Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Troopy "hardtop" vs ?

cannedcruiser

Country Flag
canada
I often see "hardtop" used to describe certain Troopies, but I have never seen a description of what that means. I believe it means metal vs fiberglass, but not positive. There are no canvas covered 75s or 78s are there? What is the true difference and how do I determine which models have what?

As far as I know a troopy is a troppy with no variants in body style

Did the 40 series troopie come with a fibreglass roof or steel roof as options? Thats all i can suggest that may fit?

Most 40 ones I have seen were metal

I think it depends on the model. For instance an FJ45 Wagon had a steel roof whereas the 45 Troopy had fibreglass. 45 pickups had either f/g or steel depending upon whether the top was removable.
With so many model variances and market destinations i don't think it can be said that a particular series (40 or 70) would always be either steel or f/g.

Regards,

Rodger

OK, I found this list of various 70 series. It indicates "soft top" and "frp top", which are both removable. Where it indicates "hard top" the roofs are fixed (not removable). So, I think that explains that bit, but still I am not sure if all 70 series hard tops are metal or some are fiberglass.

Body Type
m70_pic8.jpg

SOFT TOP / 2 DOOR / SHORT BODY PZJ70

m70_pic9.jpg

HARD TOP / 2 DOOR / SHORT BODY HZJ70V

m70_pic10.jpg

FRP TOP / 2 DOOR / MIDDLE BODY HZJ73V

m70_pic11.jpg

HARD TOP / 2 DOOR / SHORT BODY LJ71G

m70_pic12.jpg

HARD TOP / 4 DOOR / SEMI-LONG BODY HZJ77HV

m70_pic13.jpg

HARD TOP / 4 DOOR / LONG BODY HZJ75V

m70_pic14.jpg

PICK UP / 2 DOOR HZJ75P

m70_pic15.jpg

HARD TOP / 4 DOOR / LONG BODY LJ78W

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
OK, I found this list of various 70 series. It indicates "soft top" and "frp top", which are both removable. Where it indicates "hard top" the roofs are fixed (not removable). So, I think that explains that bit, but still I am not sure if all 70 series hard tops are metal or some are fiberglass.

Body Type
m70_pic8.jpg

SOFT TOP / 2 DOOR / SHORT BODY PZJ70

m70_pic9.jpg

HARD TOP / 2 DOOR / SHORT BODY HZJ70V

m70_pic10.jpg

FRP TOP / 2 DOOR / MIDDLE BODY HZJ73V

m70_pic11.jpg

HARD TOP / 2 DOOR / SHORT BODY LJ71G

m70_pic12.jpg

HARD TOP / 4 DOOR / SEMI-LONG BODY HZJ77HV

m70_pic13.jpg

HARD TOP / 4 DOOR / LONG BODY HZJ75V

m70_pic14.jpg

PICK UP / 2 DOOR HZJ75P

m70_pic15.jpg

HARD TOP / 4 DOOR / LONG BODY LJ78W

None of those are troopies except the white one described as a hard top, 4 door long body HZJ75V
The troopie is so called because it is designed originally as a troop carrier with 2 rows of sideways facing seats in the rear. As standard I believe they are hardtop although soft top conversions are available.

Correct. It does identify 3 different roof applications within the 70 series, but it does not answer what I'd really like to know, which is: Has the HZJ78 been produced in anything other than a steel roof? If so, how would I identify the difference by reading a description?

Correct. It does identify 3 different roof applications within the 70 series, but it does not answer what I'd really like to know, which is: Has the HZJ78 been produced in anything other than a steel roof? If so, how would I identify the difference by reading a description?
I'm a bit confused now, as I understand it, the OP was about the troopy, which I believe is fibre glass hardtop (but I couldn't swear to it, it might be metal) as I described above, but the 78 hardtop is, as far as I am aware, a more standard style hardtop 'estate car' if you like, with a tin roof, but isn't a troopy. The SWB 70s came with either a removable fibreglass hard top, a metal hardtop or a soft top.

As I understand it from 1999 on the 78 model is the troopy, the 76 the hardtop station wagon, although that contradicts what you posted above. The 79 was the pickup.
Prior to that the 78 and 79 were the troopy and 76 the tin top estate

Last edited:
That is exactly right
[QUOTE=" Has the HZJ78 been produced in anything other than a steel roof? If so, how would I identify the difference by reading a description?[/QUOTE]
Don't think so

Ha ha, where's the Troopy god to sort us all out? I thought I was starting to get a bit of a handle on the series numbers, but I just realized earlier this morning that 78 series is not necessarily a Troopy, just as you mentioned. So, what I think I'm getting from you is the "hard top" moniker refers to the non-Troopy steel roof vehicle otherwise it's a fiberglass roof Troopy?

Likely all of you here have more knowledge on this than I do at this point, but can anyone confirm this for certain?

Well I own a 2011 steel roofed troopy, also as far as I know on modern models it goes like this
76 = wagon
78 = troop carrier
79 = pickup in a few variants

Oh man. OK, so all I know for certain is your 2011 RHD 78 Troopy has a steel roof.
I'm searching for a 2001-2004 LHD HZJ78 (Troopy) to import into Canada. It may have a steel roof, then again it may not I guess?

It appears that "hard top" refers to the 4 door wagon 78. So what does "hard top" actually mean if they both have steel roofs and full door posts surrounding the window?

In N. America we use "hard top" or "post" to describe the door design. Hard top means a car would have no metal frame around the window when wound down, as opposed to a post which has the metal frame around the window whether wound up or down. Is that described the same where you are? I own a 1958 Chevy Bel Air 4 door hard top, so when the front and rear windows are down there is one big uninterrupted opening. A 4 door post would have two smaller openings.

It will be steel for sure at that age, and never heard of a 78 wagon only a 76

I'm 99% confident to say:
  • Factory built 7x series Troopys are steel roof only. Unlike a 45/47 they aren't the giant mechano kit to the same extent with a mix of replacement parts (for example, my HJ45 has a steel roof on at the moment, but there is a fibreglass one waiting to be fitted up) The utes, soft top SWB and MWB are though...
  • The only factory fibreglass topped one is the 73 series (in either "light" or "heavy")
I think it's just the language that people use, especially if they're used to Land Rovers, where this would be the equivalent to a Hardtop or a Hardtop with Windows (they had a special name in the brochures, but can't find it...)

I'm 99% confident to say:
  • Factory built 7x series Troopys are steel roof only. Unlike a 45/47 they aren't the giant mechano kit to the same extent with a mix of replacement parts (for example, my HJ45 has a steel roof on at the moment, but there is a fibreglass one waiting to be fitted up) The utes, soft top SWB and MWB are though...
  • The only factory fibreglass topped one is the 73 series (in either "light" or "heavy")
I think it's just the language that people use, especially if they're used to Land Rovers, where this would be the equivalent to a Hardtop or a Hardtop with Windows (they had a special name in the brochures, but can't find it...)
Thanks Paddler Ed. Here's an example of what I've been seeing.
https://www.toyota-gib.com/eng/vehicle-sales/models-by-usage.html

Nah, it's just the language used...

In Australia, they're called Troop Carrier (Troopy) or Wagon, so I'd put it down to the language used for that sales market. Toyota Gibraltar are likely to be selling to NGOs who wouldn't be keen on buying something named in such a militaristic manner as a Troop Carrier (even though in the UK, the old minibuses that were the same configuration were crew buses)

https://www.toyota.com.au/main/landcruiser-70/range

Back