Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thoughts about this rear diff oil leak

nick_the_fish

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Hi all,

Having a bit of an oil leak from the rear diff.

tempImagebaXky8.jpg

I'm guessing its the oil seal that's gone. We're currently touring around the US and down to Central America, probably got another 10k miles until we ship home. The question is, if I keep the rear diff oil level filled, can I run like this for another 10k miles? Garage's charge $100 per hour here, and with the $/£ rate at the moment its going to be an expensive fix for something I can do myself once I'm home. Its also going to be a bit of a problem getting the parts out here, because 105 series are not legal here (emissions) and there are not that many 100's/ 80's.

Any thoughts?

N

Last edited:
Hi all,

Having a bit of an oil leak from the rear diff.

View attachment 326664

I'm guessing its the oil seal that's gone. We're currently touring around the US and down to Central America, probably got another 10k miles until we ship home. The question is, if I keep the rear diff oil level filled, can I run like this for another 10k miles? Garage's charge $100 per hour here, and with the $/£ rate at the moment its going to be an expensive fix for something I can do myself once I'm home. Its also going to be a bit of a problem getting the parts out here, because 105 series are not legal here (emissions) and there are not that many 100's/ 80's.

Any thoughts?

N
yes, if its not dripping its not really a leak.. :)

Thanks guys. I thought as much, but its always nice to have someone agree, especially when so far from home.

I guess the old adage 'oil is like blood, a little bit looks like a lot' is especially true when travelling

N

Not sure it's the pinnion seal that's leaking TBH.... the leak looks more like it's coming from the banjo bolt for I presume the air locker....
To my eye there's a track of oil from the banjo heading downwards..... nothing keeping the diff topped up won't cure and I'm willing to bet it won't need more than a thimble full at that .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back