Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thunderpole Off-Road pack

Matt Wright

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
Hi guys
The Thunderpole products sound like they're well recommended so I'm looking at their new "Off-Road pack" which is £99.99 for the following: (£95 if u don't take the mag mount)

- Intek M-100 CB Radio
- Full size Thunderpole Orbitor (or Mini Orbitor) Antenna
- Mount of your choice - I'm going for the mag mount
- All cables, brackets and connectors you will need

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb_radio_p ... roader.htm

It's a very compacy unit and will fit in the centre console (thanks for the tip Ian)
Anyone think there's a better option? It looks good to me :)

Cheers
Matt

Someone with more experience may give a better answer but....If you're planning your trip down south, some countries border folk don't like CBs (or anything that looks like a CB?) or is just plain illegal in some places. For this reason, an unhideable place such as dash mount might not be ideal? A side mount on the transmission tunnel where a coat could be draped over it from prying eyes?

Like I said, someone with better knowledge may say otherwise. I am talking 3rd/4th hand grainy knowledge.

As for the unit itself, while it is UK / EU are the frequencies the same once you reach your destination? It might be better to splash out a bit more on the unit if you intend to use it in the future elsewhere. Off hand, I don't know what the frequencies are in SA vs UK / EU. You might end up with a paper weight when you arrive?

As for antenna mount, mag mount is best as your roof rack may change, roof bits may be moved. A drilled one cannot be un-drilled. Gutter / bumper mount would be second choice.

Thanks for those points Crispin. Based on reading the thread about the admin with taking a CB radio on a long trip, Id' decided not to take one at all.. But.. As everything is cheaper in the UK than SA, I thought it'd be useful to pop one in while I'm busy kitting her out..

More homework to do especially around the frequencies.. It will have to speak Afrikaans when it gets back

I've seen Ian's set up and it's completely hidden (cables run through the dash, centre console "flooring where the gear lever is" and then pop up in to the centre console lower section. Looks very smart..

Magnet mount definitely looks good as I will be moving it around. It's also easier to hide without having to remove a bracket. Will let you know what I find out about the SA frequencies..

Matt,
The CB will be a paperweight in SA and who are you going to talk to on it on your drive through Africa? If you were in a convoy (who all had CBs too) it might be useful but you're going solo so this presumably does not apply. Unless you're planning to use the CB while in the UK on pay&play days, Lincomb, Salisbury Plain and the like, I think you're wasting your time and money.

SA uses VHF radios and you have to have a licence etc. Also as Crispin said, it's one of those things that might be seen to have military connotations in Africa and you won't appreciate any extra attention from the "authorities" with the AK47s and spot fines :whistle:

A CB is a nice gimmick but useless for your trip through Africa. Rather put the ££ towards a satphone if you want to improve your ability to communicate whilst en route.

Cheers,

I can highly recommend the Midland Alan 42 Handheld with the car kit. You can wire it in to a fixed antenna or magmount if you want and with a bit of thought can run all the cables discretely and terminate them on surface mount Sockets that you can then plug the Alan car kit into and also a mag mount antenna. That's how I did mine anyway. Means you can remove it completely apart from the fixed cables and no-one needs to see it at all. Can just put the handheld and the magmount in a toolbox or something.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Roger that Andrew (I think I'm coming to the end of my eBay shopping spress and am running or things I need to buy :? )
I suppose 2 more tyres would be a good start :)

A wise word from Dr W advised me against fitting the CB in the dash - overheating & a pain to work on thereafter if required...

I like the sound of your handheld setup Andy... :mrgreen:

On thunderpole, Jon said he'd never had any problems with their service...

Admin, any chance of approaching them for club discount? :idea: Our official CB supplier... ;)

Matt Wright said:
It's a very compacy unit and will fit in the centre console (thanks for the tip Ian)

My CB is a TTI, not sure of the model :oops:

As Matt says it is mounted in the lower box of the centre console

DSC00092Medium.jpg

All the wiring goes out through the bottom of the box. The extension speaker is under the handbrake. I have notched the top lip of the box so the mic cable can come out and the lid still close.

Ian

Most of the guys in SA have VHF, like Andrew says - the SA Cruiser Club even have their own frequency. Those that don't use VHF typically use 29MHz radios, as found in ski-boats etc. No-one uses CB AFAIK, except maybe some farmers. I support the sat phone for emergency use idea, and wouldn't bother with the CB unless it's for local / European use in groups - the range is just too limited IMHO, and no-one uses them.

All good, thanks guys. Does pose a new question :

Does anyone know of an affordable sat phone? I looked and to buy they were over $2000 :shock:

Are there any that will do the job but not break the bank. I'm not going through Eritrea, Congo and then Southern Sudan - so this to me often feels like a case of "Do we over-egg our vehicles for Trans-Africa trips?"
It's easy to be very very prepared, but that also = more weight and expense.. Just putting it out there cause many overlanders I've spoken to who've done the trip didn't take one.. (peace!)

I dont think that I will get much use from a sat phone. There is always the question "who do you phone in an emergency?"

I'm just going to stick to routes where there will eventually be someone taking the same road who can give me a lift to the next town in an emergency.

If I had money to burn I'd get one. Would be great to text family&friends saying "got to Timbuktu" but not at that price.

BTW looks like I'll be putting my CB on ebay then :roll:

I just want a CB for going out green laning etc. Looks like the Thunderpole kit will do the job.

What you selling Ignat?

fridayman said:
I just want a CB for going out green laning etc. Looks like the Thunderpole kit will do the job.

What you selling Ignat?

I have a Midland 78 Plus.

Have to see if I can make any of the upcoming green lane events. That will be the last time I guess I will need it. Off to SA overland in December.

I'll let you know fridayman.

The Midland is pretty good. No hassles. Just dont buy a SWR meter from Maplin :evil:

I have dealt with 4x4cb.com cannot recommend them enough

Matt Wright said:
Yeah, agreed Kev..
Ps - you want those maps ;)

I do :D

PM sent :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Back