Trip to Norway / Iceland??

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
Hi all,

Starting to wonder about something totally different for (maybe) next year or 2013 ... a trip through Norway and Iceland ... in summer! I'd like to take in the Norwegian Atlantic Bridge Road (apparently the best road trip in the world) :

ImageVaultHandler.aspx

and then do a bit of sight-seeing in Iceland.

Anyone done this from the UK - tips / traps / routes - what to see and what to avoid ... I've not really done any planing / research yet, so very early days. Anyone interested in joining in?

Cheers

I have both of these trips on my to to within the next couple of years list. Would this be 2 trips or one?

Err - umm - shoot, I dunno - was thinking just one, as a recce trip, to go back again another time for longer to just the good bits. Don't think there's much true off-roading allowed in Norway?

I don't know much about Norway but there are some really remote places in northern Sweden with really unsealed roads/tracks. I was hoping to do Scandinavia as one trip and Iceland as a completely different trip as I don't expect to get more than 2 weeks holiday at a time. I know Iceland is has got loads of off road stuff, but its difficult to drive too as they have axed the ferrey service from the UK, now goes from Denmark:
Routes-COM.jpg

I'm game, definately, even as two trips. There's no commercial ferries to Norway or Sweden from the UK any more though, but I'm sure I heard of a private charter company running out of the north east somewhere.... might be worth checking out

You can take a ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg in Denmark Jim, I know someone who uses it several times a year traveling between London and Malmo in Sweden.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'd be interested if the timing was right, I went to Norway many years ago and have kept saying I'd go back :) More interested in that direction than going any further south than this years trip :)

Rob said:
You can take a ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg in Denmark Jim, I know someone who uses it several times a year traveling between London and Malmo in Sweden.
This is part of the route. ^^^^

I did it the opposite way, a couple of years ago.

Ferry from Larvik to Hirtshals
Drive from Hirtshals to Esbjerg, about 250 miles I think
Overnight ferry from Esbjerg to Harwich.

It didn't cost much on the ferrys,

G.

I'm very tempted :think:

I'm sure there s post a while back by someone who containered two lcs and posted them to iceland for not to much...

Sent from TapaTalk

before the axed the Newcastle > Bergen ferry, we had a trip on that about 4yrs ago. Took the subaru forester, and were intending to drive to Tromso and back via Lofoten islands.
However, a snapped wheel stud in Trondheim delayed us a day, and we had realized it was going to take an age to drive to Tromso (another 2 days) at the strict 50mph max speed limit on the roads.
So we headed back south through the mountains and Fjordlands, and onto Geilo. A much better option, less driving and more doing things.

Iceland would be great, but would take several days (6?) to get there and back

Back