Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Timing belt & tensioner..

Towpack

Garage
Country Flag
england
The 80 is coming up for it's second belt change so I'm probably going to renew the tensioner pulley also. I've priced the OE items at £42 for the belt and £163 for the pulley. Don't mind paying if there's no real alternative but Milner's are offering both items at just over £40. With such a price difference there HAS to be a difference.......or is there? Opinion please!

When I Iooked at these recently they were genuine boxed parts
Not copies

C

Sorry scratch that completely
Wrong part
But they did look ok

C

Did you get that price from Simon or your local dealer? I only fit genuine for such critical parts for what that's worth.

I've done 3 belts on the 80 and used the origial tensioner. The WSM tells you how to safely compresss the plunger so you don't stress the hydraulics. The piston should be very tight to compress. As long as there is oil in it it should be OK. I even took it apart the first time to see how it worked. The only other points to check are the pivot which should turn freely but with no play, and the cracks which shouldn't be there :icon-biggrin:.

Frank

Used Milners twice now, once for the 70 and another for my 80, not had a problem with either.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the responses guys.

Jon,

The prices quoted were from a Toyota main dealer here in Sheffield. A called another dealer and was quoted the same prices so I guess they're the MRRP's. I think I'm gonna go with OE if only for peace of mind.

Frank,

It's not the hydraulic tensioner unit I'm changing, that's OK, it's the tensioner pulley itself.

Blimey £143 just for the pulley! Is there play in the old one? Mine has done 135,000 miles and there is no play yet.

Frank

Should be worth getting a quote from Simon then and asking for club discount? I put an OEM one on mine last year for a lot less than you quoted but there is no warranty on it if it fails and kills the engine whereas I think from a UK dealer like Simon there is some form of warranty but I could be wrong?

Back