Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Travel books

warrenpfo

Not quite navigation but it would seem the best place for this question.

I wondered if anyone had n opinion on which guide books are best for traveling through various countries.

Would it be, Lonely planet, Look Inside, Rough Guide, DK-Eyewitness-Travel Guide etc

I've only used one of those you mention, Rough Guide, when I went to Toronto for the first time, got to admit it was helpful that was back in '74 though.

Last edited:
Depends on what you want to use it for! LP is basically a quick overview if your a dumb US/Aussie college student whose idea of travelling is drinking, laughing at different cultures and generally only up for 'on the beaten track' stuff. Rough guideis a slightly more in depth version aimed at the same crowd when they hit 30 something. Have only used one DK eyewitness guide, in Bulgaria, not that bad, but still pretty low brow, main stream stuff, limited detail but at least mentions a bit more. Out of them all, the Bradt guides are generally the best, but its very author dependant as a free rein seems to be given, for a bit more in depth views on out of the way places. Problem is Bradt is often crap for hotels and food, usually way out of date. They recommend a semi derelict hotel here and there!! And I once decided to look for a restaurant in Bosnia, in Foca IIRC that was actually a really seedy den, and I've been in some rough places in my time but this was the pits............ and they didn't do food at all. Best bet I think is Bradt for sights and culture and really any of the rest, just the most recently published for lodgings and food if you like help with that side of things. But look on Amazon and read the reviews first because there are some totally duff guides for some countries.

In preparation for my Russian bike trip I bought the Eastern Europe Lonely Planet book and they allso gave me pdf's offall the countries. Sadly it was a waste of money as I never used it..... :whistle:

In the end we did most of our research online and for hotels we used Booking.com which had hotels listed even in the shitty little places in Russia...

perhaps some more context would have helped give an informed decision.

Its for our trip down through France, Belgium, Switzerland and Italy.

More of a general over view and a bit of history of the surroundings, rather than this is where the cheapest hotel is and how to survive off a £5 a day.

I like to be able to give a running commentary of places and gain some insight as to what things to see/do in an area.

I will have a look at Amazon.

It is more the Bradt or the eyewitness you are looking for then.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back