Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota Rav 5 door for the wife

chriscolleman

The wife and me are contemplating a change.

At the moment she's got one of those small babybenz city runarounds.

Who has got a RAV4 as a grocery getter, city runaround, grandchild transporter and what do you like about it??

I like the 4 wheel drive and the fact that its a mini cruiser, but the wife need decent constructive proRAV arguments.

Lucy has had a 3 door 2.0 petrol Rav for 6 years now. It is the longest she has kept a car so I guess that must say something. It returns around 28mpg on average and about 30-32 on a run.

In the 6 years apart from routine maintenance, all it has needed is a water pump.

As we live in a remote area and with the Cruiser off the road at the moment, the little Rav has been our main transport the last few days as my BMW is pants at the snow.

It even has a center diff lock :thumbup:

We are thinking about a petrol as well. It will only sporadically see highway use.

Do they need timing belt changes? I seem to remember from previous encounters some models have chain driven timing.

chriscolleman said:
Do they need timing belt changes? I seem to remember from previous encounters some models have chain driven timing.
Yes there is a timing belt on Lucy's, it was changed when the water pump was replaced.

My wife has a 5 door petrol Rav and she likes it ... feels like driving a go kart compared to my 100 but it's an easy, reasonably comfy drive. Seems to have typical Toyota reliability so far.

I've had a few, they drive brilliantly & very car like, almost Gti like to be honest (go on give one a poke & see) the 2.0 engine is straight out of the older Celica.

The late 90's ones are truly bombproof

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Our main gripe with the BabyBenz is its very nervous driving style. When you get some speed up it wants to go all over the place. The slightest bump or seam in the road, it gets steering input and is off in that direction.
You're continually adjusting the steering.

Great for nervous city driving as it reacts immediatly, but our days of nervous buzzing around have long gone.

Me and Patricia prefer something a little more sure tracked.
Untill I get on my quad that is, I suffer a bad back the following week. But great fun.

The wife has an 03 5door diesel and its great as a run around. We have owned it fom 06 and she has not given us a days trouble. Cambelt was changed at 60k and the waterpump at the same time but oterwise its been great.

I would deffo get another one anyday.

Ours has a full toyo service history and gets done once a year.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
We,ve a 2001 5 door 2.0VVTi. Bought it in ,05 with about 80k on the clock. Ex lease car with a good Toyo history. It now has 120k and the only 'fault' with it has been the exhaust manifold mounted O2 sensors needed replacing 3 years back. I let Toyo do it (2 separate sensors failed about 2 months apart) at a total cost of about £300. Literally not another thing needed apart from the normal consumables. Original exhaust too. I have done all the servicing since, typically annually: usual oils and filters. This winter I will also do coolant change, along with my LC, and a brake fluid change. Sails thro' the MOT. All it needs now is a set of front ARB bushes and new drop links as they are rattling a bit.

Far more practical then the newest generation motor if you have a family of squirts in the rear, as we do. The rear seats (60/40 split with Isofix mounts) slide, fold and are removable and even when slid rearmost there is still a decent boot. The 2.0 engine is 150bhp and runs at about 28-30 mpg with her driving. No timing belt on the VVTi as it is chain driven. Engine is a peach and never needs oil top ups and runs like new. Easy on tyres and 30k plus is typical. Downsides include that it is only a 5 sp (later ones were 6 I think) and on longer journeys, for the longer legged (i.e. me), the driving position and seats coudl be better.

Well recommended especially if you get the slightly later model that was facelifted a bit internally. If you are doing average mileage go petrol. The diesel is not that good and the petrol has miles more bhp. Not much mpg defference either. Water pump failure is an issue on the diesels I've heard, as noted above. Full time 4WD is also pretty important where we live and has been invaluable this last few years as it leave SHIMBO independent and mobile.

Cracking motor and changed my views on the Toyo brand quite a bit....She loves it and we'll be hanging on to it until it falls apart. :lol:

Mightn't be allowed to say this but shuld also look at the similar Honda CRV from mid 2000s. Also a cracking motor with the Honda 2.0VTEC engine and the nice iCTDi diesel. RAV a bit smaller though.

Thanks for impressive review Nuclear.

I remembered there was a version with timing chain.
I'm on the lookout.

At the moment she's got a Citroen C3 Piccaso lodged between her ears.
A citroen pi&ce of CR@P if you ask my opinion.
But hey its the other half, so I'm gently weaning her off it :violin:

Nuclear Chicken said:
Full time 4WD is also pretty important where we live and has been invaluable this last few years as it leave SHIMBO independent and mobile.
Are the latest RAV's still fulltime 4WD - I seem to recall that in the latest model they'd gone to a similar system to the CRVs and X-Trail where they are really just front wheel drive with a viscous coupling/LSD centre diff that kicks in when the front tyres lose traction? I think the (wiping mouth) Freelanders and Subaru Forester (cracking car that might be an alternative here :?: ) are the only mainstream small SUVs still running genuine fulltime 4WD. I could be completely wide of the mark here though :|

Probably not a big deal but my experience of these "part-fulltime" 4WDs is that they are not great in slippery or limited traction situations because the split second it takes to engage the rear wheel drive, you've lost momentum or met the ditch/hedge. So maybe worth confirming if you're looking at the latest gen RAV :p

Cheers,

Dunno about latest gen RAVs Andrew, but the version we have, prior to the latest model (to about '07 I think) is deffo fulltime 4WD. Just no H/L selectable t-box. Wouldn't surprise me. VW/ Audi and all that range use the sissy Haldex viscous stuff too and aren't full time 4WD either.

Yip, the previous ones were proper 4wd :thumbup: I'm probably wrong but for some reason I think I recall reading an article about the latest RAVs going for the "Honda version" drivetrain in the interests of economy etc.

Back