Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The Parcel Shelf Mystery

Dark Dude

Today, I returned to the Black country (cash in hand) with the intention of bagging myself some more goodies for Hanna, my trusty LC100. This time it WAS going to be a rear retractable parcel shelf. Now when the seller, Martin ( a very man, with a grip of an industrial vice) turned up driving a Kia people carrier I just knew things were not going to turn out right. Apart from the fact the shelf in question was covered in bird pooh (never a good sign), everything was going swimmingly until Martin tried to click the now fully retracted shelf into place at the rear of the car. Shock, horror, the thing wasn't wide enough to make the bridge, coming up too short about half a inch either side. This came as a TOTAL shock to poor old Martin (trust me, you should have seen the look on his face), as he swore that this shelf was the genuine article having come out of his LC100 (2003). To cut a long story short, I came away, without the shelf and cash still in hand. What I'd like to know, did Mr T make two different parcel shelves (of different widths) during the history of the LC100? There is a mystery here and I'd really love to solve it (for Martin's sake, if for no one else).

The Other John

The Dark Dude.

I have a shelf (or rather a cover) from my 2000. Now I will have to try if it fits my 2004. Today.

I bought one from eBay for 60 quid that came from a 100 series. It clipped into the housing ok but was short in the width at the back by 20mm which was strange I thought!! Keep watching eBay for them and try breakers yards around the country!

Zeusv8 said:
I bought one from eBay for 60 quid that came from a 100 series. It clipped into the housing ok but was short in the width at the back by 20mm which was strange I thought!! Keep watching eBay for them and try breakers yards around the country!

Now this is really weird but at least I'm mot alone. There must be a logical reason for this. Shame Jon is still on his travels......

The Other John

Dark Dude

Might depend if it has rear air con or not, IIRC the drivers side panel sits out further with it?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jon Wildsmith said:
Might depend if it has rear air con or not, IIRC the drivers side panel sits out further with it?

I'm guessing here but would that only apply to later post 2001 models of the LC100? This now brings up another problem which as already been mentioned by ZeusV8. You can't try before you buy with ebay.

The Other John

Dark Dude

Hi

The shelf which came with my car fits!. Mine is 100/APRIL2004. The shelf has a total length of 159 cm and fits into 2 brackets located just beneath the rear window glass at their fronts. These brackets are equally offset to the centre line of the car. Mine has the rear a/c system. I suspect that earlier cars may be different however. A search of the parts manual may be usefull.

Frank

Well, I think that's finally solved it. Thank you everyone for your help. Now to give Martin, the good news......

The Other John

Dark Dude

:sick: Shock.
Checked my luggage cover.
Total length: 159 cm (as stated above)
Length across tabs at the rear end: 134 cm

But: My July 2004 production doesn't have any attachments for the cover!!! Nothing. The trim that surrounds the quarter window has no sign of any bracket. And I've kept the cover from my 2000 ready to go into the 2004 whenever I would need it. What's the idea? Why? Was it discontinued.
Both cars are 7-seat and w/o rear a/c. Only difference is that the newer one has Curtain Airbags, but they don't cover the quarter windows.

I had exactly the same problem with my 2001, I bought the retractable cover off ebay only to find out it was too short, it's sat in my garage ever since, if anyone want's it £60!

My 2004 came without handbook.

Checked briefly the US 2004 handbook. The only mention of a luggage cover is in a warning: "Do not place anything on the Luggage Cover".

Checked parts-list for a 2004 EU LHD VX on toyodiy. Differentiates only between w & w/o dual a/c, and the two colours. So, obviously the one w rear a/c is shorter (well, narrower). Still in a fog when it comes to models w/o luggage cover.

Back