Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Turbo cutting out at when accelerating hard LC90 3.0TD

BATFINK

Im having a problem with my LC90 colorado 3.0td 1999 plate.

The Turbo is cutting out when under heavy pressure, accelerating hard up to 75/80mph while on the motorway. I am getting the little turbo warning light, which looks like a little double ended tap.

I used to have a diesel audi and had almost exactly the same problem.

If i stop and switch the engine off and on again and rev the engine from under the bonnet i can hear the turbo spinning up and performance has pretty much returned but can soon cut off again under hard acceleration.
Has anybody had this problem and what was wrong?

Symptoms: turbo cutting out when under hard acceleration. warning light for turbo appears and i think the car is driving completely without the turbo. if engine is switched off and on turbo works again.

possible problem: ive heard everything from sticking turbo vanes to a faulty MAF sensor?

Could i fix this with one of those turbo cleaner sprays such as "wynns turbo cleaner?"

You need to get the ecu codes read to diagnose that. Could be anything at all from excess boost to a faulty sensor.
What's happening is the ecu is detecting an out of spec condition somewhere so putting itself into limp mode - this is a default safe mode to get you to a dealer without causing damage to the engine.

Common causes can be fuel issues (low pressure, high pressure), Turbo issues, sensor issues (MAF, MAP,fuel sensors - pick one) or sometimes EGR issues.

Thanks, i will get my friend to connect it to his little diagnostics thing and see what it says, cheers

Look for a split pipe before digging to deep into your wallet :icon-biggrin:

I had the exact same issue with my VW Passat, ECU would trip into limp mode if I gave the car some beans off a roundabout etc. Used to happen just one a month or so then became worse and worse to doing in 15+ times in one journey to Devon!!! Same thing would all be fine after turning off engine and restarting, but put the car under some load, hard acceleration etc she'd trip into limp mode. Was advised to check for splits in the low pressure and high pressure turbo pipework, but none found!!! Then purely by chance found a thin plastic pipe about the diameter of a biro inner coming from the low pressure pipe to a solenoid with a split in it!!! Popped a repair over it and all has be fine since, cost less than a tenner :icon-biggrin:

Only need a paperclip to read the error codes - is that jotted down somewhere? It's standard on pre-OBD toyotas (1996 and earlier, some early OBD toyotas have it as well) but I've not yet seen a list of error codes for Landcruisers!

Might do a how-to on it, but here's a description: Locate the "Diagnostics" port in the engine bay, flip the lid on it and you'll see a socket, the pinout for the socket should be printed on the inside of the lid. Using a paperclip, bridge the terminal [Te1] and [E1] then turn the ignition to "On" (don't start it). The engine warning light should start blinking. Steady (half second) pulses = no error code, error codes are two digits, rapid (0.2sec) blinks, a short pause (half second), then more rapid blinks. Count the number of rapid blinks for each code. Further codes will be seperated by a longer (1 second) pause. After running through the list, it loops.

cheers guys i will check all the pipes first and might give the paperclip method a try

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
could be the rubber pipe that feeds the wastegate actuator on the turbo, if that fails then the turbo builds more and more pressure until the ECU cuts in to stop it destroying the engine!

Back