Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Torches

All this talk has got my wallet twitching, I've got three small (2 AA size) and a large D-Cell Maglite, two LED torches a couple of rechargeable lantern types in the truck and a Cree A20 Torch+Holster coming soon from Hong Kong. Oh, and a tiny wee LED one on my keyring, gives out an amazing amount of light :cool: I suppose I could always use some more though. :lol:

My mag hasn't been very useful because it's used very infrequently and more often than not needs new batteries which we never seem to have because nothing else uses D cells! I looked at the LED upgrade but that's halfway to the cost of a fancy torch :think: I like that some of the torches being mentioned will take AA's as I have those for my camera and a 12v charger already :) and Gary's choice looks nice now I'm getting over the price :thumbup:

We get issued these little LED torches we call fish eyes as they have a fish eye shaped lens on the front. it's only about the size of a cyalume stick so you can stick it through the loops on the front of your armour, they run on three AAA batteries but they last forever, are waterproof and immensely powerful for their size.

I'll try and find out who makes them and whether civvies can buy them?

I've had a lot of sucess with surefire torches before, only trouble is that they take the batteries like in cameras so are a bit dear, but are very cheap in the States.
We used to have them given to us for free so wasn't a problem, same as the ones fixed on an MP5 which is why we had them ;)

To be fair, I hardy ever use a touch except to find the toilet on a campsite some of these prices seem :shock: to me :mrgreen:

We use some £4.99 windup torches when we're away in the caravan for wandering about at night but they're a bit rubbish if you want to see more than an outline of a path to follow. I thought a mag was the posh end of torches till this thread :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Tommo&Claire said:
I'll try and find out who makes them and whether civvies can buy them?
They sound interesting Tommo :thumbup:

Jon Wildsmith said:
I thought a mag was the posh end of torches till this thread :lol:

and me, I feel a little embarrassed with my £12 Tesco's jobbie now :p

We will have to do some comparison testing at the Pyrenees :mrgreen:

Jon, can lend you one for your trip, wont be using it as much then. :thumbup:

Just ordered a Led Lenser P7 on ebay! :techie-idea: :cool:

Having been away for the hols and busy with family, I've only come across this thread now - coincidentally I have been doing some research on decent torches too. As most of the torch technology seems to be developing in China (Fenix and I think Surefire are made just near Hong Kong - Shen Zhen I think is the place) I was thinking about trying to "procure from source" if possible and avoid the huge mark-ups that no doubt apply to such low volume items in the UK. Here comes the "good" part - what about asking our intrepid China explorer, Mr. Rubie whether he'd like to add a selection of these wonderful gadgets to his shopping list :idea: Ian, are you following this? :mrgreen:

TonyS said:
Depending on budget, Jon, I can get you a fab deal at http://www.allcocksoutdoorstore.co.uk !!!
I have ordered something (from somewhere else) so I'll see how that turns out. I had a browse of that site though and would you believe it but I really do need to replace my Meindl boots! I'll PM you :mrgreen:

fridayman said:
Richard Jackaman said:
Another vote for LED Lenser torches. Got one of these Lenser P7
Brilliant output from a small package.

Cheers

Richard

Same one that I have. Excellent piece of kit.

Also have this, but in the T7 guise with handebar mount. Bought it for my bicycle for no-light midnight lanes; even on low power wide beam it can light up everything suitably. Very impressed given the equivalent bike lights come in at around 300 quid.
T7:
10502_Ledlenser_T7_01.jpg

P7:
led_lenser_torch_p7__13166__54773_zoom.jpg

Gary Stockton said:
If it were me, I'd get myself one (or more :cool: ) of these:

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix_tk40.html

fenix-tk40.jpg

Got to be one of the best tactical torches going ... :cool: :lol: :lol:

The whole range is very good actually
I bought one of these but thought I'd save reporting on it till after our weekend in Wales where it was very handy. Having 4 output levels was very handy, didn't use the strobe features but if you wanted to attract attention it would surely do just that. Most of the weight in it is the batteries so it's not too much of a drag in your coat pocket but you wouldn't want to get wacked by it :mrgreen: The lanyard it comes with is not so good being made for small hands I think and also very thin cord so I will be replacing that.

Back