Toyota Landcruiser ZX Landcruiser Automatic Station Wagon

Richard Wakefield

New Member
Sep 7, 2012
4
0
1
Good day
We are based in central Mozambique and We have a 1990 ZX Landcruiser and I am having problems with selecting gears. On the dipstick it is above "hot" on the dipstick before I start up in the morning. I obviously suspect that our mechanic has over filled our auto transmission box and I need to confirm what the right oil we should be using. Can anyone help us with some advice? Kind regards Richard Wakefield
 

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
I am in zimbabwe
Sep 10, 2012
3,924
38
48
Edinburgh
Garage
Re: Toyota Landcruiser ZX Landcruiser Automatic Station Wago

Welcome Richard - I think that's a southern African 90 series designation - ex UN maybe?

No idea on what oils to put in that are available in your neck of the woods - however, the South African contingent have an interesting thread here as recommended by Johann Meyer, the local 'Cruiser Whisperer' which may well answer your questions.

Cheers
 

Doodle

Well-Known Member
Aug 20, 2012
939
1
38
Echo Beach
Garage
Re: Toyota Landcruiser ZX Landcruiser Automatic Station Wago

1990 ZX would make it a 70 series, surely?
 

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
I am in zimbabwe
Sep 10, 2012
3,924
38
48
Edinburgh
Garage
Re: Toyota Landcruiser ZX Landcruiser Automatic Station Wago

Quite possibly ;-). But the link should help anyway.
 
Don't like the adverts? Remove them by becoming a supporting member.   Click here

wobbly

Well-Known Member
Nov 27, 2010
2,639
92
48
Gods own Somerset, home of Alfred the Great!
Garage
Re: Toyota Landcruiser ZX Landcruiser Automatic Station Wago

Could be a 70 or 80 series?

There will be a chassis plate under the bonnet - maybe attached to the bulkhead, which will identify it.

What did your mechanic put in it - it should have either a Dextron II spec, mineral was what it had originally, but semi-synthetic would be better if available. IMO avoid fully synthetic.

Its easy enough to solve overfilling - just undo the drain a little and let some out. The atf should be a dark red colour, with no froth or unusual burnt smells.

I havent read the other thread but you should as it sounds like its geographically related to you.

Regards

Pete
 

Richard Wakefield

New Member
Sep 7, 2012
4
0
1
Re: Toyota Landcruiser ZX Landcruiser Automatic Station Wago

Gary Stockton said:
Welcome Richard - I think that's a southern African 90 series designation - ex UN maybe?

No idea on what oils to put in that are available in your neck of the woods - however, the South African contingent have an interesting thread here as recommended by Johann Meyer, the local 'Cruiser Whisperer' which may well answer your questions.

Cheers
Thanks Gary for your advice
Will contact the South African Toyota Club
Cheers
 

Richard Wakefield

New Member
Sep 7, 2012
4
0
1
Re: Toyota Landcruiser ZX Landcruiser Automatic Station Wago

wobbly said:
Could be a 70 or 80 series?

There will be a chassis plate under the bonnet - maybe attached to the bulkhead, which will identify it.

What did your mechanic put in it - it should have either a Dextron II spec, mineral was what it had originally, but semi-synthetic would be better if available. IMO avoid fully synthetic.

Its easy enough to solve overfilling - just undo the drain a little and let some out. The atf should be a dark red colour, with no froth or unusual burnt smells.

I havent read the other thread but you should as it sounds like its geographically related to you.

Regards

Pete
Hi Pete. Thanks for your reply. It is a Japanese Import. Our mechanic put in Atf Dextron (Red Oil). I drained the oil and corrected the level of oil. The oil was a dark red colour but no froth or smell. I eventually adjusted the linkage nut between the gear lever and gearbox and it sorted the problem. Appreciate your comments. What a great internet site when you are stuck in the middle of no where!Many thanks. Regards
Richard
 

BlackWidow

Well-Known Member
Mar 2, 2010
315
0
36
Gillingham (Dorset)
Garage
Re: Toyota Landcruiser ZX Landcruiser Automatic Station Wago

Richard Wakefield said:
Good day
On the dipstick it is above "hot" on the dipstick before I start up in the morning.
Hi Richard and welcome,

I hope that I am not teaching you how to suck eggs here but the oil level should be checked with the engine running and the oil up to temperature. From 'Park' go slowly through all the gears and back up to 'Park' with your foot on the brake, then dip the oil. There are a few chambers that have be be filled in order to get a correct reading.

Steve
 

Richard Wakefield

New Member
Sep 7, 2012
4
0
1
Re: Toyota Landcruiser ZX Landcruiser Automatic Station Wago

BlackWidow said:
Richard Wakefield said:
Good day
On the dipstick it is above "hot" on the dipstick before I start up in the morning.
Hi Richard and welcome,

I hope that I am not teaching you how to suck eggs here but the oil level should be checked with the engine running and the oil up to temperature. From 'Park' go slowly through all the gears and back up to 'Park' with your foot on the brake, then dip the oil. There are a few chambers that have be be filled in order to get a correct reading.

Steve
Hi Steve
Not at all. I actually was unaware of that. I will give it a try. Thanks again
 
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks