Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tow a coach - Could I have done it?

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
Yesterday while on the way home I rounded a bend on a particularly fast road only to be greeted by Mr HiVis waving me frantically out of the way. His coach had broken down and was crossing left left and middle lane of a 3 lane road on a blind bend.

For a second I though, should I offer to tow him to somewhere less dangerous. There were no passengers that I could see so thought it would be worth a try.

I chickened out with the idea he would have declined on some safety reasons.

I have a 5T (SWL of 7), 10m strap and some pretty hefty shackles (Chris, not the ones you and Ray laughed at me about)
I figured I could double up the strap, through the standard tow eyes on the 120, low range and slowly see what breaks.

Like I said, I chickened out. Wish I had an 80 :)

Hmmm, you probably would have been able to tow him.... I have seen footage of people pulling all sorts of vehicles with parts of their bodies! I guess so long as you do a gentle start I can't see why not, however mr Health and Safty / insurance might have a different point of view :roll:

Mr Health and Safety here. Nothing to do with Health and Safety. Certainly not health. No know health effects or occupational diseases from towing.
Safety - in a general sense yes, but in terms of legislation. Nope.

Just spent all day in court number 6 on a prosecution for failure of general duty under section 2. Trust me. I am an expert.

Chris

Aside from the legalities.

I drove coaches for years and during the winter when the batteries were prone to die overnight I 'tow started'
11 to 14 ton coaches on many occasions. A bit tricky with my old V8 Disco but a doddle with the 80, even when
the driver suddenly drops the clutch.

I also assisited a car transporter out of a field and he had five Crysler jeeps on board. Admittedly he was using his own power and I was only helping.

Crispin said:
Yesterday while on the way home I rounded a bend on a particularly fast road only to be greeted by Mr HiVis waving me frantically out of the way. His coach had broken down and was crossing left left and middle lane of a 3 lane road on a blind bend.

For a second I though, should I offer to tow him to somewhere less dangerous. There were no passengers that I could see so thought it would be worth a try.

I chickened out with the idea he would have declined on some safety reasons.

I have a 5T (SWL of 7), 10m strap and some pretty hefty shackles (Chris, not the ones you and Ray laughed at me about)
I figured I could double up the strap, through the standard tow eyes on the 120, low range and slowly see what breaks.

Like I said, I chickened out. Wish I had an 80 :)

Hi Crispin

The only think I would say, depends on what was wrong, if he had lost all his air for the brakes, nowt would move it

Steve

In the past I have pull trains and carriages with a 88 petrol LR (it was more a worry about stopping them tbh) so a LC would have no problem :mrgreen:

It used to be fun working with crown immunity.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back