Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The Deed is Done.

Dark Dude

Today I'm pleased to announce that I'm NOW the proud owner of a "W" reg 2000 Toyota LC100 Land Cruiser Amazon V8 Petrol. My wife and I took a final trip in our trusty Frontera (Nik) up the M11 to Bishop Stortford, Herts where the part exchange was finalised. Alas not without me being nailed £100 for a blown middle box. But what REALLY pissed me off was the cruiser was empty of fuel and I mean not a drop, even though I had filled my motor to the brim with LPG. This left us spending £20.00 (£1.55p per litre) in a little village fuel stop to get us and the car back into Walthamstow, where we filled up with another £70. Tomorrow, the car heads to Medway, Kent for it's LPG conversion, thank goodness.

So what are my 1st impressions. The V8 is near silent and pulls like a train. The steering is somewhat vague and the brakes are frightening. I love the high driving position and the all round visibility. I managed to reverse park my truck in one move, first time outside my house which would have taken three moves in my Fronty. So a result there me thinks!

I've already spotted a few little things that will need attention and the car is going to get a bloody good valet inside and out before it meets it's public. Apart from this and the fact that it's missing it parcel shelf (Jon), I'm as happy as Larry.

Oh yeah. Sorry no pics yet. It's just started raining and The Dude is not for soaking. I'll take some pix tomorrow in Kent.

The Dark Dude.

Congrats Mate,

You've gone and done the right thing by getig rid of the Frontera.

Enjoy, look after the truck and it will look after you, :clap:

Thanks Kamal

I can't wait for us to meet up, you being just down the road and all. I can't stop smiling. Tomorrow the real work begins.......

The Dark Dude

BTW: I'm in the market for a Dog Guard and a Parcel Shelf for our new truck.

The Dark Dude

Anyone got a owner's manual? Mine looks like it's been through hell and back. Lets hope for a Ebay.....

The Dark Dude

There is a gawd damn awful noise coming from the steering column every time I insert the key into the ignition. Sounds like the Tin Man without oil. Do I have to live with this or this there a fix. Please tell me there is a fix......Pretty please.

The Dark Dude.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds like the automatic steering "positioning" motors are on their way out... Replacements are reputedly very expensive, so the usual approach is to deactivate them and fix the steering wheel in position. A search, particularly on MUD, should shed some more light on this.

Andrew

Thanks for that. I'm going to give Equipcar in Wolves a bell in the morning along with Greg at Burgess Hill. Apart from the noise, the steering adjusts just fine. BTW: What's MUD?

The Dark Dude.

The seller would have to fix the steering wheel tilt and telescope motors. This is a known problem, and there is a fix for it, normally done under the factory warranty. IIRC there was a TSB on the problem, issued around 2001, which the dealers would refer to if customers complained. (& get their expences covered by TMC)

After you have the new motors fitted, and the threads/screws fixed, you can have the automatic part of the tilt/telescope function disabled, so that you can still adjust when required. To disable the automatic retract you need to use the Toyota Tester.

Mud is THIS

I've just had a flash of inspiration (Tin Man & can of oil) and gave the steering column a quick blast of Apple flavoured Silicone Spray. Immediate result. Now no more clunk and clatter, just a easy hum on the ear. We'll see what happens in the morning but so far so good for a quick, easy and cheap fix.....

UHU, are you saying that Toyota UK will fix this free of charge? That would be a turn up for the books......

:cool: :cool: :cool:

The Dark Dude.

Dark Dude said:
...UHU, are you saying that Toyota UK will fix this free of charge? That would be a turn up for the books......
The Dark Dude.
Don't know what the ToyotUK will do. On my 2000, which is before the TSB date, I complained when the car was 3 yrs minus one month, and they (t0yotaNorway) fixed the noisy tilt-and-telescope for free, even though the car was a private import (standard World-wide 3-year warranty). And it's still good.

So here is my plan....

My truck is now with Neil at Medway DualFuel having a Prins VSi Multipoint retrofitted. So now it's Shankey's pony for the next week for me and my wife. Yesterday we finally decided to go for a Full Toroidal 92 litre tank slung underneath the car in the space where the spare wheel now occupies (until 12 midday, today). Given that my truck is now over 10 years old, I thought that caution be the better part of valour and gave the go ahead for a Valve protection system. Flashlude or Prins ValveCare, is still up for grabs, whichever is cheaper I suspect. Last but not least was the positioning of the LPG refilling cap. Past experience on this as served me well on this and I'm sticking with keeping it in the same position as my old Frontera, in the centre of the rear bumper.

Future Plans....

My truck is primarily going to be used as our primary means of transport both for personal and business use. Which means it's going to be moving a vast amounts of equipment helping me cover various events up and down the UK, as a event photographer. So unlike Jon, my truck is going to be kept as close to standard trim as physically possible. Apart from tinting the rear windows, fitting a full dog guard/parcel shelf and rear spare wheel carrier, what others ways should I consider for securing the rear load area? I've been think about fitting a modular rolling shelf/box system which would help me to better load and unload the truck without breaking my back. I also intend on utilising all that available space upstairs, with a roof rack to carry things like vinyl backgrounds, lighting and background stands, folding tables etc. As for the boots, as soon as the road tyres are worn, they will be replaced by a set of All-Terrain. Inside the cabin, I still have to think about. Last night, on the way home Neil demonstrated his Parrot in car system, and I have to admit I was impressed. Currently I use a Tomtom enabled PDA which would go nice with a retrofitted car kit. Alas the current factory fitted sound system HAS TO GO and replaced with something COOL! Otherwise the cabin needs a really deep clean and a set of rubber mats all round.

Have I missed anything? Any and all advise welcomed.

The Dark Dude
retreads from Sowden Tyres, my trusted supplier for the past 7 years.

Flashlub is more of a gimmick, go for the other options.

I got flashlube in my 80 series, need to fiddle with it now and again, get a better one, well worth saving your valves etc......

Kamal

It seems that you're not alone in your opinion of Flashlube. The guys at Tinley Tech don't seem to be too impressed either. They are NOW pushing a Valve Saver Kit from a Dutch company called JLM which is a manual system. Both Prins and Flashlube do a ECU based system which I happen to think is a much better way of delivering the right amount of valve saver fluid at the right time. Given the overall cost of the LPG conversion, whichever system I choose can't be a bad investment. I plan to keep the car for a minimum of five years. Spending wise now should (hopefully) save me money in the future. That's the plan anyway.

The Dark Dude

I went with an electronic Flashlube, first 2 units failed, new design 3rd and (AFAIK) 4th still going strong :pray:

Jon Wildsmith said:
I went with an electronic Flashlube, first 2 units failed, new design 3rd and (AFAIK) 4th still going strong :pray:

That's scary! Really scary. It looks like I'm going to be giving Billy some business over at Hilton LPG on a new Prins ValveCare system, after all.

John

The Dark Dude

Congratulations :thumbup: - we urgently need pictures! :)

Dark Dude said:
....... and the brakes are frightening.

The Dark Dude.

Is that good frightening or bad frightening? :?

chadr said:

Dark Dude said:
....... and the brakes are frightening.

The Dark Dude.

Chadr

I' still trying to make up my mind on that one.....

John

The Dark Dude

Dark Dude said:
chadr said:

[quote="Dark Dude":3r7u0w84]....... and the brakes are frightening.

The Dark Dude.

Chadr

I' still trying to make up my mind on that one.....

John

Chadr

Well here at last is a official photo of my new truck. I now own the largest car on my street. Enjoy!

LC100_Half_IMG_4665.JPG

The Dark Dude[/quote:3r7u0w84]

Back