Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Truck Driving

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
Well its been a while I suppose, sunning myself in Australia and living the high life :icon-cool:

Sadly might be all coming to an end due to the worldwide downturn in the Agricultural business so will need to sort something new back in the UK

I know we have a few truck drivers on here (the big stuff) and I used to do a bit when I was based in the UK years ago and again in the Middle East but only day or short runs with big loads like machinery or generators. I am interested in going back to it full time and wondered what its like doing it at home or through Europe as there is loads in the press about a shortage of drivers.

Worth it?

There is a longer term objective to this plan, but this would be the start.

truck driving has changed alot i expect since you left. I have not done general trucking but hgv recovery for a while. You need a cpc rubbish which means you need to sit a couple of exams and then do some class room stuff its about 7 hours every 5 years or something like that. There is not much money in it any more as people from outside the uk accept alot less per hour. most agentcy jobs are really not what you want to do. class2 is around £8.50HR and class 1 is £9.00 or up this is in bristol so i will not entertain driving a lorry at those prices to be fair. I have even spoken to hgv tanker drivers that were on £8.75/hr to drive around in a petrol tanker no thanks.
there was a car recovery job i applied for needed a C1 so you can tow trailers as well and they only wanted to pay minimum wage
You might find some good work i am just going on figures i have seen on job sites if you know people you might get a bit better rates.
Stu

Thanks Stu, that just the kind of stuff I was after, confirms also what I have been reading. Its always surprising when there is a demand for workers that the pay stays low, its the same in my trade. Cheers

When i left the business i couldnt find anything near the wages i was getting by a long way and now i get paid a lot more to sit behind a desk which i just find crazy. My licences cost £2500 to do now its worth less.

Cpc training is 35 hours every 5 years and it's a case of sitting there getting bored for 7 hours at a time, some of its interesting as I got taught to drive a lorry not what all the rules and regs are. My boss likes to point out that I'm the highest paid class 2 driver in hertfordshire, not sure what the hourly rate is but I smile when I get paid but then I'm used to crappy £1000 a month jobs. Only been doing it a few years and not bored yet:icon-biggrin:

I thought truck driving in Oz was fantastically well paid, I'd stay there and get a driving job, traffics better as well!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
spent near 10 years driving fuel tanker road trains out off Freemantle WA before home sick wife brought us home.:icon-rolleyes:

Anyhow, the up side is the great pay and relaxed legislation that allows you to work the hours to earn decent living.
Down side for me was never being home. Real issue when started family.

Returning to driving back in the UK came as bit of a shock with all the new European laws including the ridiculous money generating CPC and working time directives.

Thankfully grabbed our OZ passports before leaving so hopefully a few more crap winters will show the other half the errors of her ways:pray:

Dave.

Back