Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Turbo light

Mine comes on about 16 psi under heavy load.

I take it you've had the boost increased from standard? The boost actuator (waste gate) should operate between 12.8 - 13.9 psi max. If the boost hasn't been intentionally increased it sounds like your actuator is sticking.

Maybe this pipe is leaking which would make your turbo work overtime
TS%20XR6%20Actuator_2.jpg
the skinny black pipe going from the actuator to the turbo?

Yeah if its leaking the pressure might never build up enough to open the wastegate properly so once the turbo kicks in its just keeps on going until the engine drops back down to idle . Just a theory i would expect others to say ye or nae to .

Last edited:
Yes towpack. I have a hallman boost controller and boost gauge. Was set at 11 psi stock.

I think the light is actually an LED, unsure as I have never taken it out? More reliable than a bulb, so if it is an LED then Toyota clearly thought it important to make that change? I have only seen the light when starting the engine during the bulb check.

Re the whistle, mine has always whistled when pulling away, or more so when climbing out of the underground garage as there is a steep ramp so you have to give it a few 'beans' to pull the car up there, the sound is more pronounced as it bounces of close walls. I have heard a slight whistle on different LC's I have worked on (7) and would point to the LR TD5 engine, always whistles even when new, so doubt it is the sound of impending doom.

regards

Dave

The early 12v models had two lights and they lost the one indicating 'turbo spinning at boost' or something during the changes with the bigger brakes... My 91 12v had two lights, my 94 12v has only one for over temperature (which has only ever lit during the start up sequence) I would make the leap that the 24v only has the one for over temperature.

The turbo whistle is more noticeable if a freer (or leaky) exhaust is fitted.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had my 24v 80 at 30K miles and it's now 140K miles. The light has never come on and the turbo is as good as ever.
Same Is the case with me i own an 97 landcruiser vx limited 4.2TD never ever seen turbo light goes green or any color during drive , instead of it glows only when i turns on the ignition. . . . .

On the subject of turbo lights I noticed the other day when I press the horn button on my 12v 80 the green turbo light comes on but only when the engine is running when it is below it's usual speed for having the light come on, if that makes sense.

On the 12 valve hdj81 there are two lights on the dash for the turbo. The green one indicates that the turbo is making boost and from looking at my boost gauge it seems to come on at about 3-4 psi so not the best indicator but better than nothing. The red light comes on at approximately 15 psi. This indicates that your turbo is putting out more than Mr T decided was safe for your engine.

We mostly all know that this is not really set in stone as there are many people running 20-25 psi of boost with appropriate tuning and intercooling and they seem to survive. But the red light is annoying if you want to run more than factory max boost. The switches are mounted on the side of the air cleaner housing and have a pressure line running to them from the cross over pipe. They are linked together. As far as I know pulling the wires off the high pressure switch will stop the red led from coming on.

Back