Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tom Sheppard - Vehicle-Dependent Expedition Guide, Available

warrenpfo

Would make a great Christmas present and thought someone else aside from me might be interested:

(I have Tom's permission to post this)

Hello Warren,

I still have your e-mail enquiry dated 21 October: thank you for your patience!
I am delighted to be able to tell you that I am expecting delivery of a small reprint of Vehicle-dependent Expedition Guide, Edition 2.2 on the 20th of December. Preparation of the backlog orders will take place over the Christmas break and they will be posted as soon as possible afterwards (when the mail system logjams have cleared!).
If you would like to go ahead and place your order and payment now the book can be made available with the minimum delay.
To remind you, the price of the book remains at £36 (36GBP). Payment can be by PayPal to ‘[email protected]’ or by UK sterling cheque. If you would prefer a bank transfer, let me know and I will forward bank details. Postage and packing (P&P) charge has been reduced and simplified.
Depending on your location this is now: United Kingdom - £4.00. Europe – £8.00. Elsewhere overseas - £15.00
Thank you again for waiting. I look forward to hearing from you. (The website is being updated.)
Best regards,

Tom Sheppard

Re: Tom Sheppard - Vehicle-Dependent Expedition Guide, Avail

I have just ordered my copy :thumbup:

My copy turned up a few days ago and was put under the tree so I can have a read of it now :)

Mine too, its a big old book.

(already ducking and running for cover, but must be said given the cost)

I bought both the 4x4 and big thick independent vehicle guide and whilst they are informative, I didn't find anything in there you can't easily find out from 100's of sources on the net.

The big thick book priced at £100+ from memory is very dated and I was extremely disappointed with it. It is touted as being the one bible needed to plan any trip - but it's all so old and outdated that I barely found it useful and resorted to absolute best source of information : fellow overlanders' first hand experience.
It obviously depends what you're looking to get out of the boom.. But things change very often in every aspect of trip planning (vehicles, accessories, gps, roads, team dynamics etc).
Ok I'll stop now, just have a think before you spend £100+ on 1 book
Genuinely hope this helps others..
Start with the HUBB overland forum and this very one and go from there
Safe travels!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

You were robbed Matt, these were brand new revised edition ones not over priced sh ones :) I only got VDEG and I don't have expectations of finding lots of new and exiting information but it makes a nice change for me at least to sit and read a book instead of the computer screen.

Got my copy too as it was a crimbo pressie to myself ;)

Fantastic read. Excellent book :thumbup:

Opinions of course differ.
... it's all so old and outdated ...
Have to agree that when pointing to specific products, the info could be regarded as outdated. But majority of the volume of the book deals with principles, explains "how stuff work" and this is still very actual and it will always be. And because of this fact the book is not suitable for anyone, it definitely requires some level of technical curiosity. Today's typical 4x4 overland consumer, say one that aims to join some organized trip to a well known place, doesn't need this book. But those that do solo travels to remote places and those that organize 4x4 trips find the information and thoughts gathered in this book invaluable.

Start with the HUBB overland forum and this very one and go from there
Sorry, I just cannot agree with this recommendation (and sorry, this part is a discussion that would better be separated in another theme as it doesn't share anything with VDEG).
Today, all you can learn following HUBB discussions is that you are nowhere safe, Sahara, except the Morocco, is full of bearded bandits that are just waiting for you to appear, the Easteren European countries are Wild East where every villager is a scamer and a thief ...
The HUBB has become a place where you are wholeheartedly advised not to trust genuine locals wherever you travel. The site proudly breathes the clean Westernized air, filtered through western political and media propaganda filters, perfumed with generous amounts of xenophobia.
If someone wants to start travelling and would like to observe the world without prejudices, the HUBB is the last site I would recommend him to join. :roll:

Sorry, surely I hurt someone's feelings with these words, but this is how we from the "third world" view the situation in your sandpit. Greetings from the other side of the fence. ;)

What's this HUBB when it's at home then? You mean there's life outside Landcruiser forums? :shock:

HUBB :thumbup:

Great resource, especially for current info on borders/visas etc

Each to their own hey I guess ;)
Vrecha, just so you know, I have driven to South Africa from the UK so I some experience. The HUBB was a starting point for me, not the sole source of info. There are plenty sites like it now..
Wrt locals, locals were great almost everywhere.
A lot has to do with you as a person and how you deal with tricky circumstances - and which ones you happen to run in to.. Take spare wheel nuts ;p

Jon, the "iconic" version does cost over £100 on amazon. Least that's the one I was directed to a couple years back.. not sure why it's specifically mentioned as being better than the new one(s)

This is one hell of a topic so il going back downstairs to fit my leisure battery system :) (despite being told just yesterday it's a bad idea and to fit a dc to dc charger. Whatever that is. :))

Didn't mean to ruffle feathers, just 5c from someone whose planned and delivered to time, budget and experiences enjoyed on a big trip :)
That's easier said than done.

Got home to find the postie had managed to squeeze my copy through the letterbox :thumbup: Looks very thorough and a great reference - looking forward to reading further :mrgreen:

Lorin said:
Matt Wright said:
........and to fit a dc to dc charger. Whatever that is. :))

Is one of these http://www.sterling-power.com/products-battbatt.htm

Bought mine here http://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/product/BB1250/

Worth every penny IMO :thumbup:

Very cool Lorin, but £274 :shock: Think I'll stick with old faithful
Thanks for the link, nice to know what it is. Didn't manage to click google / wikipedia ;)
Hope your truck's almost ready to go go go!!!

Warren, Jon, Andrew - please do share your thoughts after reading the book - that's what this is all about really! Thanks

Matt Wright said:
Very cool Lorin, but £274 :shock: Think I'll stick with old faithful
The Stirling DC-DC charger is good, gets a lot of charge back into your aux battery in a very short time compared to alternator only charging and will help keep the battery in tip top condition for longer because it's being charged properly.

My last post was obviously written in a slightly angry state (got me in this kind of mood, my fault, not yours ;) ... sorry).

I do agree the HUBB is a useful place for visas, some rough ideas of where (not) to stop etc, but useful info is buried under tons of not only unnecessary but sometimes even misleading crap. But hey, this is a plague that attacks most forums. But as said I don't like the prevailing feeling there, too westernly biased. Otherwise as Matt said, it's not the one and only site on the subject today. But I guess it's the biggest. (?)

.. I have driven to South Africa from the UK so I have some experience ...
While this fact alone doesn't tell (me) anything of the experiences, less of the attitude of the person ... ;)
... I visited your site a few times and it looks nicely done adventure. Congrats for the trip. :thumbup:
And also because of this fact you caught me surprised when you explained your view on VDEG.

But this is a topic about VDEG (and I'm loading it with "unnecessary crap", I know, will stop).
And I'm also interested to hear what you that got fresh prints of the book think of it.
But it is really not a book to "read through", is it? I view it more as a guide which you consult on some topic and then expand the research if necessary.

Verjetno najve?ja spletna zbirka ažurnih informacij za motorizirane popotnike. Ob branju se je dobro zavedati, da mnoge zaklju?ke in sodbe prežema Angleški sentiment, ki je zlasti na podro?ju dojemanja varnosti in sprejemanja druga?nih kultur vse prej kot sproš?en in prilagodljiv.

Back