Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil leak above my waterpump.

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
Hello guys.
I'm a bit puzzled as to we're I have an oil leak.
It looks like its around the water pump and it's on the top bolt on the left hand side top of the timingbelt cover.
I want to change my timing belt but need to fix the leak since it looks like the cover has to come off regardless.
I have attached some pictures to show where the oil is.
It looks like its been seeping for a while now but looks bad.
Any ideas what oil components are behind there that would make the oil drip like that.

Attachments

• 20230820_172010.jpg
    20230820_172010.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230820_172003.jpg
    20230820_172003.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230820_171949.jpg
    20230820_171949.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230820_171945.jpg
    20230820_171945.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230820_171212.jpg
    20230820_171212.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 25
I only wanted to no cos I have a timing bet kit to fit.
Just after a good nose around it could be the rocker cover casket.
I'm going to give I a jetwash and see how clean it comes up and keep an eye on it.
I got my timing kit from roughtrax so it's genuine parts.
It looks like its coming from the rocker cover and the auxiliary belt it throwing it around.

No as don't think they need changing yet as still got plenty of power and no signs it needs changing.

Just wondered if someone had the rocker cover off before! My moneys still on the cam seal, but see what you find!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Part number in case you need it

Attachments

• 20230821_121419.jpg
    20230821_121419.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 17
Mine looked something like that Tony, I scraped/cleaned all the gunk off and it hasn't come back.
My thoughts were that previous owner/toyota on oil top ups/refills over the years didnt use a funnel and aim was bad, resulting in that mess which is in line with engine oil filler.
Cam seal definitely a possibility though, as Karl says.

Just wondered if someone had the rocker cover off before! My moneys still on the cam seal, but see what you find!
I have had the car for nearly 4 years now and the oil hitting the Campbeltown cover is recent but hopefully getting to change the timing belt Sunday so will get more information then.

Mine looked something like that Tony, I scraped/cleaned all the gunk off and it hasn't come back.
My thoughts were that previous owner/toyota on oil top ups/refills over the years didnt use a funnel and aim was bad, resulting in that mess which is in line with engine oil filler.
Cam seal definitely a possibility though, as Karl says.
Is the Campbelt seal a home DIY job or more intense as a garage needed.

If your already doing the timing belt you can do it - need to take the top pulley off and the rocker.cover - ill do mine when doing the injectors as its all apart then anyway

Hi Tony i think its just one part, i just bought a couple of them so id have a spare after fitting. I think i got it from partsouq - added it on when i was ordering some other stuff!

Hi Tony i think its just one part, i just bought a couple of them so id have a spare after fitting. I think i got it from partsouq - added it on when i was ordering some other stuff!
OK thanks Karl I no were to look now anyway.:text-thankyouyello:

Timing belt all changed and my crank shaft pulley seal was fine.
Seems it could be my rocker cover seal.
My old belt and bearing pulley wasn't that bad but now got peace of mine it's been done.

Nice one Tony well done!

I think the rocker cover has a gasket and also requires 2 dabs of RTV, one either side of the cam pulley - could you see wheres its leaking from?

Going to give I a good jeteash with a tin of gunk and see what I find.
Only problem is I think its a small leak over a long time hence the oil build up.
Big thank you to every one for the information given as always and I no I can rely on the correct information when I come on this site.
:text-bravo::happy-wavemulticol:

Back