Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

trev.w

trev.w

Country Flag
england
Hi guys,new to this site and I'm after some help with a problem with my 97 l/cruiser,I recently changed the two metal pipes on the power steering(non toyota parts a diy fix) since doing this the steering is ok at driving speeds but really heavy when doing manoeuvres like parking etc,lve bled the system several times by turning wheel lock to lock,wheels off the ground but no change,ive even disconnected the low pressure pipe from the resovoir and bled a couple of ltrs of fluid thru the system into a container and its still the same,anyone got an idea wot the problem could be(everything worked ok till I changed the pipes)

power steering bleeding problem

Oops forgot to put a title on my thread lol

Is there any bubbles showing in the reservoir? If so then consider checking connections for air getting in, also you mention non OE parts, if there are any acute bends or incorrect bore sizes this could restrict flow at slow (idle) speeds?

regards

Dave

Check all your vacuum pipes are on and the wires coming from the power steering pump are secure. I think there is extra assistance at low road speed but tbh don't know exactly how how it works.

Got no bubbles showing in resovoir now after bleeding,all connections seem ok,bled 5 ltrs of dexron 3 thru the system yesterday,still not much better,the pipes I made up have no acute bends on them,but I have noticed today after comparing the old pipe to the new that the bore on the old looks slightly a bigger I/d,maybe this could affectu flow?I'll also check the vacuum pipes etc as frank rabbets suggested

Back