, and a just in case measure for the next time I misjudged the depth.

If it's a daily drive, then for me a snorkel is unnecessary, as I wouldn't put it into more than about 600mm of water unless I was in some kind of rabbit, lettuce and fox, life or death river crossing scenario. Above that level, engine bay electrics, vent ingress and, as Julian has pointed out, a floaty back end are all in play, and it's too much of a risk.

I always understood a snork was more for better air intake in dusty conditions than as a fully watertight unit anyway. the inlet into the airbox would be far from watertight on a collie without adding a seal.

But they do look good on the right truck and I'll bow to superior knowledge if I'm wrong

I feel the same Bob i respect the power of running water and i feel once your tyres are submerged chance comes into play . I don't like the look of snorkels either and i've seen plenty that are just bolt on ornaments -

but -

If that splash in my airbox had made it into the cylinders it would have been game over which makes a snorkel seem a sensible precaution for someone like me who doesn't like going around obstacles .

Shame really because i don't want one .

Bob I am with you on the watertight issue,I have no intention of taking my truck swimming, paddling perhaps, as I do not believe water and electrics and so on are are a good combination, I mainly fitted the snorkel for the dust and performance considerations as I felt cleaner cooler air from high up out side the engine bay would be better than hot and potentially dusty air from the inner wing which draws from the engine bay.

I always thought 'wading' and dipping were different. I wouldn't drive down flooded road bonnet deep, but would cross small river where the middle bit splashed over the bonnet very very briefly.
Having said that I feel a snorkel would be about the 'just in case'. Cross a 50-60cm-ish river in the morning, it could be an unknown depth on the return later that day. Brown and flowing fast, you'd rather have a snorkel..

I mainly fitted the snorkel for the dust and performance considerations

I wondered about getting one for cooler, cleaner air mainly too, the water side of things not so much. I’ve seen the cool air kits that are available, but they just seem to be a few bits of tubing with a foam filter on the end, an overenthusiastic price tag and they still take the air from quite low down. After a dry spell, it’s surprising how dusty it can get round here.

Back