Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

TPA800 parking sensors

I looked at those downloads you posted thanks, very heavy, made my head spin with so much to take in.
I will go further into it, as I didn't quite understand what the programming lead was and where to connect it, or where to get it. Maybe it comes with the vehicle new, as not aftermarket.
The switch, - now, I did see on one of those drawings, that switch needs to have a flat area uppermost, like off position of domestic light switch, with the red area not visible. Mine was in the right position to start with. That little green light, lower dash, is controlled by that rear switch. The centre of that light can be pushed, (slight pressure felt) when pushed it bleeps and light goes off, push again, bleep and light comes on. Push in and hold, it bleeps twice, for on and off.
Now I have told you all that neither of us is any further forward ! Will keep looking

I will go further into it, as I didn't quite understand what the programming lead was and where to connect it, or where to get it. Maybe it comes with the vehicle new, as not aftermarket.

My current theory is that the programming lead is that green light / button you mention below - ie the one on the lower dash. I think it connects into the parking sensor wiring loom just behind the glove box; and I think there are TWO places there it can plug into; one is the normal operational socket and the other is the programming/setup one. I'll have a look next time I have the glove box out - probably tomorrow :)

If you look on the installation guide, page 25, step 51 bottom left. See the C/F connector - I think that's where the button/light plugs into and I think there is two options!

The switch, - now, I did see on one of those drawings, that switch needs to have a flat area uppermost, like off position of domestic light switch, with the red area not visible. Mine was in the right position to start with. That little green light, lower dash, is controlled by that rear switch. The centre of that light can be pushed, (slight pressure felt) when pushed it bleeps and light goes off, push again, bleep and light comes on. Push in and hold, it bleeps twice, for on and off.
Now I have told you all that neither of us is any further forward ! Will keep looking

Thanks for that - its handy for me to know, because I can't even get my switch to light up!

My current theory is that the programming lead is that green light / button you mention below - ie the one on the lower dash. I think it connects into the parking sensor wiring loom just behind the glove box; and I think there are TWO places there it can plug into; one is the normal operational socket and the other is the programming/setup one. I'll have a look next time I have the glove box out - probably tomorrow :)

If you look on the installation guide, page 25, step 51 bottom left. See the C/F connector - I think that's where the button/light plugs into and I think there is two options!

Thanks for that - its handy for me to know, because I can't even get my switch to light up!
OK mate, there is apparently a fuse for the sensors, don't know which one, will look tomorrow.
From what I've found the switch in the rear cubby does the rear sensors on/ off and the dash one does the fronts. During the course of all this I also found out the controller is in the rear jack chubby, near to that red towing relay you replaced. I found it when I replaced the towing socket on mine, and didnt know what it was. It's squarish and flat with multi connector wiring, just laying loose in amongst the wiring in there wrapped in soft black foam. Cheers

Behind the glovebox - Programming wire actually has a label on it!

Attachments

• tempFileForShare_20200517-144604.jpg
    tempFileForShare_20200517-144604.jpg
    721.2 KB · Views: 46
It's squarish and flat with multi connector wiring, just laying loose in amongst the wiring in there wrapped in soft black foam.

This one - for the benefit of those who come to this thread in the future!

Attachments

• tpa800-module.jpg
    tpa800-module.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 50
This one - for the benefit of those who come to this thread in the future!
That's the baby. Interestingly these parts that Toyota dont/won't supply are badged Toyota.
I found out that they are actually Cobra, maybe the car security people ?
I also can't find a fuse for sensors, on lc or in handbook. I have found in the wallet in the vehicle a handbook dedicated to " Toyota parking aid system TPA800, funny they put their name to something which is not theirs, and won't supply parts.
This gives some info about that switch in the rear cubby. It seems what I told you was incorrect .
The manual shows a clearer picture, with the switch up the other way and clearly states the that red position showing is 'ON'. The trouble shooting guide is, 'take it to your Toyota dealer'
Nothing about programming and a lead. Even if I was to go that route ( deffo no) if it's not theirs, how would they fix it, get a third party ? I could do that at a fraction of the cost. Anyway will keep playing.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That looks the same as the 'Toyota' one, and the price is not too shabby either, considering the control module on is own, I could only find elsewhere was between 35/60 notes. At that price, it's worth ripping out 'Toyota's and replacing the whole system with that, although that is for rear only, - direct as well, so no assing about if problems or wanting info. Mr Jabber sir, you have done the buisness once again.

I found out that they are actually Cobra, maybe the car security people ?
I also can't find a fuse for sensors, on lc or in handbook.
Interesting - the label on the wire says COBRA as well....

The fuses arent in the fusebox - theyre inline. I think theres one behind the glovebox right by those plugs. And there another one in the back somewhere.

I have found in the wallet in the vehicle a handbook dedicated to " Toyota parking aid system TPA800, funny they put their name to something which is not theirs, and won't supply parts.
They all have toyota part numbers dont they - weird they wont supply the parts. The same system is on loads of Toyotas as well - if you search around, its on Rav4, avensis etc

This gives some info about that switch in the rear cubby. It seems what I told you was incorrect .
The manual shows a clearer picture, with the switch up the other way and clearly states the that red position showing is 'ON'. The trouble shooting guide is, 'take it to your Toyota dealer'

Thanks for that!

Nothing about programming and a lead. Even if I was to go that route ( deffo no) if it's not theirs, how would they fix it, get a third party ? I could do that at a fraction of the cost. Anyway will keep playing.

I doubt it would be in that user manual, as its an installation thing. There is a function on that programming thing, READ OUT SYSTEM ERRORS; (see page 51 in that programming/setup doc; it can supposedly pinpoint a bad speaker, a bad sensor or a bad control unit. Who knows though...

Personally after my previous experience, I dont trust Mr T to diagnose anything on these.

Thanks Karl, good to know it's there, but not sure what to do with it, perhaps unplug it and plug something
(Test) in its place ?
Yep. So, theres two connectors on that loom - (F) in installation guide. The dashboard light/button has a plug on the other end, which plugs into one of those connectors for normal use. The 'normal' connector has two wires going off it. The 'programing' connector only has one - just in case yours doesnt have the label on it!

So, unplug the button from the one its in, and shove it into the programming connector. Then you can follow the instructions from page 5 of that setup doc. ie put it in neutral and hold the button in for 2 seconds to make it start beeping etc.

Having said that, it did nothing on mine - but I think mine is totally dead - some power issue somewhere. I suspect the button is buggered on mine, but needs further investigation!

Interesting - the label on the wire says COBRA as well....

The fuses arent in the fusebox - theyre inline. I think theres one behind the glovebox right by those plugs. And there another one in the back somewhere.

They all have toyota part numbers dont they - weird they wont supply the parts. The same system is on loads of Toyotas as well - if you search around, its on Rav4, avensis etc

Thanks for that!

I doubt it would be in that user manual, as its an installation thing. There is a function on that programming thing, READ OUT SYSTEM ERRORS; (see page 51 in that programming/setup doc; it can supposedly pinpoint a bad speaker, a bad sensor or a bad control unit. Who knows though...

Personally after my previous experience, I dont trust Mr T to diagnose anything on these.
Thanks for clarifying Karl, and sharing info. I will play along with this for a bit and get back if anything useful. The link that jibberjabber posted is the real thing, mine has been blocked, but still have web address. Good original source if replacing, cut out Mr T the middle man.

Yep. So, theres two connectors on that loom - (F) in installation guide. The dashboard light/button has a plug on the other end, which plugs into one of those connectors for normal use. The 'normal' connector has two wires going off it. The 'programing' connector only has one - just in case yours doesnt have the label on it!

So, unplug the button from the one its in, and shove it into the programming connector. Then you can follow the instructions from page 5 of that setup doc. ie put it in neutral and hold the button in for 2 seconds to make it start beeping etc.

Having said that, it did nothing on mine - but I think mine is totally dead - some power issue somewhere. I suspect the button is buggered on mine, but needs further investigation!
OK Karl, thanks. I will try to get the glove box out and do that ASAP. Wedding anniversary today, n she has plans, so may not be today, but I will deffo get back.

Commiserations, how much of you sentence have you done? hope the plans don't involve a noose:laughing-rolling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Its interesting I'm not the only one to have problems with it though!

From what I understand the switch was optional and its not always fitted - but if its there, its to turn off the parking sensors on the back in case you're towing something. On the left hand side of the boot, nearest the back seat - take that cubbyhole cover off (ie not the jack one, the other one further forward) - and if its fitted, the button is on the back wall in there. While youre there, if you take out the tray, and reach in, you can get to the control unit for it which will be velcro'd somewhere around the wheelarch - can just make sure its plugged in ok etc!
:laughing-rolling: Been wondering what that switch was for all this time and never figured it out!
I suppose its a bit usless really when you think how far you will really be reversing as they only come on when in reverse so why would you really need a swicth to isolate them? Its just as easy to use the one under the steering column to knock them off temporarily?
Simon

:laughing-rolling: Been wondering what that switch was for all this time and never figured it out!
I suppose its a bit usless really when you think how far you will really be reversing as they only come on when in reverse so why would you really need a swicth to isolate them? Its just as easy to use the one under the steering column to knock them off temporarily?
Simon
The rear switch is for when you are towing, otherwise every time you put in reverse you would get immediate and continuous beep, the front switch does fronts only. All this fromfrom the "Toyota" parking aid manual

Back