Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The corona virus thread

Having just watched the BBC's interpretation, I think I'm going to dig a hole, get in and just cover myself over. Bye everyone. Would someone just prop the headstone up for me please.

It's that one over there that is carved "Who the f*** are these people?"
I liks Spike Milligan's headstone inscription Dúirt mé leat go raibh mé breoite, Irish for "I told you I was ill".

My old Grandmother, God rest her soul, she died back in 1997 not Covid-19 related, was a 'Home Help' for the council she also 'did for' privately, cash in hand, one of the families she 'did for' was Mr & Mrs Spike Milligan, one day while she was there 'doing' the doorbell rang it was a telegram from Spike who was upstairs working on one of his dittys, asking his wife for a cup of tea to be sent up.

The boy stood on the burning deck, silly fool.

I think I'm going to dig a hole, get in and just cover myself over.

:naughty: I dug mine 2m deep so someone else can back fill :handgestures-thumb:

While trying to think of a comparable question to what world leaders face now Alan Turing sprung to mind
. Imagine putting that question to public vote :scared-eek:

Last edited:
While trying to think of a comparable question to what world leaders face now Alan Turing sprung to mind
except such a simple dichotomy rarely exists. Lives were sacrificed to protect ULTRA but those decisions were based on what was thought to be the best course of action without knowing exactly what the outcome would be.
This is the governments get off the hook strategy , a load of vague nonsense that leaves the individual seemingly in charge of their choices but obliged to go back to work.Any further continuation of restrictions means the markets will crater.

Last edited:
I think that you are possibly crediting Governments per se with far more intelligence than they deserve. Coming up with a devious plan like that is beyond them. Either that or they are so brilliant that it's got us all fooled.

No cure and the lights go off when the money runs out , what then do you go to your barber for a tooth out ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
think that you are possibly crediting Governments per se with far more intelligence than they deserve
Yes maybe that wouldn't be difficult.Johnson has got where he is partly through guile , cunning , a bit of charm & lying of course.I think the plan was to test public opinion & media reaction & then firm up the details.I wonder how long the idea of a 14 day quarantine for arrivals will last?

No cure and the lights go off when the money runs out , what then do you go to your barber for a tooth out ?
As unstable as the economy is there's plenty of margin , or there could be.The UK isn't on a knife edge.Months of lockdown aren't practical for other reasons but do we really need F1 or football to restart? Minimising deaths will cost profits , so what is an acceptable amount of deaths? A fair amount of people don't have dental care or sit in the dark when their electricity runs out but that's normal.

Lights go out is a metaphor , the NHS cost 134 billion a year , there is no guarantee a cure for the virus will be found at all and even if it is found nobody expects it to become available this year , and then we can add another year for manufacture and distribution .

So what changes next month or in all the months to follow ?

The 134 billion is but a trifle when you consider the lions share turnover of 2.21 trillion is put on hold while accruing debts in the form of costs just to keep structure in place . They can't sell up because nobody is buying and costs without turnover is a race towards bankruptcy . Government gets its revenue from them .

I would say the desire for profits has been replaced with a desperate need to break even .

It seems that it's the 1922 Committee that calls the shots in the Tory party, Johnson is just a presentational puppet and as soon as he has outlasted his usefulness, his strings will be cut. This from back in April seems to be mirrored in recent pronouncements: Tory backbenchers want lockdown eased soon - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] Public health seems to be of secondary concern.
After 2 weeks of confinement here in Spain well placed sources in the government said that they were under intense pressure to ease the restrictions from business.The chaos , lack of equipment & systematic ignoring of safety regulations are all the result of policy & are in fact predictable outcomes.Thatchers T.I.N.A. was a lie.
Iv'e just came across this the site seems to be reliable i think !
It`s been said in Spain that we're all in the same boat but some of us have oars in our hands & others whips.

I would say the desire for profits has been replaced with a desperate need to break even .
Or even a desperate need to keep our country aflot.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And as for Covid-19, we all know how deadly this virus is, so why should we not take responsibility for our own personal Health & Safety.

While were all bickering like kids in the playground, whats creeping up behind us? The blame game is so easy to play when your the one not having to take the blame.

I would love to see all us armchair critics juggle with razor blades any better.

I suppose as usual that it’s a case of follow the money trail. Who is the government borrowing from, at what interest rate and where does that money come from in the first place ? The probable lenders are going to be affected eventually and then will be thrown back on increasing interest rates which will then trickle down to the general population. If that doesn’t work, then the UK credit rating will fall and the whole financial system will throw a wobbler.
Interesting video regarding testing etc. mainly in regard to the US but some relevance to the UK too (no great fan of BBC news, but I don't read the Daily Mail either !)

why should we not take responsibility for our own personal Health & Safety.
We should but there's a limit to what we can do as individuals as you pointed out in your wife's case.Trade unions here & in the UK are calling for proper PPE & compliance existingwith H&S regs.we're all armchair critics because very few of us have been PM.what's wrong with blame? If I drop a tree on a house or someone's car it's on me.
If we are responsible for our own H&S the politicians should be responsible for their decisions.

As Goodoldboy said The politicians should be responsible for their decisions LAFFED so hard I had a bowel movement

So the answer to this conundrum is goverments worldwide should buy and provide about 8 billion PPE suits that don't exist daily to the population . Brilliant :clap:

Nobody knows how many died prematurely during the great depression but it was for sure millions ....... and that was just a financial problem .

Last edited:
The problem is that the virus isn't actually 'deadly' to everyone. In fact the vast majority of people really have nothing to worry about in the grand scheme of things. And that makes it really difficult to reach everyone in terms of them taking responsibility for their own bio-security. In terms of measures, it's the many who have to try and protect the few. Nothing wrong with that from a moral standpoint; but it does have a very high price tag. So far despite the measures we've seen over 32,000 people lose their lives to it and really the only comfort we have is knowing that it could probably have been a lot higher. The trick now is to make sure that it doesn't come back and claim those additional lives whilst at the same time trying to reward those who have experienced a different type of loss.

So, in terms of adding, removing and changing measures, we have to ask 'what does this do to affect the potential spread of the virus?' And if the answer is well, nothing, then why are we doing it?

So I can meet you in the park as long as we stay more then 2m apart. Cool, that has a clear benefit. But, me and my missus can't meet you and your missus even if we stay more then 2m apart. Does that make any difference at all to the potential spread? Of course not. Grandad can go and pick one child up from school, but not two. What? Granny has to pick one up and Grandad the other. But both kids live together and so do Granny and Grandad? It's nuts.

What distance beyond 2m constitutes a meeting? Over the garden fence? Across the road? As I posted yesterday, the approach to rules and guidance is really poor and is just typing people up in knots.

Watching tv this morning, I sensed that some of this was beginning to dawn upon the "management" as suddenly we've got them saying, look, people just need to use their common sense....Ahh, so interpretation an application is up to me then?

The HSE have been dragged into this and now people are trying to use Health and Safety (As in the H&S@W etc Act 74) as a lever. Well good luck with that, because its going to be pretty much unenforceable other than cases where an employer has flagrantly flouted any common good practice whatsoever. The issue with Covid is that the reaction to it is utterly individual and unless you can do a biological analysis of every employee's DNA then how can you possibly have measures that meet every single need unless you put every employee in a chemical suit.

There are people saying they don't want to go to work because it's not 'safe; but will happily go to the shops. The test in relation to safety is one that requires employers to take reasonably practicable steps. You cannot be absolutely safe. Zero risk isn't achievable in a situation like a pandemic. They're now talking about doing risk assessments. The reality is that you can't - not in the sense required under UK legislation. It doesn't work due to the number of variables and unknowns. And at the end of the day, you're as likely to catch it from your kids or off a door handle in the park toilets. Given that you couldn't prove where a person contracted it, a case would be hard to prove and of course it would have to result in significant harm - which as we know, most people don't suffer. So really, in my view the whole H&S thing is a fairly hollow deterrent. Just don't tell anyone I said so. But safe to say that yesterday an ex Lord Chief Justice agreed.

We should but there's a limit to what we can do as individuals as you pointed out in your wife's case.Trade unions here & in the UK are calling for proper PPE & compliance existingwith H&S regs.we're all armchair critics because very few of us have been PM.what's wrong with blame? If I drop a tree on a house or someone's car it's on me.
If we are responsible for our own H&S the politicians should be responsible for their decisions.
Is there anything you not a expert on, apart from revolution.

Back