Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tranny Sump Plug?

Think you may have gotten lucky there and had the plug become the sacrificial part. Fingers crossed.

That's good that it is the plug for you, I was assuming my sump threads were knackered but like I said it accepted torque so I've buried my head in the sand since.

I'll get a new sump plug before I service mine next!

Still waiting for my bumper box of assorted sump plugs to arrive off eBay, so the jury's still out on whether the threads on the sump itself are still good.

Hopefully you'll find one that fits. I think they are pretty standard threads, if it makes you feel better I managed to sort out my missing coil plug with bolts from the hardware store!!

Well, comedy fans. Here's the latest instalment in this ridiculous episode.

Remember when, looking for a tranny sump plug on eBay, I randomly spotted a bloke selling a box of assorted sump plugs. So bought the lot for £35 [given an individual sump plug goes for about a fiver anyway]?

And remember how, with my legendary prescience, I opined:

Just think of the fun I can have tearing all those packets open... to find none of them fit!

Well, fast forward a week and, while my truck sits forlornly dribbling into a big plastic yoghurt pot [I must be up to nearly 5 litres drained by now] there was no sign of my parcel of sump plugs. I was busy with other stuff last week, so I didn't have time to chase up. But on Weds I got a card from the Post Office's Highway Robbery Department saying they had my parcel but, as the sender hadn't paid the right postage, I needed to cough up £4,20 if I ever wanted to see my sweet sump plugs alive.

This I duly did and the parcel arrived yesterday....

SS 2021-09-11 at 13.12.10.png

Well, there are as yet undiscovered tribes in the depths of the Amazonian jungle who could have predicted what happened next. But for those of you unfamiliar with my track record of amazing feats of good fortune...

I went through that box of dozens of sump plugs and... NOT... ONE... SINGLE... F**KING... ONE... was the same size as the tranny drain plug I took off this truck!

I then went online again, trying to find anywhere selling the damned thing. I found two possible part no.s and one online shop claiming to have them in stock --in America! I also unearthed a message on the IH8Mud forum where some other poor sod who'd similarly stripped his sump plug when draining his transmission was gleefully informed that Toyota had obsoleted the replacement drain plug because they'd intended that the transmission fluid was 'lifetime' and was never supposed to be changed. to which I mentally replied "Why did the feckers fit a drain plug at all then?"

I think that guy's skeleton is probably still lying under a Colorado somewhere with the finger bone wedged in the hole in the bottom of the sump.

So, today I've been through every jar, every toolbox, every plastic carton, of old random nuts and bolts I can find in the house --picking out anything which is the same diameter as this knackered sump plug, in the vain hope one of them will fit and I can cut it down to size. A task made infinitely more annoying by the fact the old plug is so stripped, I can't measure the thread spacing & pitch of any likely candidates against it. But instead will have to go crawling under the truck, with a pocketful of bolts to see if I can persuade one to bung the hole.

Sigh!

Stuz . . . .

Examine the old sump plug and post the:-

Outside (Major) diameter of the thread.
The length of the threaded portion.
The head size across the flats.
The thread pitch (presumably its metric so X.xx mm pitch - not TPI).

And I'll turn you a new one (and mill the head if I don't have suitable Hex Bar) :thumbup: .

It'll have to drip for a bit longer :icon-wink:.

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Bob. that's very kind of you.

However [fingers and toes crossed], I may have managed to contrapt something together that, in the finest traditions of long shots, 'might just work!'

Pull up a chair and some popcorn as we continue 'The Adventures of a Toyota Land Cruiser Rendered Undriveable by a 50p Part"...

As I said before, I hunted high and low round the house, trying to find something --Anything!-- with a likely looking diameter and thread pitch. A task made all the more difficult by the fact that the old plug is so fecked that it's barely got any threads left to compare to [which is why I'd find it difficult to supply you with the necessary spec, @BobMurphy ]...

20210911_152104.jpg

Hoping that, if I did find something that fitted, I could either cut it down to size or, if that wasn't feasible, at least have 'something' with the correct diameter and thread pitch to trundle off to B&Q with. In the end, I assembled this motley collection. [Yes, that thing with the wooden handle is off an old drill! You never know!]...

20210911_152118.jpg

Off out for a sojourn under the motor, while I tried inserting these various objects into its orifice [Ooh, er, Missus!].

I found that none of them would go in cleanly. Some wouldn't start at all and others would do a half turn or so and then stop turning any further, without resorting to a spanner and a bit of effort. So I surmised that the threads inside the sump itself are probably lightly mangled too. Either that or Toyota have contrived to use some unbelievably obscure thread pitch, all their very own.

Before resorting to further spanner inflicted violence, I thought I'd have one last trawl around the house, on the off-chance. So, back to the ranch and I came across this. An old Battery Isolation Switch, which I'd bought to fit to a camper I was building years ago and never got round to. Thank the lord for my dearly held, girlfriend-annoying principle of 'Don't Throw That Out. It Might Come In Handy!'...

20210911_152249.jpg

The terminals on that were also a likely looking size. So, after the switch had bravely sacrificed its life for the greater good...

20210911_152325.jpg

I was left with two of these...

20210911_152344.jpg

As you can see, comparing with what little is left of the original sump plug, it looks pretty close...

20210911_152452.jpg

One slight problem though. You know that old saying about 'Square Pegs and Round Holes'. This wasn't likely to make a very good seal round the drain hole...

20210911_152400.jpg

Still, I'm nothing if not resourceful [or is it 'too stupid to know better'? I can never tell the difference]. So I went back down to the truck again and tried my new candidate.

As with some of them before, it went in about half a turn and then stopped. But I reckoned, being made of copper, this particular bolt would be more easily persuaded to mould itself to whatever shape the threads in the sump were in, without actually causing any more damage to the sump itself.

There was still the problem of making a good seal though. So I threaded a nut and crush washer onto the bolt and then carefully tightened it into place with about as much penetration into the sump as the original would have had. [I could probably have wound it all the way in as there's quite a bit of clearance above the plug. But I didn't want to tempt fate and have it shear off and leave me with an even bigger problem. So I erred on the side of caution.

I then squeezed some red silicone in around the nut and washer and cinched them up tight. I'm hoping that the combination of the crush washer and the silicone will make a good enough seal to stop any leaks. I'll have to leave the silicone to cure overnight and then I'll chuck a bit of ATF in tomorrow and see what happens. I'm slightly disheartened that ATF [with Acetone] is one of the ingredients of DIY penetrating oil. So I reckon, if there is the slightest possibility for it to find a way down through the threads, it'll seize it with gusto.

But, anyway, here you have stuzbot's newly patented 'Double Adjustment Transmission Sump Plug'...

20210911_145009.jpg

Keep your fingers crossed for me folks!

Incidentally. Trivia fans will be interested to know that, when I got under the wagon today, there was still ATF dripping out of the sump, albeit at a rate of one drip every few seconds. So I reckon I must have had the full 5 litres out by now. And it makes me wonder whether, if you left it long enough [months?] you could actually completely drain the thing. My big yoghurt carton I left underneath to catch the last stray drips was about half full when I checked during the week. So that's about anothe half litre accumulated, just in slow dripping.

Last edited:
Oh mate, what have you done to someone, to rain all this s^*t down on you ?
I enjoy reading your blog, but feel your pain dealing with never ending aggro.
With your resourcefulness, you will eventually get to a stage soon, where you are happy to call it a day with at least a runner, or press on regardless. You WILL get there !!

Long shot, but might be worth giving a ring here (either for plug or plug specs):

Bob could Stuzbot post it to you cuz then if it goes wrong and does not fit its then your fault poor sod got enough on his drive
Saying that you are a Gentleman to offer a service to a member in much need of help
Just read that Flint only up the road from me and have been to that estate but never noticed them before good find

Oh mate, what have you done to someone, to rain all this s^*t down on you ?...
I dunno. I don't think it's anything I've done in this life. Because I'm so lovable I even catch me stealing admiring glances at myself sometimes. So I can only assume I must have been a complete c**t in a previous existence. Maybe that explains why I keep having that recurring dream about invading Poland.

Thanks all for the offers of help. Ridiculous to be stymied by such an insignificant part. I'll see how this botch job holds up when I throw some ATF in tomorrow and, if Fate craps on my eiderdown once again, I may be posting my old sump plug to @BobMurphy

Last edited:
There's your problem Stealing Glances just buy the the bloody mirror

I hate to say it but . . . .

img238.jpg

img239.jpg

Toyota show the plugs as costing less than Euro 3.00.

Plug Part Number 90341-10006 E2.82

Gasket Part Number 35178-30010 E2.22

I'll be placing and order with Simon Holton soon (panels & brackets for the '100'), shall I add these to the order ????

Might save a load of grief :whistle:.

Bob.

A Google on that part number suggests M10×1.5 which should be easy enough to source also.

I hate to say it but . . . .

Toyota show the plugs as costing less than Euro 3.00.

Plug Part Number 90341-10006 E2.82

Gasket Part Number 35178-30010 E2.22

I'll be placing and order with Simon Holton soon (panels & brackets for the '100'), shall I add these to the order ????

Cheers Bob.

Yes, like I said, I eventually found the part no. [well two possible part no.s] online. But no-one I tried [Roughtrax, Millners, Euro4x4] had them listed. Even my usually infallible trick of putting the part no. into Amazon or eBay and searching didn't turn anything up. The only place I found selling them was somewhere the US. Then, when I read on an IH8Mud forum post that the part was obsoleted it seemed to explain why I couldn't find it anywhere.

But, if you think Simon Holton would have them, yes, please add one to your order and I'll sort you out for pennies and postage. Thanks!

Built in copper washer!!

I know. If only it had a round end, instead of square! But I'm hoping a copper bolt will be a good choice for a fitting where the threads are possibly damaged. It'll deform itself to the required shape a lot more readily than a steel one

There's your problem Stealing Glances just buy the the bloody mirror

Boom!

And may I further add...

Tish!

A Google on that part number suggests M10×1.5 which should be easy enough to source also.

Nice one. I wasn't able to find any specs on it. Your Google-Fu must be better than mine.

If those specs are kosher then it's such a run of the mill thread size, that one or more of the various threaded doo-dads I tried unsuccessfully should have been a direct fit. This reinforces my hunch that the threads in the sump itself are no longer as nature intended. Although thankfully not as completely mangled as the drain plug itself. I am at least able to get things to screw in there, albeit with a bit of effort, which means there's some kind of usable thread left. But I'm wary of leaning too hard on the spanner, in case I either strip the threads in the sump itself, so nothing will hold... or shearing off a bolt, leaving nothing to grip onto to turn it back out and with ATF leaking out round the stump.

Under the circumstances, perhaps a 'soft' copper bolt is the least worst option.

Anyway, in other progress reports, I've been out first thing this morning and put 2 1/2 litres of ATF in. I'm leaving it for a couple of hours to let gravity do its thing and then I'll go back out and see what the drip situation is like. Fingers crossed any leakage there is will be insignificant enough to allow me to top up the other 2,5 litres and get the truck back on the road again.

I've just tried that part no. on eBay that @BobMurphy unearthed and, oddly enough it's showed up [only in America again] as a tranny drain plug for a Jeep or Lexus. Lexus, of course being 'Posh Toyota'. I 'm surprised the two share parts and part no.s. I didn't know there was any kind of tie-up between Toyota and Jeep. You'd think they'd see each other as rivals, rather than potential business partners:

SS 2021-09-12 at 12.09.08.png

Weird that it's so readily available in the US [6 different sellers] and rare as hen's teeth over here. Maybe it's because most motors in US are autos, so flushing auto boxes and stripping drain plug threads is more of a hobby over there than it is here?

Try the jeep parts sellers in the UK got to be some over here or Lexus dealers
However in saying that with your track record would it not be good sense and wait until Bob gets the right one first time

Stuz,

I have a bag of stainless M10 x 1.5 Setscrews:

DSCN0183.JPG

PM me your address and I'll send one to you.

I'll turn it down to a more suitable length and add a washer and copper sealing ring (if I can find an appropriate one) :icon-wink: .

I'll also have a search amongst my collection of sump plugs for one with M10 x 1.5mm thread.

Bob.

Back