Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tow bar electrics

Ecky Thump

Garage
Can't tell you too much yet because I only have scant info.

My mate is also my MOT man, He tells me that in a couple of months the tow bar electrics will be coming into the MOT test.
He isn't sure how this is going to work yet as when I mentioned recievers he said they aren't classed as tow bars so therefore will the 12N socket have to work????
If a car has a tow bar but no electrics, will this be a fail????
If you have an oddball socket on the car and a compatible plug on your caravan, will the socket fail if it can't be tested????
He doesn't know any answers yet but it may be worth keeping an eye on this for future reference.

I don't know about you lot but I have damaged my 12N loads of times off road and keep having to rewire it so I can use my trailer.

Ecky Thump said:
Can't tell you too much yet because I only have scant info.

My mate is also my MOT man, He tells me that in a couple of months the tow bar electrics will be coming into the MOT test.
He isn't sure how this is going to work yet as when I mentioned recievers he said they aren't classed as tow bars so therefore will the 12N socket have to work????
If a car has a tow bar but no electrics, will this be a fail????
If you have an oddball socket on the car and a compatible plug on your caravan, will the socket fail if it can't be tested????
He doesn't know any answers yet but it may be worth keeping an eye on this for future reference.

I don't know about you lot but I have damaged my 12N loads of times off road and keep having to rewire it so I can use my trailer.

Hi Les

I think you will find it has nothing to with the electrics, as you say about a "oddball" socket, the thing is there is no requirement for a certain type of socket, so if another type is used and works then how can it be a fail.

From What I have heard is it just the integrity of the metal work, and how it is fitted, ie secure with no nuts missing and tight etc.

Well that's not a problem. Quick look, tap with a hammer and a wiggle. 25% elongation in the holes is acceptable? Can't see many towbar failures with that sot of tolerance.

One point though which is a technical typo is this:
No covers or panels will be removed to facilitate the inspection of any components, including tow ball covers. Components hidden behind bumper bars for instance, will be tested as far as is practicable.

Practicable is an absolute term - able to be put into practice, that which CAN be done, feasible or possible. There is no leeway in this (trust me, it's the foundation of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and the Abrasive Wheel Regulations following Summers V Frost 1957 from memory). What they meant was either reasonably practicable OR practical. But not practicable.

Well it is Friday.

Chris

I appreciate your replies guys but we know about the tow bar testing.
This is a new test in the pipeline for the future.
He tells me that VOSA often come up with new ideas that are so impractical that they can't work. However he is convinced that this one will happen but he doesn't know in what form yet.
There are two guys in the garage who do tests and they were both mentioning it to me. My mate isn't the type to go for a wind up and I heard him telling another customer the same thing.

Ecky Thump said:

Thought about mounting it differently? My twin electrics are now tucked away, bolted to the top fuel tank guard mount. I used to knock them all the time but no problems now, and they're still close enough to the rear and the centre of the car for the trailer board cable not to dangle.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I tucked them underneath on my old 80 but then they were always full of wet mud and corroded. This time I've just riveted the mounting plate to the bumper:

Image0057.jpg

Oh go on then

IMGP3849.jpg

Back