Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

thoughts on 80 series colour change..

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
Well, the old girls looking pretty tired paint and body work wise. Im looking at a full respray back end of this year, early next year, money and time permitting.
it wont just be a flash over itll be restoration standard.

im more than happy with the blue it was born with, imo goes well with the black rims, mirrors etc,

but... well, old henry was right wasnt he?

It's something i have looked at a lot and i can honestly say i wouldn't do it just because . Why pay more if you like the colour it is ?

Well, the old girls looking pretty tired paint and body work wise. Im looking at a full respray back end of this year, early next year, money and time permitting.
it wont just be a flash over itll be restoration standard.

im more than happy with the blue it was born with, imo goes well with the black rims, mirrors etc,

but... well, old henry was right wasnt he?
I've been thinking of a colour change too, this is what I fancy, was a suggestion from Shayne,

Dark Olive Green Land Cruiser.jpg

Painting the door shuts and returns and bonnet properly means taking them all off. There is more work in that paintwork than painting the exterior surface.

I've been thinking of a colour change too, this is what I fancy, was a suggestion from Shayne

That's a whole different ball game Chas , a coat of military paint can make almost anything look cool and it won't cost more than a hundred quid to do it with a paintbrush and a roller under the sun . Its never gonna be forecourt pretty but that wouldn't matter a damn to me and i do like the idea of doing it to an 80 .

What Chapel is talking about is making the truck look brand new and unless he intends to strip the truck to it's bare shell and have it trailered to a paint shop then 3 grand is just a deposit on what a colour change will cost .

Ironic as it may seem to , if i ever did opt to do a full resto on an 80 including pro colour change i very much doubt i would opt for black because it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity to make yourself a truly individual truck that doesn't have a twin anywhere else in the world .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Lots of places in the world that drab mat green wouldn't be looked at favorably...

IMHO - A mat finish is fine - but personally I wouldn't pick green, military, or camo effect colors. Driving through some outback village that has a beef with the local military and you might end up with some rocks being lobbed at you.... or worse.

Changing color does have its downside if you intend to sell the vehicle on, but again, when buying a high miler that's 22 years old (say) would it be so unusual for it to have been re-sprayed? Unless the next owner wants it as a mint show car, then I don't see too much of a problem

I had my blue 80 re-sprayed in (wait for it...) blue.

That saved issues with door shuts and the metalwork in the rear of the interior all being blue, and of course the blue under-hood and engine compartment.

I (well the body shop) did go to the trouble of removing all trim and glass so there was no masking-off at all, and to me that was the best thing for getting a convincing spray done.

There's nothing worse than seeing the masking lines around the windscreen and so forth.

So, I like the blue (and so does at least one other forum member, mentioning no names) so I'd recommend painting it blue.

How boring... I need to get a life. :icon-rolleyes:

Lots of places in the world that drab mat green wouldn't be looked at favorably...

IMHO - A mat finish is fine - but personally I wouldn't pick green, military, or camo effect colors. Driving through some outback village that has a beef with the local military and you might end up with some rocks being lobbed at you.... or worse.
Hmm? Yes, won't go to those places then.

Paint it blue with yellow stars because they seem to be the most violent protesters in Europe , it might not go down to well anywhere else though :lol:

I've heard of an olive drab landrover being repainted at customs to get into Morocco before. Think they repainted in with pink emulsion

Yep, your telling me what my gut is saying tbh. Keep it "that blue"....
Having it the original colour will allow me to do it in two stages as well, which suits me better money and time wise.

if i want the truck as long as i envisage, this needs doing. I see it as part of its maintenance cycle. Ive had it 12 years now and its always been my only car. Ive put 176000 miles on it..

I will be taking out the glass and removing trim etc to keep cost down.

Yep, your telling me what my gut is saying tbh. Keep it "that blue"....
Having it the original colour will allow me to do it in two stages as well, which suits me better money and time wise.

if i want the truck as long as i envisage, this needs doing. I see it as part of its maintenance cycle. Ive had it 12 years now and its always been my only car. Ive put 176000 miles on it..

I will be taking out the glass and removing trim etc to keep cost down.

Much like myself CG, 11 years ownership and 178 k km.

I intend it to outlive me, so I considered a re-spray as a maintenance investment.

The truck had been abused somewhat when I bought it, it was all shades of "that blue" and some, due to dodgy filled dents and rattle-can cover-up.

The body shop I went to were great, they found all the filler, removed it and pulled out the dents and skimmed them with a very thin layer to get a good profile.

One dent on the passenger side rear pillar was almost 3" deep :lol:, but at least the seller was honest with me, he told me where they all were as well, and how they happened. A flatbed had reversed into the rear pillar and the dent ran all the way down the truck to the front passenger door.

I never thought it would look nice when I bought it, I just wanted a cheap capable 4x4.

I paid £5k for it at 11 years old, with 212 k km on the clock, but it's soaked up at least the same in the 11 years of ownership, including the mods. I'm as pleased as punch with it, the best vehicle I've ever owned.

It still brings the stupid 80 grin to my face when I drive it, and as my DD, that's every day :lol:.

We did 2,000 km in it when my Bro-in-law came to visit us the week before last, and I loved every km of that drive, all through the Maramureş and Suceava mountains, and we were blessed with 40 cm of fresh snow, just to put the icing on the cake :icon-biggrin:.

I intend it to outlive me, so I considered a re-spray as a maintenance investment.

The truck had been abused somewhat when I bought it, it was all shades of "that blue" and some, due to dodgy filled dents and rattle-can cover-up.

The body shop I went to were great, they found all the filler, removed it and pulled out the dents and skimmed them with a very thin layer to get a good profile.

One dent on the passenger side rear pillar was almost 3" deep :lol:, but at least the seller was honest with me, he told me where they all were as well, and how they happened. A flatbed had reversed into the rear pillar and the dent ran all the way down the truck to the front passenger door.

I never thought it would look nice when I bought it, I just wanted a cheap capable 4x4.

I paid £5k for it at 11 years old, with 212 k km on the clock, but it's soaked up at least the same in the 11 years of ownership, including the mods. I'm as pleased as punch with it, the best vehicle I've ever owned.

It still brings the stupid 80 grin to my face when I drive it, and as my DD, that's every day :lol:.

We did 2,000 km in it when my Bro-in-law came to visit us the week before last, and I loved every km of that drive, all through the Maramureş and Suceava mountains, and we were blessed with 40 cm of fresh snow, just to put the icing on the cake :icon-biggrin:.
How long did your man take and could he do mine while we are there? :pray:

pray[1].gif

How long did your man take and could he do mine while we are there? :pray:

View attachment 126086

Well Chas, he had mine for a week, so with the same treatment, you might get yours back after a month :lol:.

I'd booked it in about 6 weeks ahead of schedule so that he could clear away all his little ongoing jobs and focus on mine.

If you're serious, you know you'd be welcome to stay at our place while it's in dock.

I can pay him a visit next week if you want and ask him how he's fixed. If it worked out ok, you could drop it in to him after the Comarnic visit and then stay with us in Bucharest till it's done.

You're not particularly tied to time, are you? I recon the channel crossing fare will be re-bookable, even if you have to pay a bit extra.

Great post clive, could of written that myself!
very cheap motoring as well imo..

Great post clive, could of written that myself!
very cheap motoring as well imo..

Well, I'm at an age when "fancy" cars dont appeal to me anymore. I like that the 80 is quite unique these days, it turns heads (for the right and wrong reasons) but I'm always surprised by the number of folks that approach me asking about it, what engine it has, the 4x4 transmission system, the lockers, fuel consumption, capabilities etc., I've become very proud of it over the years :lol:.

And yes, £5 k or so over the last 11 years works out at less than £500 per year, and I could shell out that much on a new Lawnroller per month and spend most of my driving time on my back trying to fix oil leaks :icon-biggrin:.

Love it :thumbup:

Well Chas, he had mine for a week, so with the same treatment, you might get yours back after a month :lol:.

I'd booked it in about 6 weeks ahead of schedule so that he could clear away all his little ongoing jobs and focus on mine.

If you're serious, you know you'd be welcome to stay at our place while it's in dock.

I can pay him a visit next week if you want and ask him how he's fixed. If it worked out ok, you could drop it in to him after the Comarnic visit and then stay with us in Bucharest till it's done.

You're not particularly tied to time, are you? I recon the channel crossing fare will be re-bookable, even if you have to pay a bit extra.
I shall give this some serious thought, it will be cheaper there than here I should think. I do have an hospital appointment a few days after our scheduled return but no doubt that could be postponed. If you could have a word with him and give him a warts and all description of my 80, I can send pictures if necessary and get an estimate on how much time he would need, we can work out how long I would need to stay.

CG i don't know how far gone your truck is but if it's not too bad i reckon mr starcruiser can put you on to someone who can fix paint ?

As with all things professional and good are two very different things and i remember meeting a very good professional once or twice many years ago ....... i think ?

Back