Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transmission Question

Okay - this might not be your issue BUT it was mine. I had a similar 'soft' clunk when turning and transferring weight from corner to corner. Drove me mad when I tried tracking it down - couldn't find it until it broke completely

So check all your roll bar mounting brackets and rubber bushes.... for me it was the drivers side roll bar mounting bracket on the front axle that was slowly being pulled away and soft clunked every time it flexed...

I think everything has pretty much been covered Mark. Check the brake calliper bolts, pads moving in callipers, wheel nuts, yep seen that. Also the bushes that locate the axle fore and aft. Prop shaft has been mentioned but it would not 'know' you are turning and not moving forward, although it would be turning slightly slower than the front. Shock absorber mounts can give you 'clonks' as well.

If you are convinced it is in the axle, you could remove the rear prop shaft, lock the centre and try it in FWD only, this would take the driven load off the axle, if you still get the clonk then it is unlikely to be in the axle as there is no load and more likely a bearing not tight enough, the play showing up as the weight shifts when you corner or, it could be a bush?

Can't think of anything else at ATM.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
I had the front anti-roll bar axle mount bracket crack as well. It was creaky/clunky for ages before it snapped, then it was clunky as the free end was contacting stuff it hadn't auta.

A decent bit of welding soon had it shipshape but for weeks I couldn't locate the clunk, as it was only cracked at that stage and it was flexing under load.

Back