Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Towing in the UK question..

if you cant do the time dont do the crime...why not just email the uk police and get a straight answer in writing. The fact that you have extra towing cover might ring alarm bells though as the normal driver doesnt require this. I have seen the traffic police on the A55 use load mats on various setups but not sure if that was aimed at tacho infringements. why not just get it dropped at holyhead and loaded as frieght. Usually no more expensive than driving over and towing back for small load like that

He asked as he was trying to keep it simple in his mind, and I hadn't thought of this complication... might be better off to look at that option. He would drive it back only the insurers won't touch it until it's landed in Dublin. Thanks again for the replies. Few emails to be sent!

I agree totally with your comment, but the devil is in the detail, any transit type van and any pick up is seen to be commercial in the eyes of VOSA, you have to prove its not business, however what they call dual purpose vehicles ( discos, defenders ( not pick ups) 80s etc are not seen in the same category) when I get time I'll post up their paperwork that they gave me at the seminar, but best is to go on their website, of course anything you do with a trailer (as rightly said) for your own pleasure or leisure does not come under the same rules, and worth noting that I believe Isuzu pick ups come from the factory with wiring provision for a Tacho, I don't know if others do or don't , but it shows the information has been out there .
The transit/ Ifor Williams 3.5 ton bit could be iffy as I believe its EEC law not local, it may be local to not make an issue, but if you ever travel over/ under the Dartford crossing ( ( England not Eire) you will be under the scrutiny of well clued up VOSA , who do know the rules.
I was stopped by the French police near Clermont Ferrand, I had my off Roader on my Ifor Williams. He checked my vin plate on the 80, the plate on the trailer to see if it was ok for the weight, the ratchet straps holding the truck down, all the paperwork for the 80, than asked for the paperwork for the Froader ( which I believe he didn't have grounds for) when he checked my licence he noted that I was an LGV qualified driver, ticked all the boxes on his sheet and bid me a good journey, he new exactly what he was looking for by virtue of his tick sheet, I'm sure it will be the same here, eventually.
Best regards to all, Bill Westley
Unless it's a double cab pick up as they are dual purpose vehicles. I don't think many pickups would actually reach the weight limit to be needing one. Some of them that now have 3.5 ton towing limits might but even so, unless your in the haulage business, you don't need a tacho. It can be a little more tricky if you are driving a commercial vehicle like a van, but not much. It's up to the courts to prove you are committing a crime, not the other way round and there are lots of drivers of transit vans towing trailers that don't need tachos. As I understand it, for example, if you are a groundsman towing a mower, you don't need a tacho, because the nature of your business is not haulage, you are simply moving the tools of you trade, for which you do not need a tacho, same if you were a builder pulling a mini digger. There are in fact very few people that would need a tacho on a light commercial vehicle. One that springs to mind might be someone driving a Discovery for the purpose of delivering caravans, as a business, Or if you were a car dealer, going to pick up a vehicle on a trailer, but you aren't, I presume.

Last edited:
if you cant do the time dont do the crime...why not just email the uk police and get a straight answer in writing. The fact that you have extra towing cover might ring alarm bells though as the normal driver doesnt require this. I have seen the traffic police on the A55 use load mats on various setups but not sure if that was aimed at tacho infringements. why not just get it dropped at holyhead and loaded as frieght. Usually no more expensive than driving over and towing back for small load like that
1. It's not a crime
2. The police frequently haven't got a clue, and are very unlikely to give you an answer, it's a VOSA thing. I emailed VOSA about a dispute on another forum regarding towing trailers rated higher than the vehicles quoted towing capacity and received a prompt reply from VOSA (which confirmed I was correct). I was once pulled by traffic when driving an HGV illegally using 2 different tacho sheets. They didn't have a clue what they were talking about and I managed to talk my way out of it because I did.
3. Load mats are used for checking axle weights, it has nothing to do with licensing, tachos etc
4. No reason at all why he shouldn't go and collect it himself.

bob there is a 30hr return that you can get for trade. Irish ferries I think, during the week its about €80 return plus trailer.@ approx €40 e/w. I knoe a chap who used it recently. He drove over in a corsa with a tow dolly in the boot then drove a cruiser back with the corsa in tow!

Yeah I saw that, restricted to weekends only with work unfortunately. Still looking at reasonable weekend next day return with Irish Ferries, about half the price of Stena!

Yep as said be sure the trip is ‘personal’ it's OK if it’s a favour for a friend so long as no money changes hands (towards your diesel, tolls etc) then it becomes business and a tacho is required. Best if the vehicle you are picking up is part yours (for the day).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Don’t know if it’s the same for Irish routes but I recntly hopped over to Holland and booked via directferries for half the price than the ferry company direct. There are two websites directferries and I think the other is aferry.co.uk. Both half the price of the ferry company direct

aybe theres a cruiser owner here willing to take a part-load to an irish sea port of your choice for a handful of... er milners vouchers maybe..

aybe theres a cruiser owner here willing to take a part-load to an irish sea port of your choice for a handful of... er milners vouchers maybe..

I seem to recall that we have a member on here that uses his cruiser to tow as his business.
Tony Tugboat is the business name I think.

I could depending what it is

Update on this, we've been in contact with a small company who do this including registration and taxation etc, who can do it for not much more than out costs so getting them to handle it. More a question of value for money and convenience. Thanks for the replies all

Sounds like the perfect solution Bob.
Pay money.
Cruiser appears.
:icon-biggrin:

Sounds like the perfect solution Bob.
Pay money.
Cruiser appears.
:icon-biggrin:

Wish it was a cruiser, this mate is into classic Fords, buying a Mercury Merkur, bit of an oddball version of a Sierra XR4.. not really my thing

Back