Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transfer case / diffs (no oil)

pemaldini

Country Flag
uk
Hi. Reading through this thread as it somewhat resembles an issue that has just developed on my (3rd hand imported from UK to Zambia) Toyota Landcruiser Prado (1kd engine & I think 2003 or 4 model, does that make it a Series 120 ?) c. 100,000miles. I've noticed recently a slight clunk/thud when engaging the automatic gearbox from Park to Drive or to Reverse. Then yesterday I noticed that as I began to accelerate a little harder as I drove off there was the beginning of a clicking/ratcheting noise (didn't appear to come from behind but hard to tell where from exactly). As I eased off the power the sound went away. I was able to maintain around 80mph (with no noise) to reach home 30mins later.

As I live in Zambia and am a farmer in a rural area I don't have immediate access to a quality mechanic. A local chap that we use for more benign issues has taken a look and reckons front and back diffs were quite low on oil and the transfer box was dry ! Am in the process of replacing all gear oil and am wondering how wise it would be to continue driving the vehicle thereafter? What is the chance the noise will be dealt with? What else should one be checking?

Thank you for taking the time to read through this.

Somewhat of an update. After having drained and replaced the diff oils and put everything back together the noise is still there if not worse. If the shaft from the transfer case to the front diff is disconnected leaving only 2.x4 from the rear diff the noise goes away. Suggestion now is a borked transfer box?

Back