Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Torque convertors and lockup

Spoke to the guys doing the work today. It appears the box was 'repaired to a price' at some point in the past and not very well either reading between the lines. They've fully stripped it now and found it in pretty poor shape internally which is in a way a good thing as everything in it will be new and good when it gets rebuilt. This seems to further support the theory that the box was filled with coolant from a cracked radiator and failed then repaired and sold on.

Just looking forward to it coming back now - touch wood by the weekend.

Well it was confirmed today. Spoke to the rebuilders and the box was full of 'rust' from a previous failure of the radiator. It had been bodged to get it running and hence it failed again. The o/d clutch pack and bands were both totally fried where they had been slipping. Hoping to have it back next week all fully cleaned out and sorted with new clutch packs throughout and a full set of new solenoids.

Last edited:
Finally (after 7 weeks) I have a working Landcruiser again. When they pulled the box out it was full of brown rust where the coolant had got in (previous owner). The box had been repaired (bodged more like) badly and where it should have been fully cleaned and reassemmbled it hadnt. This then ld to sticking shift valves and eventually clutch pack failure (which was what I experienced).

My garage replaced the pack and fully cleaned it all and also replaced all the seals (one for the piston for 4th gear had split). Unfortunately the box failed again inside 24 hours - again with the same failed clutch pack.

After eventually disassembling the gearbox again they found 2 of the shift solenoids still sticking as a result of damage to the valve body (very subtle damage but enough to cause issues).

So now with a fully repaired valve body, a full set of clutches, new solenoids, new seals and a rebult TC I have it all back again. It shifts wonderfully smoothly and is lovely and quiet.

During the time the 95 was off in the garage my main transport was my 1991 Defender. It never missed a beat (and hasn't in the past 5 years aside from a cylinder head, water pump, propshaft and alternator). Given the 95 has already had an alternator and a gearbox its got a way to go now...So much for the reliability of Toyota vs Defenders..... :whistle:

I think that radiator failures will become more common and lead to more and more auto trans issues as the 90 series ages - the youngest is 10years + now. There are many 90s out there that are still used as "normal" family cars and many owners will be unaware of this potentially crippling issue. Hopefully forums like this will help spread the word, so to speak but many will still be unaware. Unfortunately due to the age and value of many of these 90s, an autobox failure, may mean that it is not economically viable to repair and I can see many cars getting scrapped.

If you read most of the advice to 90 series "newbies" here, is to change the radiator pronto. Unfortunately in your case, it seems to have failed when it was in the care of a previous owner - and bodged to make good. :-(

Last edited:
Agreed. Mine is one of the younger ones being a 2001 version. The only positive from future failures is a ready supply of spare parts for the rest of us.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Another "newbie" has joined the other side last night and is reporting similar auto box issues on a 1999 V plate Colorado.......

Back