Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thinking of BFGoodrich KM2's

They were Runways. More like Runaways. Couldn't stop the truck at a junction. Deadly.

If the snow wasn't so damn deep you could come around and put min on yours. Might struggle. I have cleared the drive a bit thought!

I think that MPG and my theory aren't connected. The openness of the MT means that the blocks of tread move around more and this actually adds resistance.

C

Chris said:
Not sure why you'd call them hard.

Chris

they have to be hard to get the longevity out of them, I had them on my Jeep for about 3 weeks, had loads of understeer, back end would let go way quicker then anything else I had fitted, I didnt even think they were any good ion the sticky stuff and too hard to grab hold on rocks etc..

As you say personal opinion, I am aware loads of people love them, I hated them

Chris I'd love to, but I'd sh#t myself if I curbed your shiny wheels ! :o
Are you about tomorrow ? I may nip down, if my daughter can prize me off her sledge, no school = no smokes :angry-screaming:

Nick.

I think that in terms of tyres on a 4x4 there is a huge difference in 'performance' dependent on the vehicle that they are fitted to. I can't say about Jeeps, but you might be surprised at the difference on a 95. I certainly have not heard of Colorado drivers experiencing those symptoms. It's horses for courses I guess, but not all horses are the same.

Nick, should be, but I might have to be in London if I can get off the end of the road. Call me first. Good chance that I will be here. Not going to kerb them. They are taller than a kerb

Chris

J66P said:
Anything BFG is hard, this will give issues with regards to grip, my experinace of them is they are dreadful, boardering on dangerous in the wet, I wouldnt touch the things
Thats quite a bold statement.

I have the BFG A/T, and to be fair and honest, they are, well on my 120, they are great :thumbup:

Even trawling through the Norwegian winters, they offer great grip, in deep slush, and of course, decently wet roads.

The mud tyres I have on at the moment, arn't a patch on the A/T, and you will get many replies, saying just this.
The A/T is good because of the 'snipes' in the tread blocks.
In Norway, they even go to the tyre garages, and have additional cuts put into the tread blocks, with a sharp blade.
Similare to a stanley blade, going in parralell to the tread, in the center of all the blocks.
This allows the tread blocks to open and close better, and give better grip in ice and snow.

Graham

BIG clean GREEN said:
Also with your theory, would you think the MTs give better MPG due to less drag ? Before I eventually buy a set of what ever, I'd like to try them out for a day to see what they're like on a run !

Nick.

MPG is noticebly (sp) worse on the MT as the AT 'sive for size.
And on the same vehicle., and at various pressures.
I can never ghet any thing like the same fuel consumption from my musd, as I can from my AT.

Graham

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
The openness of the MT means that the blocks of tread move around more and this actually adds resistance.

C

Withought a doubt, the muds are no were near as good on fuel, as the AT, and I am sure there is less rubber in contact with the tarmac, on the MT as the AT.

Graham

Graham said:
J66P said:
Anything BFG is hard, this will give issues with regards to grip, my experinace of them is they are dreadful, boardering on dangerous in the wet, I wouldnt touch the things
Thats quite a bold statement.

Certainly is and its my honest opinion ;)

And there is nothing wrong with that. Very welcome on this forum. However, just pointing out that your experience of this tyre was not on the vehicle that you now drive. There are a good many people who have put it on the 95 and been very very happy. We think that Runways are rubbish, but you may have tried them on a Jeep and though they were brilliant. It has to be a combination of vehicle and tyre. Not simply vehicle OR tyre. On the 90 and 95 it seems to be a fantastic tyre. Maybe not the best on the 80 series according to some.

The 90 series drive system is an extremely well designed and executed system. Wind up is very low indeed and tyre wear, frankly regardless of the rubber, is superb. It has a proper transfer box and doesn't rely on some clever work around system instead (Freelander?) Maybe, and I don't know this, the Jeep has a different set up that doesn't work as seamlessly as the Colorado and this makes it more choosy on tyres. Of which, the AT is not at its best. But to brand the tyre on its own as dangerous is to fly in the face of some pretty strong evidence here. I have had several sets on different vehicles and makes, but never a Jeep (nor ever likely to either) so I do not question your experience in the slightest. What are you running now?

Chris

This thread is going well.
From my experience of late, for snow, ATs go better than MTs. When doing the Cros a few years ago, someone told me, the best way to stop in snow, is snow on snow. Therefore a tyre that holds snow does well, as muds clear better than an AT, ATs will perform better as they hold more snow. I used the cooper STs for that trip in my 80 series, 285s, and was the only truck all week not to get stuck in our group, including the lanes when we had to take chains off!! Embarrassed the disco3 owners,but thats another story!!!
Now for the wet weather driving, the new KM2s are great, no difference to the STs. Now this next bit goes against the flow of opinion. The fuel economy is better with the KM2s,slightly, and much quieter too.
I have posted my amazment of the KM2s recently, and there is no reason to buy any other tyre,even if an AT is all you need.

For what its worth, I have used and never liked the BFG ATs, no where near as good as a Cooper ST,IMO, and the previous BFG muds were noisy and horrendous on road, but obviously good off it.

Glad I dont need a new set of boots soon!!!

Hope this helps, rather than confuse. :think:

Cheers,Tony.

Hello Tony. How's the hat?

Never found the MT noisy myself. Nor 'wandery' either by the way. And the look waaay cooler. :lol: :lol:

C

I have never owned any BFG MT's but I've seen plenty of them sliding about on the road behind me when it's wet :mrgreen:tyre width and vehicle weight will be pretty big factors but in my mind they are one of the poorer performing MT's on wet roads or ice which I've always assumed is due to their hard compound and lack of siping.

That Jon, is because they are trying to keep up with you! :shock: :shock:

Don't think the MT is under examination here. It's an MT. Never going to win prizes for tarmac performance. I never had a prob on LB. Dunno how TonyP feels about them. I thought they were fine. But I didn't drive like I was being chased by the very Devil himself. I remember following JW with RD in Wales. I didn't believe that a tyre could distort that much and still stay on the rim!

C

Been reading this thread with interest. I have not driven LB much in the snow/ice/rain so don't really have a view. I did have a short drive on Tuesday in the light dusting, and I tested them and going around a familear traffic circle, I did notice a bit of slip and over steer (but I was pushing hard'ish). Prob a bit more than the 120 with the GG AT's but then in the 120 the traction control kicks in early so it hard to compare easily.

I'll leave you experts debate this more sensibly than I ever could :|

Chris said:
I remember following JW with RD in Wales. I didn't believe that a tyre could distort that much and still stay on the rim!
they do squirm about a bit and take a bit of getting used to :lol:

Toyo Open Country MT's and AT's are supposed to be very tough/puncture resistant and is why they're such heavy tyres compared to the alternatives and why I wanted some of their MT's.

Chris said:
But to brand the tyre on its own as dangerous is to fly in the face of some pretty strong evidence here.

As far as I am concerned they very nearly caused me to have a serious accident, you may be correct that the set up on the Jeep may not suit them (Full time 4 wheel drive though ?) and yes it is the only vehicle I have had them on but I certainly wouldnt want to try them on anything ever again given the very lucky escape I had

Chris said:
What are you running now?

Chris

Cooper STT's :mrgreen:

not wearing great but very pleased with them with regards to behaviour, noise and grip

Nice. People seem to like those. I am on the ST.

Chris

Back