Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The people have spoken

Is a no deal departure now looking imminent and ....... dare i say it ......... more logical ?

Last edited:
I think the question is not actually the shape of the fall and recovery, but more the angle of the other side - is it going to be the same growth trajectory as pre Covid-19, or which side of it?

That ultimately is the measure of resilience.

I do have some economic papers that look at the effect that WW2 had on Germany and Japan, and flooding in the Netherlands:
-Japan: Davis, D. R., & Weinstein, D. E. (2002). Bones, bombs, and break points: The geography of economic activity. American Economic Review, 92(5), 1269-1289. doi: 10.1257/000282802762024502
-Germany: Brakman, S., Garretsen, H., & Schramm, M. (2004). The strategic bombing of German cities during World War II and its impact on city growth. Journal of Economic Geography, 4(2), 201-218. doi: 10.1093/jeg/4.2.201
-Holland: Husby, T. G., Groot, H. L., Hofkes, M. W., & Dröes, M. I. (2014). Do floods have permanent effects? Evidence from the Netherlands. Journal of Regional science, 54(3), 355-377.

Now, I can't remember which are open access (ie free) but have a dig around in scholar.google.com and see what you can come up with.

With regards to the challenge of the incumbent, I am watching that at the moment in some aspects of things over here - but I think that things might move too slowly for it to really make a difference.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Aye and the EU has without even trying to doubled down on the threat "we are now twice as bankrupt as we were last year so do as we say or we will refuse to take your money" .

Aye and the EU has without even trying to doubled down on the threat "we are now twice as bankrupt as we were last year so do as we say or we will refuse to take your money" .
Now, theres something we do agree on, were are now in a much weaker negotiating position with the EU.
:icon-sad:

Now, theres something we do agree on, were are now in a much weaker negotiating position with the EU.
:icon-sad:

You read it wrong "do as we say" is the EU mantra i am describing their position in negotiations .

The UK cannot negotiate with people who say whats mine is mine and whats yours is negotiable so sell what your peddling to someone else good luck and goodbye .

There will never be a better time to tear up the withdrawal agreement . Covid means the expected resulting 10 years of vindictive self harm from the EU is reduced to maybe 3 years of financial devastation before 400 odd million march on Brussels with fire torches and pitchforks chanting "kill the beast"

I can't wait to be eating that "wonderful" produce from the USA. I love how the government where "we will not lower food safety standards". Then last week vote through a bill that allows them to do exactly that.

That's an interesting spin. The report is here : Retailers to on-shore £4.2 billion¹ of products to the U.K. over the next 12 months as COVID-19 resets supply chain strategies - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

It mentions Covid as the driver for reviewing manufacturing and supply chains. It does also say, " Away from the pandemic, the uncertain outcome of the ongoing Brexit negotiations will have significant repercussions for U.K. retailers and their supply chains, with no-deal creating costly delays and interruption. "

What's done is done, but I don't think this is the positive Brexit story. Anyone who voted for a pandemic though, well done.

I thought the bigoted racists voted to stop immigration time will tell but 4.5 billion is small beer compared to the car industry.

I didn't spend much time in school so i'm confused , surely the Covid situation is but a sneeze in comparison to the apocalyptic devastation the nice clever people told us Brexit would cause :think:

Hows it going with the prospects that lay ahead? Is this what you voted for to be paying tariffs on everyday goods?

Surely this is going to raise the cost of living exponentially?

My take is that this is the best time to free ourselves of the claws of EU.
Sure, there may be a short period of turmoil, but this will settle down.
I can not see any imported fruit for example, being more expensive after Brexit.
All the EU countries will grow fruit, there will be competition to sell to us, I believe, driving prices down.

Looking at the bigger picture, just what do we generally buy from EU, that we couldn't buy from elsewhere ? China, Australia, etc,

Last edited:
Back