Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Travelling Braai (Barbeque)

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
I've been on the lookout for a decent braai to use in the UK / Europe for a while, seeing as, unlike southern Africa, no built-in braai facilities seem to exist in camp-sites, and you're not allowed to make a naked fire. I wanted something that packed up fairly small, yet still allowed me to do wors and chops and a bit of fillet for SWMBO.

I also wanted something that allowed me to make a 'kuier-vuur', or sort of camp-fire / chat fire, when we'd finished cooking and were chilling out. So that rules out a gas braai, fortunately!

The first one I've found is the Weber Go-Anywhere:

weber_go_anywhere_portable_bbq_xl.jpg

weber%20go%20anywhere%20grill.jpg

Packs up quite small, except for the sticky-out handles, and the cooking area isn't too bad, but not great for mor than 3 people, really.

This retails in various on-line stores for between £45 - £50, and seems to be typical Weber quality, i.e. pretty good.

I was about to get one, when I spotted this today:

Braai%20with%20Pot%20&%20Cup%2002.JPG

from BOAB (http://www.boab.biz/index.htm)

There's a spec-sheet here:

http://www.boab.biz/images/BOAB Ultimate Braai Factsheet.pdf

Size is good, and it packs up much smaller than the Weber:

Carry Size: 43 x 35 x 10.5cm
Size Opened: 43 x 35 x 39cm high
Coal Box: 40 x 30 x 28cm off ground
Griddle Plate: 405 x 305mm (16” x 12”)
Table Height: 30cm off ground
Shipping Wt: 10kg (22lb packed shipping weight)
Price inc VAT: £94:99 + P&P (negotiate!!)

This looks more like what I was after :cool:. It has a griddle-plate for a fry-up, a hook for the potjie, and a multi-level grid. It also is sturdy enough for the roaring wood fire to go with a nice glass of shiraz with my wors and chops ;)

Spoke to Chris at BOAB, and he quoted me the special price they're currently running, so one is now on it's way to me :lol:

Some will say this is overkill, but it works for me - oh, and it's Proudly South African too :cool:

I'll test it out next weekend. :D

I like that BOAB one, let us know what you think ;)

I thought you were hard up for space. If you went veggie and stopped drinking biers you'd have enough room to take one of your childers with you, eh?

I like the Cobb BBQ but pricey.

But I just need to get around to making one of these

Picture9.jpg

Chris

Yep slaves are always useful but you know how it goes ...

That grid is useful but means another firebox underneath it or am I missing the point?

It goes on your bonnet, Gary. :lol:

I have made a prototype and that does have a fire tray.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back