Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The corona virus thread

We've been placed on extended lockdown for another 3 weeks here. So far our numbers are relatively low and I think our authorities have generally done a good job. Like @Chris , I'm not seeing an endgame in sight with this. They have been making contingency plans for our state exams to go ahead in August instead of June, but they concede that social distancing will probably still be a thing then. So how do we reopen schools properly in that case? It's all very uncertain still. I'm very lucky to live out in the middle of nowhere and have a small baby and a workshop to keep me occupied. I'd hate to imagine what apartment living is like at the minute

The initial furlough period is for 12 weeks. What‘s going to happen when the money runs out and we’re still not out of lockdown?
The government have certainly dug deep with this and other financial aid but they don’t have limitless resources. Many thousands of people could be left with zero income and faced with a stark choice.

Like you Chris, I really don't see the way out here. I guess we could look at China but I'm not sure what they are doing.

The only answer really is inoculation, but that does not seem to be anywhere near.

I feel for folk and businesses who are not earning right now, must be really tough, and with no end in sight I'm not sure that the future holds anything bright for them.

I agree that the solution would appear to be innoculation. Without that, there is a strong possibility that the virus will re-emerge, maybe even as a different strain with potentially greater consequences. I think long term we need a global approach to eredicate it, similar to what was achieved with smallpox - otherwise the only way to contain it is to manage the outbreaks, as we are doing now. We are saving lives (and there is no disputing that this is a good thing) through isolation and quarantine but at great ecomomic cost. Not sure we can financially afford another outbreak.

We will come through this outbreak. The problem then will be what sort of state will the economy be in. Not just ours, but the economies of present and future trading partners. It is great that many govenments have stepped in and have committed to assisting companies to retain staff, but what happens if the situation is prolonged - 3 months, then another 3 months, and another. Government funding is not unlimited and government revenue is currently greatly reduced. Somewhere a line will need to be drawn. Companies that are here today may yet disappear. How many notches down the economic ladder will this outbreak take us? What about the next outbreak? You could go on - mass unemployment, worthless pensions, mortgages that cant be paid - there will be 'non-medical' victims of this virus.

But thats just money. The greatest losses will be personal. Loved ones gone. Human life is irreplacable. We can rebuild economies but lives can never be brought back. There will be emotional and mental scars, all round but especially those on the front line. Now, there's a term - front line. It conjures up images of a war with a battle front. In this war, the health care staff - of all nations - are doing a brilliant job. I, we say: 'We salute you. Thank you'. Those words are not even close to what we owe them. A debt that cannot be repaid. They are seeing and dealing with what most of us will never come close to seeing. They will bear that emotional and mental scars for life. PTSD. Just like combatants in a 'traditional' war. Maybe worse, given the scale and nature of the beast. There is an article on the Beeb website about a day in the life of a paramedic in NY. 9/11 does not even compare. Look it up if you wish. Its a horrifying situation.

I dont think it is healthy to peer into the abyss for too long. I think 'dont worry about what you cant control' applies. Its not about taking an ostrich approach but more of focusing on what you can achieve with what you can control, more of focusing on getting to the end of the week, month, year - the small victories that add up to something greater.

There is a future, we will get through this, we will rebuild. It's in our nature, to overcome, to build, to advance. It will be uphill all the way, but get through it we will. As said above, the question is 'How?' I dont think anyone knows at this point.

Stay safe.

We are seeing a change already , with the credit crunch still fresh in everyone's mind and the folly of having the poorest bail out the richest which is still producing unwanted consequences they are at least trying to assist the average joe . Poverty is relative so if every currency value globally is halved what do we lose , bubble money , currency that was never printed , vast wealth that is not backed up by any asset or anything of true worth . If wages , shopping , production costs and tax are all halved then what is the effect of quality of life ?

World war bankrupt everyone as did the great depression but life went on , nobody is bombing factories or destroying crops right now so true wealth remains unaffected and needs can and will be met . The world's largest diamond is valued at $400 million while its true worth is zero , zilch , nothing , because it serves no purpose .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's not something that will be over quickly or easily.
I'm back at work after being off for 1 week. We're officially closed but are supporting key workers with their vehicles, also the police fleet are needing a lot of repairs which includes crank bearing shells and timing chains!!!

We normally have 18 techs but currently there's one of our service techs plus myself!

We have to wear a mask when we need to assist each other, all cars are cleaned with anti bacterial spray plus an anti bacterial treatment put through the heater system, we still have to wear a mask when driving customers cars plus gloves, we wrap the steering wheel , gear lever and any control in cling film after cleaning down.

I'm less exposed then going to the shops!!

My work are planning on introducing other staff back in stages but we're looking at May before we even consider 1 more person.

One of our guys has lost a neighbour to covid and 2 other households in his road have confirmed cases!

A good friend is a paramedic and she is isolated from her kids and husband, she's working and doing everything possible to avoid the potential of passing anything to her family.

We celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary yesterday, had plans for a family weekend away which we will be rebooking when we can.

Coronavirus: US death toll overtakes Italy as world's highest

Will somebody please tell the BBC that the USA is home to a population 6 times greater in number than Italy , or does lord hawhaw really think people are that thick ?

Well yes but i was just thinking out loud about the mechanics of it through idle boredom really , a squirt of this in your mouth and 5 minutes later a squirt of that and away you go with a sore throat but a far better chance of survival . A squirt of Domestos won't actually kill anyone , needs must brutal but effective lol

We are seeing a change already , with the credit crunch still fresh in everyone's mind and the folly of having the poorest bail out the richest which is still producing unwanted consequences they are at least trying to assist the average joe . Poverty is relative so if every currency value globally is halved what do we lose , bubble money , currency that was never printed , vast wealth that is not backed up by any asset or anything of true worth . If wages , shopping , production costs and tax are all halved then what is the effect of quality of life ?

World war bankrupt everyone as did the great depression but life went on , nobody is bombing factories or destroying crops right now so true wealth remains unaffected and needs can and will be met . The world's largest diamond is valued at $400 million while its true worth is zero , zilch , nothing , because it serves no purpose .
The underlying weakness in late stage capitalism was already pointing towards a massive recession before this.With record low unemployment , stagnant consumer spending & rising levels of debt an increasing number of households were borrowing just to make it to the end of the month.Add to this the the fact that most working folk in stable jobs rely on their monthly pay to meet mortgage , car payment & other outgoings often leaving little in reserve means that any prolonged interruption will bring a lot of people to the financial brink. Italy is on the verge of debt default , something that could trigger a global crash at a speed that would make the covid 19 spread look like slow motion.
T 4 trillion dollar bailout to US corporations is said to be enough for only 3 months.Re infection has been reported in South Korea so herd immunity will only be achieved with a vaccine , something that's 18 months away. Spain is ending tomorrow a 2 week shutdown of non essential work , something that could see a further increase in cases.10 million masks are being handed out & police have been told to enforce social distancing on public transport.The amount of glaring contradictions in government policy are mounting as the tension between "the economy" & peoples lives increases.Most governments haven't got a clue & are making it up as they go.
If wages , shopping , production costs and tax are all halved then what is the effect of quality of life ?
Good question.But will the banks , hedge funds & other parasites play ball ? i don't think so.They'll see a golden opportunity to ruin folks & take their assets for peanuts.
World war bankrupt everyone as did the great depression
There are winners & looser in war as in a depression.Big fortunes came out of both largely intact if not strengthened - big fish & little fish & all that.
What i can see happening is a series of loosening & tightening of restrictions & rising & falling rates of deaths & infection for the foreseeable future.The world as we knew it at the beginning of March has disappeared & any quick return to "normality" is a pipe dream.

I get the impression, underlying health issues aside, that a lot could depend on the size of the initial dose someone gets which could be why relatively young fit doctors and nurses on the front line are succumbing to the virus due to the very high level of infection they are continually exposed to. If someone gets infected from a low exposure the immune system has more of a chance of overcoming the invading virus before it has chance to multiply to a point where it becomes a serious threat? Not actually read this anywhere, just supposition on my part.

I agree with all you said goodoldboy , they have squeezed and rinsed until there is no reserve , no buffer , nothing to gain there is no value in anything people can't afford to buy . I like to think the awful realization is sinking in that the trillions being bandied about depend wholly and completely on those at the bottom of the ladder making ends meet .

Well yes but i was just thinking out loud about the mechanics of it through idle boredom really , a squirt of this in your mouth and 5 minutes later a squirt of that and away you go with a sore throat but a far better chance of survival . A squirt of Domestos won't actually kill anyone , needs must brutal but effective lol
Idle boredom & squirts in your mouth, reminds me of my school days............happy days many years ago.

Did anyone see the documentary about the 1918 Flu pandemic, the other night on the tele?

According to scientific evidence TP this is not actually a factor. True continual potential exposure means you're more likely to 'get it' but the concentration seems to have nothing to do with it. There have been questions posed on this and answered the same each time by the scientific community.

There will be a ratio let's say per 1000 people who get it, who are 'fit' and still die - I don't know what that is, but so far very very few of these normal, usually fit people have had the virus. It may be the case that by and large the most significant group to get it are care workers. We may well be seeing that this 'ratio' is being lived out amongst a very particular group. Let's say the ratio was 10 per 1000 and 2000 health workers were confirmed as having the virus then we'd expect 20 fatalities wouldn't we. Just as if we exposed any other 2000 individuals.

I don't know what this ratio is off hand but I do recall some numbers being published at one point. Some will show no symptoms, some will be mildly ill, some will be quite poorly but recover and some as we know will die. What we don't seem to understand yet is why there is that proportion who have no underlying symptoms suffer fatally.

But with all of the isolation and distancing measures in place, as I said in a previous missive, the general population of the UK shouldn't really be being exposed very much at all at present.

I got thrown out of the line while aiming for a second go at the cough and drop test from the school nurse , she had such a lovely smile :lol:
At the age of fifteen I lived in the Medway Towns, and went for a medical to join the Royal Navy, I'll never forget the cough and drop test, the doctor was a young Female MO in uniform, and in my mind she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen, I was stark bollock naked and the only candidate in the room that day.

And back in the late 60's there were only three channles on the tele.

I agree with Chris’ observations and concerns.

I’m not very scientific, I‘m no statistician either, and I know close to nothing about medical science and the way viruses operate, but I’ve thought all along that there’s a number out there somewhere, 80%, or whatever it might be, who are going to contract this virus. To my mind, that number is unavoidable (unless there’s a vaccine that kills it dead, which I doubt there will ever be) so by hiding from it, as said before, there will be little or no herd immunity developing, and one day, we’ll have to come out of our caves and face my imaginary number.

I see the measures taken to date in terms of hiding, the only short term measure available to protect the health authorities of countries that have one, from overload, which indeed saves lives. It would be a much worse catastrophe if the health resources of any country became overloaded, folks seriously affected would end up simply dying in the streets, or at home if they have one.

As Chris rightly said, after this short term essential phase is over, what next? We all venture out and start it all off over again until we reach my magic imaginary number.

I don’t know the answer, in my mind we have to keep hiding, waiting for a safe and effective vaccine, that may never come.

Back